Your favorite analog delay…

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have only ever had one analog delay—MXR Carbon Copy—but I liked it fine. I chose it because it also has modulation. You gotta open it up to adjust it, but I really liked having that little bit of swirl in there with longer repeats.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to have a DOD EchoFx that I really liked. Unfortunately, it stopped working a few years ago so it's just sitting in a box somewhere now.

While I'm open to a 'true' analog replacement, I've been pretty happy with the delay section of the Keeley Caverns (based on the same circuit as their Magnetic Echo pedal) along with a Ammoon PockEcho for other stuff. I'm probably more likely to eventually get a better digital delay that has a really good tape echo emulation along with other, more out there, settings.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Malekko Ekko 616 sounds great, small, flexible, possibly no longer made. Ditto the DOD rubberneck, though it’s not small, it does do tricks. Carbon copy sounds pretty good and is still in circulation but I would look for a 616 if it was me.
The Ekko is fantastic. I sold one because I am known to be a moron and now I am looking for another.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
My plain ol’ MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay has pretty much earned a permanent seat on the Big Ol’ Board of Sonic Bliss…I’m not saying I would *never* replace it, but I certainly ain’t looking for it’s replacement.

SparkleFart

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
flipper.jpg

edit to add
Guyatone FLIP TD-X Echo. 12V power supply is inconvenient but I think it sounds great great great great.... :)

Last edited:

Rowdyman

Tele-Holic
Maguchi, I see you have an 'old-style' , "Holy Grail".

Does yours 'hiss' really bad?

I don't know if it always was like that and I just couldn't hear it, or it developed the hiss
over the years, but I had to stop using it because of the hiss.
Still 'sounds' good, but I can't tolerate the level of hiss.

Thanks, RM

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I would also say the Ibañez AD-9 Analog Delay is the one I like most. I try and run it in the effects loop after the preamp section of the amp sometimes. And instead of pedals for dirt and drive I'll use the amps overdrive. The delays seem a little clearer and less muddy that way. I've heard the term "chewy" on this and other forums before, but don't know what that is and how it applies to guitar sound. So I'll use the term deep and spacious for the AD-9 in the effects loop with amp OD. I'll also use the T-Rex Replicator Tape Echo sometimes even at gigs and on my pedalboard. View attachment 965698 View attachment 965699 View attachment 965700
That T-Rex contraption is unbelievably cool.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Maguchi, I see you have an 'old-style' , "Holy Grail".

Does yours 'hiss' really bad?

I don't know if it always was like that and I just couldn't hear it, or it developed the hiss
over the years, but I had to stop using it because of the hiss.
Still 'sounds' good, but I can't tolerate the level of hiss.

Thanks, RM
It hisses a little but I turn the guitar volume down between songs so you can't hear it. Once I turn back up and start playing you can't hear the hiss no more.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Electro Harmonix Memory Toy is the only I’ve ever had. It does everything I need it to do, including getting into the way weird zone occasionally.
I was going to suggest this too if the OP wants to try a slightly different flavour. Brighter repeats than some other analog delays. It’s almost two pedals in one with the modulation switch. Opening it up to twiddle the modulation depth is an easy adjustment if the modulation is too swooshy.

DannyBigShots

TDPRI Member
Carbon Copy is a mainstay for me. I pretty much always have it on my board for its utility and ease of use. I'll usually also have some sort of tape emulation, but the CC is so simple and useful, I can dial it in and keep it set for slap-back or easily twist a few knobs for that longer, modulated sound that's really fun too. Not entirely sure what your definition of 'chewy" is, but the CC popped to mind for me when I read that.