Your favorite analog delay…

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
DM2W-large.jpg.auto.jpg

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Malekko Ekko 616 sounds great, small, flexible, possibly no longer made. Ditto the DOD rubberneck, though it’s not small, it does do tricks. Carbon copy sounds pretty good and is still in circulation but I would look for a 616 if it was me.

I liked the sound of the repeats of the 616 I had, but after a while I became unhappy with what it did to the dry part of the guitar sound. I won't use one again.

I haven't noticed anything I don't like about the rubberneck. Everything sounds really good, and it'd be a good one even if it didn't have all the tricks.

I spend most of my delayed time with a belle epoch, though.

generic202

Tele-Meister
I built a Madbean Aquaboy, a Boss DM-2/Aquapuss style circuit, it sounds great though I don't know how hard it is right now to get MN3005 type chips
It's actually quite easy now. Xvive produced MN3005s a few years ago and there are plenty for DIYers. They are also cheaper than the original Mitsubishi/Panasonic ones which are harder to find.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I guess Delay is the only effect I don't have a true analog version of. I've got a couple that allow for an analog signal to pass through but no true analog. DSPs and the like have taken over my choices in Delay pedals. Sometimes I like long delays in excess of 600 ms. I also like to save settings to a bank when possible. I still love the sound of a good analog delay but it limits me to a point that I'd have to add a second non-analog delay to the pedal board to cover all the bases. Both my Korg SDD-3000 and Eventide Timefactor provide excellent emulations of analog delay types so they are what I use on my two main pedalboards. My remaining stand alone delay pedays are for either echo or drum type delays. El Capistan, Boonar, etc.

If I ever decided I really, really needed a true analog delay again I'd select from those I've had success with in the past. Vintage models from Maxon, Ibanez or Boss. Maybe to rerecord something I wrote and recorded a long time ago to give it authenticity.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
I’m partial to my Ibanez AD-9, and it’s getting a little ancient. I don’t run many effects, typically just overdrive, sometimes a fuzz. The AD-9 is used to ‘cloud’ up the sound a little bit and it goes straight into the front of the amp with the OD, which is either a Tube Screamer or a DOD 250. The pedals all fit on a cutting board that I’ve covered with Velcro and fitted beneath with two wedge blocks. Simples.

Which analog delay do you like? Recommend me a chewy one! I feel some retail therapy coming with my tax return.
MXR Carbon Copy. Not that I have tried many but I really like this one; easy to use too.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I've had the same Analogman ARDX20 delay for ten years, and it's my favorite pedal. You can do a lot with its expression pedal jack, extra digital controller, effects loop (to effect the delays only), but I just use it as two delays in one box. I set them to a short bounce and a longer wash. It sounds really good.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Why replace the AD9? It’s awesome. Maybe consider the Keeley version, but the stock version is great IMO.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
It's actually quite easy now. Xvive produced MN3005s a few years ago and there are plenty for DIYers. They are also cheaper than the original Mitsubishi/Panasonic ones which are harder to find.
I bought CoolAudio MN3005's from Small Bear that I used in the Aquaboy. I see Amplified Parts has the Xvive chips at 23 bucks a pop, I've wanted to build Madbean's Deluxe Memory Man (Total Recall) but ouch, it needs two BBDs!

I'm making a 1590A Deep Blue Delay clone now with a PT2399 which are a couple bucks each. It's digital but the other PT2399 delays I've made sound pretty close to a BBD delay, the 1776 Effects Multiplex Delay is great with Echoplex, Space Echo and Binson emulation.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
The Ibanez Echo Shifter has a really nice sound. I own the older unit, haven't tried the newer version.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It's a tie between these 2. The Binary Star is maybe a little more practical for basic slap back but the T-120 VHS tape echo really does it for me most of the time.
1648343932701.jpeg

1648343966859.jpeg