Your Favorite Amp

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I had a '79 JMP that was pretty amazing and I should've kept, but that was nearly 15 years ago.

So I'll go with my latest, the Mesa TA-15. Sounded awesome tonight at my band's first gig, got some compliments on the tone after the show.
5109F377-585B-4BF1-BB68-EE72F93AB7C6.jpg

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
I've had a few amps over the past 55 years ;)

My all time fave is one of the 8 I currently own - it's my 74 non-master SFSR that has some blackface tweaks. Actually I like it better than a BFSR I used to own. Nothing beats a good SR to my ear. Especially love the sound of Jazzmasters through this amp!

I guess I have a second favorite of sorts too......which is basically the opposite of the SFSR - my 57 Custom Champ. Such a fun and engaging little amp! I tend to like vintage voiced Strats best with this amp.

AxemanVR

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
...a 2019 57' Custom Deluxe... I have come to truly love the purity, the rawness and unadulterated tone of the 57... Fender has done a good job with this amp, and the Eminence Special Design speaker is a bull's eye.

I too have a 2019 Fender ‘57 Custom Deluxe and I agree; the tone is something very special and the Eminence alnico speaker is a perfect match for it.

Besides occasionally adding some reverb and compression, I rarely use other effects. As you said, there’s a purity about it that is irresistible - something that gives me a thrill every time I play it...

2C31C1C1-F171-4961-9311-27BDE580CFAD.jpeg

Last edited:

AxemanVR

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
...I'll go with my latest, the Mesa TA-15. Sounded awesome tonight at my band's first gig, got some compliments on the tone after the show.

I have both a TA-15 and TA-30 and each are excellent in their own ways (their power structures are different enough to make them each somewhat unique).

Anyway, I’m not surprised that your experience has been positive so far.

Although the Fender ‘57 Custom Deluxe is still my all time favorite (as mentioned in a previous post) it’s also hard to beat the versatility Mesa Boogies offer and I’m definitely glad to have these two awesome amps at my disposal none the less...

340AE2AC-85BF-4C4A-A017-887D2B12F62B.jpeg

Last edited:

Ed Storer

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Hands down, the '69 Super Reverb that I sold because we were moving to smaller quarters and I was getting too old and feeble to load it into the car.

Super Reverb has been my favorite amp since the 60's. I grew up with Fender Sound and nothing (IMO) did it better than the Super Reverb.

Mine came with the original (and best) CTS alnico speakers. Plug in an ES 335, strum a G chord and the hair on the back of your neck will stand up. I never heard another amp that made me feel that way.

It's shameful - yet a blessing for some - that good examples of '60's Super Reverbs are still out there an such low prices. Keep your Marshall, Soldano, and Mesa amps; give me a SR and a place where I can play it -please.

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Definitely my new Mesa Boogie 5:25 10”. What an amazing little machine. Whether quiet as a mouse or shaking the shingles, this little guy can give me any tone I desire. Before getting the Mesa, my favourite was my Princeton Reverb with a 12” Eminence Li’l Texas. Only 30 pounds and full of Fender mojo.
5A22DEEE-E1C0-4FD0-8745-D7F997311130.jpeg

The cab underneath the MB is loaded with a 10” Ragin’ Cajun.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Has to be my Wem Westminster Mk9 I've had since buying it new in Scarths, Charing Cross Rd in around 1973. Here's the details

http://wem-owners.com/combos/clubman-various/clubman-and-westminster/

It's done 1000s of hours on 3 sets of valves and a recent overhaul and I hope it'll see me out. Over the years, my ears have got so attuned to a Fender single coil through its clean sparkle that anything else sounds weird. Though I'm enjoying the Champ I got a year ago, the little Wem is "my sound".

Definitely an honourable mention for my little 70 watt PJB Double 4 bass amp. I have no idea how it does what it does but it makes my PBass sound enormous at the volumes I need these days. (In the pic, the Trace Elliott just acts as a stand for the PJB - and I put the drum machine through it so the neighbours can hear nicely.)

20201127_095435.jpg

Last edited:

Direwolf

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I built a 5E3 clone in an old Peavey combo cabinet over a decade ago and it's the best amp I've ever owned. Sweetest cleans and growling overdrive to die for. I've built a lot of amps but this one is special.

roadjunkie59

TDPRI Member
Gold Supporter
My favorite? That's a bit a story but I'll try to keep it short. I have had better amps. Tophat ambassador, Club Deluxe, Club Royale and other Tophats. My Cris Stapleton I would say pry it cold dead hands. I'm still learning my Allen Brown Jug. It's short for a Brown Vibrolux shoved the backside of an Allen Chihuahua. One of a kind.

My favorite is my Allen 3x10 because it keeps getting blowed the hell up and I have get it fixed. Twice it blew at a Roundup at the Gretsch Pages. A buddy was playing Cortez the Killer I don't know what song they were playing the second time it blew probably a funeral dirge anyhow the 3rd time it went to David Allen he fixed up and it held up so far. It's single ended 6l6 with 5y3 putting out roughly 10 watts in a accomplice chassis in a Old Flame cab 3x10. If it blows we will rebuild her!
20200814_150700.jpg

loudboy

Tele-Holic
My first really nice amp was a '73 Marshall JMP 50W Model 1987 head, into a late '60s 4x12 Model 1982A cab. Like a fool, I sold it in the early '80s, when everyone was going to smaller combos. Insanely loud, and I can still feel and hear the tone that poured out of that thing.

My other fave is the '78 SFPR w/a 10" EV Force speaker that I gig with now - everything you'd want in a Fender.