Your favorite band at their WORST.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    I wouldn't be playing guitar if it hadn't been for the Stray Cats, seeing them perform "Runaway boys" on a Chart show (A mimed performance but who cares?) when I was only six years old inspired me to start rocking.

So fast forward to 1992, I'm 16 and playing guitar in my first band, playing that same Rockabilly that Setzer inspired me to start playing and I get news that Veronica's Chart show "Countdown" (Not the Australian chart show with the same name) will feature the comeback of the Stray Cats.

So I'm excited, the host does an interview with Setzer and he's hyping the thing up "We're back and you're going to KNOW!" But for the life of me, I couldn't remember the performance or the song they did.

Until I found that particular performance again...

Brian Setzer said of that part of the history of the band and that album that they "Ran out of gas." and this song is a showcase of that, it simply doesn't SOUND like the Stray Cats, here was a band breathing out its last breath.

Also VERY telling that when the Stray Cats had their reunion tour in 2004, they completely omitted anything from that album.

NightOwl and drlucky like this.
  2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Alice Cooper in 1977, recorded just before his first trip in to rehab for alcohol abuse.

Sloppy, sad, tragic.

I'm so glad that he ultimately, later, succeeded in his journey, and performs at a high level to this day.

:(

[​IMG]

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Tele-Meister

The Stooges the Weirdness album. Choosing Steve Albini was a big mistake. Dude made it sound like a bad demo and did not produce at all. Granted the songs were not great, but that was just a terrible sounding album.

plusorminuszero likes this.
  4. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

Stones - Altamount

And I agree with the Alice Cooper post

5. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

Saw Pat Travers a few years back. He was severely hung over, had to stop the show twice. But he did soldier on like a pro.

6. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

Yep saw Cooper live in 77,wasn't the only one who walked out.

Lone_Poor_Boy likes this.
  7. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'll see your drunk Alice Cooper and raise you two drunk Bob Weir's.... I'm currently pissed at Bob for bringing politics to the Dead scene so enjoy.

8. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Zeppelin from 77-80 with a smacked-out Page. Every once in a while there would be a good night, but if you watch the Knebworth segment of the Led Zeppelin DVD and compare it to the raw footage that's on YouTube, you realize that engineer Kevin Shirley really earned his pay salvaging those songs.

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

ZZ Top Afterburner

If they’d re-master those songs without the synths and 80’s gated reverb drums, most of them would be good…but they haven’t, so…

I absolutely love ZZ Top. I understand why they did that album this way, but good Lord.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  10. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

CCR – Mardi Gras. After 4-5 great albums in three years, and a year after Tom Fogerty left, John Fogerty decided to not only let the other guys contribute creatively, but force them to. The result was a Creedence album with only two great Fogerty songs ("Sweet Hitch-hiker" and "Someday Never Comes") and a whole bunch of filler. The band broke up shortly afterwards.

Creedence_Clearwater_Revival_-_Mardi_Gras.jpg

11. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

The Rolling Stones Dirty Work

There are a few good songs on it (see attached) but on the whole it’s a low point for them. Can’t imagine how bad they would have sounded had they toured behind this one.

Deeve likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was gonna post a video clip, but they all just break my heart, and I can't watch them.....and that's the Genesis tour going on right now. The music itself is pretty solid, but seeing Phil Collins in his current condition almost brings me to tears. I've been lucky to see them three or four times, all post Gabriel but two before Steve Hackett left.....and they were wonderful performances. Let it go, guys. Please....just let it go. :(

13. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

GWAR's "dark years", 1996-2000. They should have realised after their plans for Skulhedface fell through, you can't say "yes" to every suggestion just to get to the finish line.

davemontalvo likes this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In the late '70's/early '80's
    The Allman Brothers released two 'beyond terrible' pop LP's,
    trying to become more marketable ( Arista records obligations, I think...)

Reach For the Sky
    Brothers of The Road

As an ABB nut, I bought both
    ( Columbia House Record Club!), and I swear, they were SO BAD, I never got past listening to 2-3 songs on each before bailing, never to play again

AZMike and VWAmTele like this.
  15. davemontalvo

davemontalvo TDPRI Member

Man I haven’t thought of GWAR in years. Had to go put on Horror of Yig after seeing this.

16. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Friend of Leo's

Husker Du playing what turned out to be they're third-to-last show before breaking up. After about 45 minutes of starts and stops, they suddenly left the stage and ran out the back door.

[​IMG]

Skyhook, Chuckster and Si G X like this.
  17. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I don’t know if I’d call World Party my favorite band, but I sure do love their records. Nobody was more surprised than me that I walked out of their show for being so incredibly boring and dull. Cement envies Karl Wallinger’s ability to remain motionless. And grey.

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I saw SRV in the late 80s before he got clean. He played like a monster, but was rambling and incoherent in between, and there was a few minutes when he tried to play two guitars at a time but he couldn’t manage to put the second one on, and after an uncomfortable period of fumbling with it he just gave up. Sloppy…

19. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Actually, my nomination is Love You, Live, disc 2
    Truly some unfortunate work there.

Carry on
    :confused:

20. arlum

arlum Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Alice Cooper's "Muscle of Love" album. After a long string of ultra killer albums this one was like a very poor ho-hum. One decent song and then a snooze fest. It was also the last album made with the original band.

Sparky2 and tanplastic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.