Your favorite compressor and experiences

loudboy

Tele-Holic
I had a vintage Dynacomp, but it really has a sound, and I was looking for something that just evened things out and was more transparent.

Went with an Xotic SP and love it.

I use it on Low, with the left knob at noon and the right one at 2:00. Does just what I need it to do. I use it for clean only, turn it off when I turn on the OD.

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
I’ve played a number of comps over the years. The one thing I’ve found in common is that “less is more”.
I’ll start with the low setting, raise it gradually while playing until I can hear it. I then back it off a little.
Note: This will not give that pop, clank, squashed “effect compression”. That is a specialized rather than generalized application.
I have not had the pleasure of playing an optical build though. One must have something to look forward to in life.

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
Under the heading of experiences, I had years ago a TC Electronics Sustain/Parametric EQ that was pretty amazing. I mostly used it for recording but wish I still had it. I think the original version sells for big bucks these days.

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
I've had a Philosopher's Tone for years now and it does the job. The blend and treble controls are very useful for dialing it in. You can go from some gentle comp to full-on squash. It also has a knob to add distortion, but I never use it.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I have always loved the sound and feel of my Tele or Strat through a BOSS CS-2.

The CS-3 gets a little plunky for my liking, as do the Dyna Comp, Keeley and many others. Blend controls (when available) help with this, but IMO... the CS-2, when used subtly, does not need a blend. It just provides a little voodoo to the signal.

As with most stomp compressors - I find even the CS-2 is not capable of getting subtle enough for use with humbuckers (IMO of course).

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I've got Keeley's Compressor Pro. I like the ability to see when the compression kicks in and then to what degree.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Anyone out there have experience with both the Dyna Comp Deluxe and the Keeley four knob? Control-wise they seem identical. I have the DCD and love it, but can't help but wonder if the Keeley offers any improvement.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Not hugely experienced with compressors, but I use a Cali 76 CD and can get it to blend with the raw tone in a really subtle way, it doesn't seem to color the tone and I forget that it's on until I turn it off and notice it then. There's no discernable squish to my ear. It's kind of a "more" pedal when it's set that way for lack of a better word.

It can squish if you want to, too.

I really like it.