Your current tele pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by yazam2014, Feb 2, 2017.

1. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

James said I had an Arcane pickup in my Trussart Steelcaster. I guess he should know. Also recommend Klein Broadcaster.

2. CK5150

CK5150 Tele-Meister

Lollar Vintage T's in my Baja and Special T's in my CV50

Royal Tele likes this.
  3. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

For a bridge pickup, I like the Seymour Duncan vintage stack. For a neck pickup, I like a Gibson mini-humbucker. 500K audio taper pots as well. This configuration is totally humbucking, and will cover country and rock sounds.

4. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Rumpel 1950 Broadcaster set. BEEFY!

5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried many pickups over the past 30 years. There are so many tele pickups I love and would not hesitate (depending on your tone preference) to recommend. There are still so many more I want to try and reading this thread only increases that desire!

However, you asked about current pickups, so that's what I'll (for once!) stick to.

In the neck slot of my USACG chambered mahogany tele is a Lollar Low Wind Imperial Humbucker. Simply perfect for this guitar. I could go on an on about how dynamic the Imperial is and/or wax on about how it's filled to the brim with scrumptious tone...but I won't.

In the bridge slot, I have a custom wound beauty from Harrison Wirtz. He used Alnico 8 mags and wound it to around 12.5K. For me, it's the ultimate tele bridge pickup. I wanted something very different, very beefy and very non traditional. I use a (now discontinued) tonestyler deal (notched with various caps) in place of the tone control and it's a match made in heaven with the bridge pickup. I hope to post some tone clips someday soon to show off the wide variety of stellar tones.

Using the two pickups together opens a whole new avenue of tonal bliss. the Imperial is wired for series/parallel, so with the tonestyler and guitars volume knob, I find myself getting lost in the unique and glorious tones that live in the shadows.

6. UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken The Smooth and the Fast

Lindy Stock Tele at the neck and SDJD at the bridge.

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

#1 = Duncan Alnico II Pros
    #2 = Fender Original Vintage
    #3 = Jerry Donahue/neck - Seth Lover/bridge
    #4 = American Standard

8. blkpwdr

blkpwdr Tele-Meister

Twang Kings in neck and bridge,both in my CV 50's lots of twang with the maple neck and pine wood body.

Alaman likes this.
  9. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Really digging my Rumplestiltskin White Ropes right now. Really.

10. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Duncan Little 59 and Vintage Stack. Lots of personality with bridge and middle position. I think my Barden in the neck was more ballsy but they crapped out after about 15 years so I'm happy with this Duncan set.

11. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Stock 2011 American Standards and they sound great.

12. Jillo

Jillo TDPRI Member

Duncan Single Coil 1/4 pounder and a lil '59 humbucker. ahhhhhhhhhhhh. :p:p

Sjnoring likes this.
  13. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

I tried everything in the world-a thousand different tele pickups. Cavilers by Rob are the best- Nashville lion & lion king neck!! The best!! Hes quick- hes reasonable- simply awesome!!

BB and El Tele Lobo like this.
  14. ccotton

ccotton Tele-Meister

in which tele??

91 American St: B- SD Quarter Pound N- Stock
    08 Highway One: B- Klien Fatman N- Fender 50's
    2013 AM ST: B - Bare Knuckle Piledriver N- Twisted tele
    2013 MIM HH B and N: Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat
    2016 Aluminum Tele: B and N- Lollar overwound 50's

15. Rich B in Tempe

Another hard-core vote for Rob DeStefano @ Cavalier. He directed me to a FAT LION BRIDGE: friggin brilliant!! Then he told me about the Nashville (bridge), not quite as much fat as the FL- and ooohh, buttery twang!! Necks has been the Lion King. Supper happy-feel compelled to shout if off the roof-tops-CAVALIER-and just 3 days from discussion to delivery- Rob DeFestano!!!! The BEST!!

BB likes this.
  16. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

I have the Fender '62 custom Tele pickups in my MIM 60's Classic.

They sound great, but seem to be wired out of phase, so in the middle position my volume drops a little and it sounds like a "cocked" wah pedal. It's kind of a cool sound, so I'm debating whether to "fix" it.

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Lollar 50s wind P90 in the neck, SD JD in the bridge. Very pleased. Next tele will have a PAF-ish humbucker in the neck and something a bit hotter in the bridge.

18. Rich B in Tempe

IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4674.JPG Ive been a bass player profesionaly: but ive ALWAYS played the heck out of guitar. Twas always hard to find "my sound" till i discovered Cavalier lions. One tele has a FAT LION BRIDGE & LION KING NECK, other tele which i adore has Cavalier Phoenix firebird in neck & the Hydra 3 tap wind in the bridge, gives me HUGE LION-FAT LION-TWANGIE NASHVILLE IN BRIDGE!! Jusy HUGE TONES OUTA BOTH!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Neck: Lollar Regal Widen Range Humbucker. Clearer than a P.A.F. style HB. Some people say it's halfway between a PAF and a P90. I cannot tell for sure but it's excellent.

Bridge: Fender Custom Shop Broadcaster single coil. Clear and bright like any single coil, but beefer than a usual Tele bridge pup. I play rock and it does the job very well. Never attempted to get some Twang out of it; it's supposed to sound like the 1950 pups, when the Tele was called The Broadcaster. I've managed so far to control the treble with the amp's eq. I might want to get heavier sounds from the bridge position, but I don't want to yank this pup out. Most likely I'll get another guitar with P90's or Humbuckers. This pickup pairs very well with the WRHB, and I don't hear any volume drop with distortion.

20. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

O.C. Duff guardsman...GREAT pups

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.