Your Favorite Drum Solo?

Pcs264

Tele-Meister

I was a semi-pro drummer for several years before moving over to guitar, and I actually never really liked drum solos very much (I much prefer hearing Ringo or Levon or Stan Lynch play for the song)....but this one still just blows me away after all these years. The brilliant Bernard Purdie, with King Curtis at The Fillmore. The "drum solo" starts at about 0:35 and lasts for all of 20 seconds or so.

And this entire song is well worth your listening time, for Bernard's playing as well as everyone else in this amazing band. One of the all time greatest live albums.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
this...

I saw BR as a 13 year old drummer. 1975.
Sat nearly right in front of his kit. Front row.

(Was upset with my mom because we arrived late, room was packed with the back wall lined with folks standing. only two seats available, in front of his kit.).

Yeah...ears were ringing after.
Saw him about 6 times. Every show top notch. Band was always impeccable. Didn't care much for his personality, but the guy had chops and was a great musician.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
Out of all the drummers in the 70s, there was a lot of great but under valued drummers. Barriemore Barlow from Jethro Tull is one of them.

I think if I were to choose a bunch of underappreciated drummers, Bill Ward, Barriemore Barlow and Carl Palmer would be on that list.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I can’t say I remember because I usually take that time to drain the lizard or have a smoke. But the one that sorta sticks in my mind is Frankenstein. There’s a drum solo in there right?
I forgot about that one! Now that’s actually a fun solo to listen to, an exception. But, I remember being at a concert years ago when the Allman Bros we’re headining. I had been there all day. At some point the drummers decided to do a solo and the rest of the band walked offstage, so I knew it was gonna be a long one. After several minutes, I started leaving because I was tired and the solo was boring even though they were both great drummers. The concert was downtown by the river in Memphis, so as I was leaving and getting near my car I could still hear the drums reverberating off the buildings, and it took about 5 minutes to get to my car! I’m over solos, even long guitar solos, at concerts. Never cared for them actually. But apparently a lot of people love them, I guess.
The exception would be a virtuoso guitarist playing melodically by himself, like Tommy Emmanuel or Chet Atkins.

effzee

Tele-Holic
Joe Franco on Klash Ka Bab with the Good Rats, because this takes me back to good times, best times of my life, in fact. I love this so much 😊

Uploaded by the man himself. It's quirky and fun and amazing