Your Favorite Drum Solo?

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

Wow, that’s really good! Still, I couldn’t listen to all of it. Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich were even more interesting and amazing, but not being a drummer it’s not enough to hold my attention for long. But they both had orchestras and didn’t play extremely long solos either.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Wow, that’s really good! Still, I couldn’t listen to all of it. Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich were even more interesting and amazing, but not being a drummer it’s not enough to hold my attention for long. But they both had orchestras and didn’t play extremely long solos either.
Similarly, I'm not a drum solo type. I'm amazed that Carl is still performing/touring at 72 and still does 10-minute+ extremely athletic solos which would kill most normal people.

Krupa and Rich were some of his early influences...he's essentially a jazz drummer who went prog. An official Prog God, he's been at the top of the list many many times.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
When my drummer son was a teenager in the late 90s I used to take him to the drum workshop/demo days organised by the magazine Modern Drummer in exotic places like Chelmsford.
We heard loads of top drummers indulging themselves, demos and talks from e.g. Steve Gadd and Chad Smith but the one whose music I remember is Akira Jimbo.

The other one I remember for quite different reasons was a very Big Name whose roadies spent over an hour putting up the biggest kit I've ever seen. A bit like this

1e07470a3344562e9690fc1425f069ac.jpg

He played for under 20 minutes. He didn't make any fans that day.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I'm sure at some point most of us who love music pick up on a drum solo that stands out, for me it's the fantastic solo from[Alan Dawson] on Dave Brubeck's[Together Again For The First Time]... what say you?
Neil Peart's drum solo on A Show of Hands comes to mind.

So does the following joke:

An anthropologist is visiting a primitive society. One night, he hears drums beating in the distance. Concerned, he asks one of the tribesmen what's up with the drums. The native says "Drums ok, but if drums stop very bad--run away."

The drums beat on for an hour. Still uneasy, the anthropologist asks again if things are ok. Again, the native replies "Drums ok, but if drums stop very bad -- run away."

After another hour, the drums stop. The native stops dead in his tracks and looks up and says "Drums stop! Very bad! Run away!!"

Scared now, the anthropologist asks what happens next.

The native replies "Bass solo!"

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Malcolm Mortimer played some really clever and interesting solos.

My favorite would be one of many solos our incredibly creative drummer knocked out every show back in our prog days around 1970.

Tight as a metronome but never seemed to play the same thing twice.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
There’s a track called Talkin Drums by Kenny Clare and Ronnie Stephenson on the the album Drum Spectacular from 1966. Still the best solo / duet drums ever recorded. Highly musical and inventive. Terrific.

UPtele

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Not a solo but watching this guy power through a song is cool.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My favorite 'solo' is the crack of the snare drum ( followed by a muted bass drum kick) that launches " Like A Rolling Stone"
by Bob Dylan
- this song ( IMO) just put the R&R and the world into a new dimension, and it started with that beat!

As for real drum solos, I'll go with the magnificently locked-in ones by the Allman Brothers Jaimoe, and Butch Trucks. ( usually during ABB instrumentals)

Their solo during "Mountain Jam" ( LIVE at Ludlow Garage) is a real thing of jazz beauty:

- first the two drummers go back and forth on a great frantic swing of their own, and then,
they support a 6 minute, growly, super-amped up bass solo by Berry Oakley- and the 3 players are like a relentless locomotive!

How they could play this entire "Mountain Jam" ( drummers are playing non-stop thru piece, about 45 minutes total) is remarkable- as they are making real music ( not just bashing) the entire song.

This band was breathtaking!
Here is entire jam:

Last edited: