Your Cool Wiring Ideas

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by loopfinding, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

On my 5622T 3-pickup I'm replacing the center HiLo with a P-90. It's currently set up so that either the mid pickup is on or off with one of the other two but I'll be redoing that to allow me to run it alone or with any of the other two. The volume control for it will be getting a "dry switch" which cuts the bass out a bit to keep it chimey when I want to so it won't contrast with the HiLo's staying in too much (that's the hope at least), the master tone will have a push-pull with two different cap values.

You mentioned a piezo, I actually put an LR Baggs Powerbridge on my 5120 that I can blend with the mags on an external preamp or isolate either one. It didn't make it sound like as much of an acoustic as I thought but it did add a lot of fatness and punch to the TVJ Classic+/Supertron that went in at the same time.

On my Cab Tele I added an S-1 switch with a separate tone stack for each of the TVJ Classics that are in there. It pads the highs a bit for when I want a fatter sound.

Yeah, I'm a fan of unique wiring schemes myself...

2. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

I tweaked this from a Craig Anderton circuit:

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 08.15.42.png
    8 great sounds
    The Rothstein mid control is also a push-pull switch.
    + = parallel
    / = series

erobillard likes this.
  3. atomgram

atomgram TDPRI Member

I have a 96 B-Bender. I had set it up with Strat wiring with a middle pickup. When I worked in Erlewine's shop, Elliot and I put in a SuperSwitch with a push/pull tone pot. With the pot down is a strat setup. In the up position it is B,BM,BM, BMN,BN. I have the best of both world. I wish we had wired it so the the Strat set up was in the up position. We overwound the bridge pickup to 8.3ohm. This is a very versatile guitar now. I have used it for everything from country stuff to a Pretenders cover band. I don't care much for the maple neck, but I could fix that pretty fast if it bothered that much.

4. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Put my Road Worn's middle position in series, no 4-way switch, pull pot or mini switch. Fine for me because my other Tele has the 4-way and I never use the normal middle tone. You need to take the cover off the neck pickup which is fine, I've always hated them. Or do the third ground wire trick.
    1.clean everything off the switch.
    2.hook the neck pickup(+) to the input of the volume pot
    3. hook the neck(-) and bridge (+) to the master lug of one side of the switch.
    4.leave the #2 lug empty, #1 lug to (+) and #3 to ground.
    You've essentially turned your pickups into a tapped humbucker.

5. civanodude

civanodude TDPRI Member

Wiring:

Although it looks complicated the wiring is essentially the same as a G&L legacy (PTB & Neck/Bridge switch). The addition is the Humbucker toggle and autosplit wiring. The autosplit allows the guitar to get the usual position 2 sound when playing without having to do anything when HB is in series mode.

5-way switch: Half of switch used for the standard 5 Strat options.
    Half of the switch is used to autosplit the Bridge Humbucker when it is in Series mode.

PTB Tone Circuit: Master volume. Master Passive Treble & Bass cut circuit like in G&L Legacy.
    Treble Cut. Standard treble cut as usual Tone control .022 capacitor
    Bass Cut. Passive bass cut. 002 capacitor.

Push-Push Switch Off: No change to circuit.
    On: Neck and Bridge Pickups linked both on when either is on.

On-On-On Toggle: Controls the configuration of the Bridge Humbucker.
    Series: HB in series mode. Connection to 5-way will autosplit in positions 2-5
    With Neck & Bridge switch engaged the Bridge is full HB + Neck in position 1 &
    Split HB + Neck in position 5.
    Split: HB is Split in all positions.
    Parallel: HB is parallel in all positions.
    TJC RC strat wiring.JPG

6. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

OK here are my wiring secrets:

(1) To give a humbucker some extra single-coil cut, put a treble bleed circuit (I use just a .002 mfd capacitor) between the coil tap and the guitar's output. It lets through the treble of one of the coils "before" the other coil can cancel it out.

(2) Wire a treble bleed to the 3rd leg of the tone pot, the one that's usually not used. This gives you treble bleed, but you can dial it out by reducing tone to about 8.5.

(3) To get all seven Strat pickup combinations without drilling holes, just wire one of the tone controls to blend in the neck (or bridge) pickup to output, and the other tone control as master tone.

My single-humbucker superstrat has both (1) and (2) and my single coil Tele/LP Special hybrid has (2). My Squier Strat has (3). They're all very practical!

civanodude likes this.
  7. avagadro

avagadro Tele-Meister

I have used the Bill Lawrence 5 way on one and a variation on another. 1N, 2N+B in parallel, 3B , 4N+B out of phase or half out of phase, 5 N with 10% bass roll off. I believe the variation is 1N, 2N+B in parallel, 3B, 4 N+B in Series half out of phase, 5 N+B in Series. One that looks good is the "Peter Rabbit", uses a 5 way switch connected to 5 different capacitor values with the tone control replaced by a blender. Looks like it may be a bit like a VariTone.

Dan German likes this.
  8. patrickhowell

patrickhowell Tele-Meister

I have used a series-parallel blend on a humbucker in several builds. When the blend pot is at the center detent, you only hear only one coil. As you turn the knob clockwise, it blends in the second coil in series. Counter-clockwise blends in the second coil in parallel.

9. Crusher2202

Crusher2202 TDPRI Member

Does anyone have a schematic for three pickups, Nashville Tele style with a five way switch. Wired with neck and middle on one vol. Master tone and bridge Vol. With a push pull on the bridge vol to turn it on for NB or all three. And a push/pull on tone to put bridge in series? I had a Tele wired that way and loved it. Sadly it was stolen. Thanks

10. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Another vote for the Bill Lawrence 5 way. I got to thinking that I should have gotten something more interesting than the regular tele 3 way switch when I bought the guitar, so I figured “they’re Bill’s pickups, I’m gonna try Bill’s wiring.” Best choice ever.

11. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

It sort of IS half out of phase:

The lower frequencies are not phase-canceled because the capacitor filters them from one pickup’s output, while the higher frequencies are still phase-canceled because both pickups are contributing.

So it’s not half in phase because there’s no phase relationship at all in the lower frequencies, but it IS half out of phase because the higher frequencies are.

There's a mis-perception that "half out of phase" refers to a capacitor's phase-shifting of the waveform itself, so that the shift is closer to 90º than 180º between the two pickups, but this really isn't the major source of the effect. It's the frequency filtering.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like designing and wiring, but my guitars usually have just the bare minimum settings, and I don't use most of those. Give me a two-pickup guitar with a middle (parallel) position, and I'm good.

Here's one I found ... somewhere, but I haven't tried it yet.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 04.07.11 AM.png

And this here is my own creation, which I do have wired into one of my Teles. I think it's similar to what PRS does to split a humbucker without losing much volume.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 04.07.58 AM.png

Attached Files:

13. moosie

I wouldn't say mis-perception. It's just another way to describe the same thing. Frequencies are only partially cancelled because of the shift.

14. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

I'll leave aside whether it's a mis-perception or not that the phase-shifting that the capacitor does is of significant enough magnitude to be audible.

Because, there are two different things happening and we're not talking about the same thing two different ways. We're talking about two different things.

The capacitor is a signal filter, it's doing the same thing the capacitor in the bass part of a PTB tone control does. The lower frequencies can't phase-cancel because they're filtered out from one of the pickups output.

Either way, "half out of phase" is a perfectly accurate name. Half the signal is out of phase, and the other half may be out of phase at something greater than 90º and less than 180º.

Maybe "a quarter" out of phase is more like it? :cool: Half out of phase in two different ways.

15. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Coindidentally, that's what the capacitor in your PRS semi-split diagram above is doing too. It's letting the highs from one coil through but not its lows.

Interesting that they don't call it a "semi-split, semi-phase" setting. I think it's because the phase change which the capacitor imparts just doesn't do very much that you can hear. The highs from the two coils are reinforcing each other.

Look at it this way - the reason nobody ever does any out-of-phase modding on the two coils of a humbucker is that it would cancel way way too much - way more than the cancellation that happens between two pickups separated by inches. I'm sure someone has tried it and found that it's just beyond useless. Lots of people already feel that way about two-pickup phase mods anyway, imagine if the effect were magnified by removing nearly all of the string-vibration signals that are left when there's physical separation between the sensors. Given all of this, if phase-cancellation were a significant result of the presence of that capacitor, you'd hear it with that semi-split mod.

I modeled this in Spice a while back and, according to that, in a guitar circuit, the phase is never shifted by the full 90º that bare theory or a capacitor in isolation yields. At some frequencies the shift approaches 60º but those happen to be the same frequencies that are filtered from the one sensor's signal. The capacitor just eats them gone.

I give you credit, Moosie, there was some post of yours from way back, which is what introduced me to the concept that the capacitor changes the phase. I shouldn't have said "misperception" because it is a real effect. I just don't think it's audible as, hundreds of times less audible than, the effect of the high-pass filtering which prevents low frequencies from getting canceled at all because you're only hearing them from one pickup (or coil).

Thanks for the discussion :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  16. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

I have six electric guitars. All have a series cap+resistor treble bypass circuit in the volume control. All but one has my "smoke" switch, which is a 3-position mini-toggle (ON-OFF-ON). The middle position is naked, no effect. In the other two positions I have either a 1nF cap or a 2.2nf cap put across hot and ground after the pickup selector switch, but before the master volume control. The small cap shifts the resonant peak to a lower frequency. The larger the cap, the lower the frequency. At the values I choose, it gives the sound a smokey, jazzier timbre that I far prefer to turning down a standard tone control. You get a warmer, darker sound without losing pick attack.

On my two-pickup, humbucker equipped guitars, I converted each to a single master volume control and added an addition switch (on-off SPDT mini) that allows me to blend in SOME of the non-selected pickup. IOW, when I have the pickup selector in the neck-only position, I can hit that switch and get some of the bridge pickup, but not as much as the middle position of the switch, so it is still predominantly neck. If I move the pickup selector to the bridge pickup, the neck pickup is mixed in at the same ration. Use a resistor somewhere from 47k to 68k ohms (I settled on 56k) to bring in the blended pickup. I have a jazz box that I plan on using a 100k linear pot in place of the mini-toggle when I get around to that guitar.

This mod allows me to have a mixed setting between the two pickups that does not change with changes to the volume control, something that has always bugged me about standard LP wiring. The downside is that I only have three mixed settings: mostly neck, some bridge,..mostly bridge, some neck, and both equal. However, I find it VERY liberating to have those tones with the ability to adjust just one volume control. I do not long for finer adjustment.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  17. moosie

Agree to disagree, then.

The filtering you describe is precisely the result of phase shift.

beanluc likes this.
  18. Kevindirks

Kevindirks TDPRI Member

Looking for some help finding a wiring diagram on an alternate 4 way switch wiring for a HS Tele that I am having difficulty finding (maybe not even possible?). I am putting in a Seymour Duncan Little 59 in the Bridge and want the option of series/parallel

What I want…
    Position 1: Bridge HB Series
    Position 2: Bridge HB Parallel
    Position 3: Bridge HB in series/Neck Single (Stock PUP) (the usual parallel setup here)
    Position 4: Neck Single (Stock PUP)

My Tele (2021 Squier Affinity Tele) is pretty thin and might even have trouble using the new lower profile CTS Pots with the circuit board…so I thought I might try to find out if the above is possible.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  19. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I guess this idea of mine for a reworked four-way selector switch is a bit out of the ordinary. Also, the adapted tone control becomes a no load that at the extremity places a treble bleed on the volume control.

1 - neck pickup
    2 - both pickups parallel
    3 - both pickups parallel, with the neck pickup having the bass filtered out, and the bridge pickup having the treble bled off.
    4 - bridge pickup

There is a sort of half phase shift thing going on there too, but for a detailed explanation, look here.
    upload_2021-8-16_22-46-47.png upload_2021-8-16_22-47-25.png

20. Kevindirks

Kevindirks TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.