Your Cool Wiring Ideas

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by loopfinding, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

I like the Anderton 5way in a Tele. I use a tbx tone pot and a push pull volume pot for out of phase. I also added a dpdt mini toggle switch inbetween for a bypass. Sounds pretty sweet. Lots of options.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    dlaroe likes this.
  2. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

Oops

dlaroe likes this.
  3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

3 humbuckers with matching orientation, each has a 3 position switch for north/both/south and a 2 position on/off switch/button. That was you can combine any combination of north/south from any of the three pickups for noise canceling combos.

4. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Nothing too radical.....

- Control Plate: Custom 2 hole only

- Vol: 500k B (Linear Taper) pot

- Blend: 250k Blend with 470k resistor inline with bridge pup.
    IMG_20200914_190303.jpg

Digital Larry and loopfinding like this.
  5. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

I'm working on a one-setting Varitone tone switch. I'm winding my own test inductors - that's what distinguishes the true original Varitone sound from these not-Varitone, low-pass-only, select-a-tone circuits which only have a variety of capacitors and a chickenhead knob to switch between them.

I'm never going to need more than one, so, the idea is I'll put it on a push-pull to switch between the regular tone-circuit capacitor for normal sounds and the LCR network with the inductor, a capacitor and a resistor for a tone with a completely different profile than you can get at all with the capacitor-only standard tone circuits.

I'm aiming for something like the second or third setting on the original Varitone control: It notch-filters frequencies right where the icepicks are, and boosts (sort of) higher frequencies by creating a new, strong resonance peak up in the region of the sweet, ringing, airy highs.

Right now I'm using a 3-band EQ with a fully parametric mid to approximate the sound I'm after but it only has the one parametric band, so, it works for putting a deep notch in the right place but it doesn't replicate the naturally peaky resonant highs of the inductor circuit. The high-band boosts too broadly, more shelf than peak, and besides, it's a pedal. With some experimentation I'm zeroing in on a passive circuit that gives a way better result and is on board the guitar.

I'm not going to play B.B. King with it but I do love that sharply-scooped yet full-bodied and shiny-bright sound which Lucille gives. Naturally my Tele and pickups are TOTALLY different and will sound different but that's the best reference to give, for those wondering what Varitone really sounds like - contrasted against those capacitor-only "Varitones" or any standard tone circuit. It should really rip for dirty-boogie or anybilly work.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Digital Larry, loopfinding and dlaroe like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Want to install a wireless unit in your guitar? Use the truss rod as the antenna. I did this mod on a Tele years ago; there’s a small spring in the neck pocket that contacts the heel adjust screw; that’s what makes the connection for the antenna. Works great.

dlaroe and beanluc like this.
  7. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

On my MIM Nashville and Triple Tele, I've wired the B,N to Deaf Eddie's 5-tone Tele and used a mini toggle on the Nashville and a p/p pot on the Triple to employ the middle pu.
    The B,N OOP in series isn't everyone's cup of tea but I LOVE it!

Billy3 and beanluc like this.
  8. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

A few weeks ago I posted about this Classic Vibe 50's which I did a bunch of things to (I call it "Mission Control"), but, the best thing and the one that's more on the novel side is the bass cut control in the middle. If I had to put everything back stock and keep only one mod, that would be it.

[​IMG]

Other people have mentioned out-of-phase mods, I'm honestly surprised that nobody has mentioned half out of phase mods, which seem to be a uniquely Telecaster thing. So, another mod I did to this is that the push-pull switch on that bass-cut pot switches between OoP and HOoP. Half-out-of-phase is my preference for split-coils, full out-of-phase is my preference for humbuckers, and this guitar has a coil-splitting push-pull on the (normal treble) tone control control, so, I get my preferred phase options each way.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    erobillard and Billy3 like this.
  9. Big-ez

Big-ez TDPRI Member

I have a dual p90 tele. I installed a control plate with room for three pots, and in the third pot I put in an Electra distortion/fuzz. It’s push-pull and down is the off position. Works great and adds a ton of versatility. You do need room for a battery though.

10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I am all about substituting a rotary varitone switch for one of my tone pots. On my Tele I have a concentric volume and tone pot and the other hole has the varitone switch. Rothstein makes the best varitone that I have found and I have tried a few others. His provides the most variety and he uses quality parts.

11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

If you have room for three pickups and two switches, N &B on one switch; that switch & M on a second switch. Both 4-way switches, 13 combinations. Put M on a push pull OOP, 21 combinations.

12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

You ought to at least check out the AES-800 wiring I posted earlier in this thread. In one of the 5-way positions, it uses a coil of one of the HB poops as the Varitone inductor, which is interesting because it has string signal going through it as well which a real Varitone does not. On the AES I have occasionally thought about putting a rotary switch in place of the "coil cut" pot as I tend to play with the cut all the way down when I use this. So with a 5-way switch you could have 5 caps for different cut freqs and you could conceivably add series resistors on any of those to tame the cut depth as needed. This flies in the face of my increasing trend towards "simpler is better" so it may never happen. Be interested to hear how yours comes out!

beanluc likes this.
  13. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

14. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

I love oop. And I love messing around with caps and resistors in the wiring of oop also. I guess that means I love hoop too. I know it's not really hoop , but that's what almost everyone seems to call it.

15. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

That is pretty damn interesting. I'll look for sound clips. If I'm not mistaken, the presence of signal from string motion in the wind, and the presence of magnets, probably shouldn't make the coil behave differently as far as introducing inductance to the ground-shunt goes, but, the inductance of pretty much any HB coil, even low-output ones, is still higher than what I'm aiming for and would produce too-low of a resonance frequency. But that's talking out my ass and I'll look for sound clips.

Forgive the profanity, I'm new around here. This a keep-it-clean type of community?

Digital Larry likes this.
  16. Digital Larry

Presumably you can tune the resonant frequency of a series RLC circuit by adjusting the cap which is easily done.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/series-resonance.html

17. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

True of an RC tone circuit, but for RLC there's more to it, because, when engaged, this type of tone circuit has a second, higher resonance peak. I'll probably start a new topic to illustrate them. A very rough version can be seen here.

The lower peak is the familiar one, determined by the pickup's inductance and the tone capacitor. This is working exactly the same way as a normal tone circuit without any inductor.

The added inductor introduces a new peak that's much higher, and sometimes even louder, than either the pickup's own "open" resonance peak frequency (uncolored by tone control) or the altered one with the capacitor only (which is lower than the pickup's, anyway). The frequency of this higher peak is only minimally affected by the capacitor and is almost entirely determined by the inductance of the tone inductor. Even the pickup's own inductance doesn't influence this very much.

This circuit also has a very deep frequency notch between the peaks. The frequency of the notch is determined by the combined effects of the cap and the inductor.

I appreciate the mention of the AES-800's use of the pickup coil as a tone-circuit inductor coil. As a matter of fact I toyed with trying that myself before I started winding my own tiny ones, but two things kept me from doing so. First, my pickups don't have four accessible conductors, the south finish and north start are wired together on the same lead, and, also the other thing I mentioned - I don't have an inductance measurement for the coil in question but I expect that it's quite a bit higher than I'll be satisfied with. It seemed to me that having control over the coil's parameters would bear more fruit than tinkering with the pickup.

18. Digital Larry

Ah no problem, sounds like you're deeper into it than I ever got. I can tell you that in this guitar it seems to cut out a lot of the mids resulting in a super twangy tone and don't know how adaptable it is to "regular" varitone sounds.

19. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

I did find a couple of sound clips of the Yamaha, and it does sound a lot like one of the Varitone settings.

20. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

I used this wiring in my recent Tele build. Standard 3 way switch with a push pull on the tone pot to get HOOP and Series when pulled up... It works and sounds good but only problem is the push pull is reversed and in the up position I get the standard T settings.

EEFBF992-8F9E-4493-8EEE-626235ADF5D2.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.