Your de-stink the AC system/a stanked-up van recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Oct 17, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hey, all. Hope this finds you well. Cold, clear, and windy here in Virginny. Scouring but nice.

So to update my vehicle dramas quickly: Finally put a new used transmission in the old Toyota van. Two weeks later, its brakes suddenly fail and I total it by rear-ending a car stopped at a red light. No one hurt but my budget, though insurance co. more than fair, given van's age.

Got a nice new used Honda van (a 2005 Odyssey) with one big problem: it stinks! My shop guy who checked its vitals before I bought it said the AC weep vent had been plugged up. He flushed it, but van itself stinky. It had sat in sun w/ the windows closed for a long time, etc.

Apart from airing it out as much as possible, trays of baking soda, etc., what products and/or procedures have you found particularly useful? I'm fairly chemical-sensitive, so least caustic-smelling + most-effective would be ideal.

Thanks!

2. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Change the cabin air filter

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Spray fabreeze or Ozium into the cabin fresh air intake with the fan on full blast and replace the cabin filter as stated above.

4. RoscoeElegante

I think my shop guy did that, but I'll definitely double check/do it myself if not. A good idea, I take it, to change it frequently while cleaning the system/working out the stink, yes? What, short of napalm, will help absorb-out the smell that the seats and carpeting have absorbed?

Thanks!

5. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

Coffee. Lots of ground coffee. Drop it all over all the carpeting, let it sit for a day, then vaccuum.

RoscoeElegante and 6stringcowboy like this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

A good auto detail shop can fix your problem ... They should have an ozone machine ...

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Total deep cleaning the entire interior. Carpet, upholstery, headliner, and all hard surfaces.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  8. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Yep, this is a job for an ozone machine

9. RoscoeElegante

I'm guessing that my habit of spilling liquid coffee on everything, everywhere, when I drive won't do it....though I am resurrecting the mobile tannin industry.

When my commie kids see me loading up when I'm wearing one of my 1 & 1/2 good shirts, they'll say, "Dad, change your shirt first so you're not asking us 'Doesn't this look like Castro upside down?' for the next ten years."

Thanks, everyone. I'll try the homebrew methods first, but readily surrender to professional detailer's ozone machine zap if that doesn't work. I've got a nice mold allergy that I don't want to lose to, you know, death.

Moriarty and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Ozone generator, that's what the pros use to de stinkify vehicles of mold, smoking, death etc.

getbent and RoscoeElegante like this.
  11. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What the others have said... Ozone.

getbent and RoscoeElegante like this.
  12. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    This stuff works great if the source of your odors are in the ac/ heater evaporator or ductwork. German made product has a long wand that injects mold and odor killing foam into the central system all the way to the air duct outlets. I've been able to get two to three applications out of a can. Vehicle dependent.

Nextzett Klima-Cleaner Professional

13. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    The stuff does have a "clean" smelling odor that will last for a few days but does fade pretty quickly. I happen to like the smell...

14. RoscoeElegante

This looks helpful, too, and uses a product similar to what Intubator recommended:

When you buy a Telecaster, it ought to come with a little tag saying, "And lots of people who like Teles are very effective and helpful problem-solvers (whatever their charmingly self-inflicted problems may be)."

Thanks all! I'll do the filter change, vent cleaning, and evaporator foaming myself, and then find an ozone zapping detailer around here.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Watch a video on how to change the cabin filter, if it's anything like my CRv you can change it in a couple of minutes start to finish. They charge 35 dollars plus the price of the filter to change it at the dealership here in town. The car will never stop stinking until that dirty filter comes out.

Intubator and RoscoeElegante like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Change the cabin air filter.
    Rent an Ozone Generator and leave it on in the van for days. Maybe idle the engine for a few hours with the AC/Heat system on "recirculate" to get the ozone everywhere.
    There may be stuff in the AC system or vents though. What kind of stink is it? Mildew? DO you know where the AC air intake is? COuld you spray Bleach /water into the intake?

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When those drain vents get clogged, fluid dwells in the carpet and padding - and that could be beyond salvage. Pull the carpet out where the water would've accumulated, clean in thoroughly and replace the padding. If mold is a bad thing for you, this is probably going to be where you end up - so IMO you need to just do it.

Now, Virginia is going to see at least some days in the next four-five months where the relative humidity is as low as it gets there. Put the battery on a slow charger, and throw the doors/hatch wide open and let fresh air exchange do most of the rest. I don't know what kind of upholstery you have so I'll hold off on that subject.

If you're chemically sensitive, skip the Febreze.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Toto'sDad, getbent and RoscoeElegante like this.
  18. RoscoeElegante

Thanks again, all.

I don't see or smell any particularly wet areas--e.g., no drips under dash from AC system, no puddles in low spots, etc. The smell is a general car-halitosis one. But I'll have time this week to raccoon around and see what I can feel. The van came with lots of high-quality rubber matting, and with two boys and a perpetually muddy dog, I'm fine tearing out all the carpet if I need to, though I'd like to leave the header intact, as there's a lot of AC ducting up there, too.

As noted, I'll it out bigtime, change the cabin filter, clean the vent, and zap-foam the evaporator.

In terms of an ozone machine, since having one in our house would be handy (damp basement, cats formerly lived here), would this be an apt machine for the van problem and the basement? Or would it be too puny to do the job? Gets rave reviews....
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388/?tag=tdpri-20

19. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Had an electrical fire in an older car once... the whole interior stunk of smoke really badly. I sprayed Febreze around, and then it stunk of smoke and Febreze. I wouldn't recommend Fabreze, unless you happen to like really perfumey chemical smells.

I got two bags of activated charcoal from Home Depot, put one in the front in one in the back. Two weeks later both horrible smells were gone completely.

20. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.