your experience with reactive load+IRs?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by braveheart, Jul 2, 2020.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

I wanna play/record my tube amps late at night without waking up the neighbours...
    (a Palmer 2x8 loadbox is on the way)

your experience with:
    - headphones
    - studio monitors/pa

does it sound "organic"?

2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Not an expert - I just started this myself, and I don't do any recording or critical listening.

I have a Torpedo CAB M and it sounds really good to me, not synthetic or digital-seeming. I use cheap Sennheiser headphones and also output to one of my tube amps set flat and clean. My output is from a pedalboard/preamp rather than from an amp, but I intend to try that next.

Since you already have your load situated, I think you could output from there into any number of Cab & Mic IR devices, or even into software.

The Two Notes gear seems to get good marks from people who know, but I think there are a lot of options. My impression is that the more expensive solutions provide the greater processing power needed to run "longer" IR's that include room mic'ing and reflection.

I really like being able to try different cab, speaker and mic combinations in this "sandbox".

braveheart likes this.
  3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

Really??? Hey tuuuuuube-guys! Still anybody out there???!!

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use a Two Notes Captor X (load box and IR loader) and so far, only with Two Notes IRs.
    I also still mic my amps.
    The IR thing is pretty cool I gotta say. The sheer amount of cabs available is overwhelming. Finding a good sound is pretty easy. The hard part is finding and (committing) the right good sound.

The Fender and Marshall options seem to be the most usable for me and I also like the Mesa Boogie open back 1x12" options.

Overall, I would say that there's a 'difference' between an IR and a mic'd amp but they both feel good to play. That's organic enough for me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    braveheart likes this.
  5. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Not a fan of impulse responses. They take away way too much of the speaker dynamics. If you are playing metal maybe that is fine, but it doesn't sound good to me compared to real speakers for other styles involving lower gain amps. And the mids seem to suffer alot. Organic? Not to me ears. Convenient? Sure.

Even heavily attenuating a speaker doesn't sound very good to me.

braveheart likes this.
  6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Meister

For your purposes it should work just fine. To me, headphones usually is more what the headphones are plugged into. You could have a great setup with a horrible headohone amp and it will sound horrible.

braveheart and klasaine like this.
  7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good headphones are well worth the investment.
    Sennheiser HD280 pro ($80 everyday)
    Audio Technica ATH M40 or M50 ($100 - $149). The attraction with the ATs is that they feature a detachable cable and come with a few varying lengths.

I'm 58 and have been recording since the late 70s. Personally, I think the whole "load box with IRs" is friggin amazing. Pairing the right cab with your head and how you process it/record it after that will have a huge impact on the end result. Same as if you were micing an amp and hitting tape. YMMV

braveheart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.