Your Dream Vacation Spot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Jul 14, 2021.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I really like where I live here in the bay area. there's lots of places that I really like around here. Marin country of the sea side Tamales bay , point Reyes, Mount Tamaulipas, Muir Woods, San Francisco, there's lot of cool places to go that I learned about as a bike messenger, places one doesn't get to see as a visitor, of coast theirs lots of neighborhoods that have not been desiccated by gentrification. Angel Island is a place that I'd like to go spend a few days and get to see the Island and view the bay area from the island. North Beach Italian neighborhood, China town, Art Institute.
    If I knew other places as well as my home area I'd enjoy going there and staying for a while, but I don't.
    I like that there is some to do and see so close to my home , accessible by public transportation lots of day trips,
    an area that I can afford with English as the common spoken language a place that I can afford to explore and experience on a budget, as I have my home base and lounging is not an expense.
    No air lines airports to deal with. I like knowing the customs of my home , it makes "vacationing" convenient.
    I'm a lazy vacationer. People come to the bay area , to San Francisco from global destinations to visit, tourism, is a big part of the cities economy. There are many things to do and see, there is are inexpensive architectural tours a friend took and she said that San Francisco had as many interesting things of interest as she saw in Europe, not as old but beautiful to see.

nvilletele, Robert H. and P Thought like this.
  2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Anything not involving a cruise liner.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

Amalfi Coast, in a villa with water access and boat, between towns.

Dan R likes this.
  4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've said on this forum before that I could fly into JFK, just to go to Coney Island for a hotdog, check out the sights for a bit, and then fly home. I could do the same for pizza, or a pastrami sandwich from somewhere like Katz.

Robert H. likes this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

I have some Icelandic family and have been a few times. Amazing place super friendly people that speak perfect English. Summer with the weather decent is poetry.

Dan R likes this.
  6. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've always enjoyed Paris. But I do prefer a nice cabin in the mountains best.

7. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

For a hot holiday next on my list is Vietnam or Indonesia.

For snowboarding either Interior British Columbia or the powder holy grail, Japan.

I was trying to get to 30 countries before I turn 30 but Covid has basically put a stop to that at 27 countries, and I turned 29 in April. :(

8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Like my sig says, anywhere the water is a cartoon shade of blue and the sand is sugar white.

9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I Still have fond memories of going on a family trip to Vegas with my parents and big sister when I was young Screenshot_20200513-080341_2 copy.png

NC E30, Hamstein, ieatlions and 2 others like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In BC I recommend Revelstoke. It has the biggest vertical (1700m) in North America.

You can find out why they call this run "brown shorts".

willholt92 likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

It's not an uncommon desire to visit where one's ancestors came from. I did that and now I know why they left!

Hamstein, P Thought and RobRiggs like this.
  12. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

I was in Japan in the 90s.

The thing about Japan is that there are almost NO minorities. I have gotten used to seeing a lot of different kinds of people in the U.S., but in Japan the minorities are Korean and Chinese ;-)

gimmeatele likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

Things are different, at least in the big cities like Tokyo. I was there in 2018. When I was looking lost on the Tokyo subways and staring at a map (which was often), it was often African passengers that came to my rescue.

After coming back I discovered this interesting YouTube channel.

doghouseman likes this.
  14. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

I had a lot of Japanese people rescue me on the Tokyo subway. This was before cell phones. They were very kind people to me.

15. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

When I was in the consumer electronics retail profession, our wireless rep was concerned about her parents, who were vacationing in Big Bend National Park. She had not heard from them, and she was worried. So I showed her a coverage map from her own wireless company. No coverage in Big Bend Park. She was relieve when I showed her that.

That might be a selling point for Big Bend Park! No cell service!

How do you pronounce that? In my last profession, we were working near there, and we wanted to know if it's "Shreever" or "Shry-ver."

I was going to say NYC and mention pizza, just to rile up people. My wife and I have been there 5 times and enjoyed it every time. We might try John's on Bleecker if we ever get back there. Hopefully, next year, on our 50th anniversary.

CajunJ likes this.
  16. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Shree-ver. Makes the Caribbean look like a cesspool.

17. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

HOLY S**T yeah that'll do it. Brown shorts indeed.

I've heard a lot about Revelstoke. I also would love to go to Baldface lodge it looks like paradise there.

18. NC E30

NC E30 Tele-Meister

Just got back from Iceland 2 weeks ago. One of the coolest, and most different places I have been. One of the highlights of course was the active volcano at Fagradalsfjall.

Food and fuel are extremely expensive there, but many of the cool things to see are free. We rented a camper van and cooked most of our meals (ie. ate like college students) which made it much more affordable.

Dan R likes this.
  19. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I was in Iceland 2 years ago. Beautiful country. Traveling eastward on the southern coastal highway, we had the Atlantic Ocean a few hundred yards to the right of us and 5,000 foot high volcanic mountains a few hundred yards to the left. They've also done a fantastic job of being 100% up to date technologically while preserving artifacts and sights that are up to 1000 years old.

Diesel for our rented VW Tiguan was right at $9.00 a gallon. Iceland was indeed expensive, but beautiful. We're looking forward to going back.

20. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Holic

The Seychelles,

Had a nice vacation on the islands right before going the Persian gulf, and making war…

love to go again. And more peaceful times one I left.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.