Your cookware preferences? Non stick, cast iron, stainless, carbon steel?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AJBaker, Apr 15, 2021.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Because you're eating the coating as it comes off. And it doesn't last long before it starts sticking, if you cook much.

2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

All my cookware is aluminum or copper non-stick but I bought this house a year ago that has an induction stove so cooking is difficult. That's why I'm selling the place.

3. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

IMAG0838.jpg Offset stick burner

Telecaster1954 and Hamstein like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

BTW, even though I am not a fan of Lodge cast iron, I basically cook exclusively on cast iron. That said, the Lodge scrub brush is the best thing I have ever used for cleaning cast iron. I have used mine daily for two years now and still looks like new. Also, as @Nickfl pointed out, cleaning cast iron with soap is fine, but the key is to dry with heat back on the burner. I heat before and after washing, but that is pretty easy on a wood cookstove.
    IMG_4950.JPG

5. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

It depends.

For instance doing a boeuf bourguignon should only be made in cast iron IMO. And every ragoût should be made in cast iron.

6. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

I use de Buyer carbon steel 95% of the time. I have an 8”, 10”, and 12”. I also have an enamel cast iron pan by Le Creuset that I like fine. I also have a Le Creuset Dutch oven that I use for chili, stews, spaghetti sauce, etc. I have some regular cast iron that I use for biscuits, cornbread, etc. But the de Buyer is where it’s at.

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

We've got it all.

Recently got some Al-clad. I can tell you, a good quality Al-clad has merit. It heats fast, distributes the heat properly, and I recently forgot I had some ground round browning, all the moisture cooked out, I heard the sizzling of death, and to my surprise, it didn't stick, and the burned layer was consistantly across the entire bottom, so I was able to salvage most of the meat.

We also use a lot of cast iron. I do like a carbon steel wok, we have two, and we do have two non-stick skillets that are holding up twice as good as anything we've ever had in 30 years.

The cookware we hated quickly, was some crappy 18-8 stainless that everything sticks to, hard to cook anything properly, and hard to clean. Oh, and it was such a poor conductor, took forever to heat anything. It was ditched quickly.

Second, the pyrex saucepan stuff. Looks cool, seems like it would be easy to clean...nope. Hard to clean, looong time to heat, and produced odd textures when trying to brown something, or saute, etc. It got donated eventually after cluttering up the cabinets for 5 years unused.

If I had to choose, I'd have an iron skillet, a carbon steel wok, porcelain over steel stock pot and Al-clad sauce pan(s). Maybe one non-stick skillet for special use.

8. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

Cast Iron only or enamelled cast iron only.

I gave up on nonstick when the NON Stick surface didn't stick to the pan!

While the Cast is definitely heavier it's the same as my guitars, I prefer heavier.

9. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

If you get a stubborn encrustation on your cast iron pans you can take a blow lamp to them, works a treat, re-season and good to go again. This thread is making me hungry!

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

My preference is for cast iron. It’s indestructible, cleans up well, and try as she might, my wife can’t burn anything on that can’t be gotten off.

11. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Iron skillet for bacon and cornbread, or eggs.
    Glass for baking chicken or turkey breast.
    George Foreman for chopped sirloin or burgers.

12. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

The key is the right pan for the job. Cast iron/carbon steel for meats and some fish, stainless for higher temp and sautee, non-stick for lower temp delicates and some fish, various stainless pots.

The ceramic GreenPans are some of the best non-stick I've found. I have some expensive Mauviel copper, but I also like MadeIn stuff.

IMG_5584.jpeg

13. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I kinda think you need all of the above. There are certain things that cooking in anything other than non-stick is just making harder for no reason. Don’t be a hero. Can I make scrambled eggs in stainless or cast iron? Sure. But they aren’t markedly better than in non-stick so why waste the effort. But there are certain things that just go way better in cast or stainless. I’m less sold on enameled cast as having a super-defined role. Plus it chips and stains fairly easily.

Harbinger77 likes this.
  14. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

de buyer skillet. anything le cruset (we find in tkmaxx for chesp)
    but in fairness to NS users (including my wife) seasoning and using a skillet properly is a skill in its self over and above what you're cooking.

15. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Cast iron. I have 2 skillets and a Dutch oven. I use the large skillet in the oven for roasts, so when I take it out, it goes on the burner for making gravy. Make all my soups in the Dutch oven.

BB likes this.
  16. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

I've been using a couple of T-fal non-stick skillets for many years. They are super non-stick and still look as good as brand new.

17. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I still use three Calphalon pans my wife and I got 30 years ago. As with our old, old cast iron fry pan and even older cast iron Dutch Oven, if you preheat them before use, there is no problem with anything sticking.

We have received a few copper crap or magic iron stone fry pans as gifts in the past few years.....those use no fat, butter, oil, no stick ever pans, the "It works on TV, but not when you get it home" stuff. Utter crap!

Give me cast iron or Calphalon please!

18. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

My father-in-law worked at the All-Clad plant.

We've got a house full of All-Clad, which will probably outlast me.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used, and still have cast iron but we dont use it any more. Too heavy for old folks to deal with.
    I hated the highly polished, very expensive, SS I had years ago. First they don't stay that way, and everything sticks in them.

I've found some thick aluminum coated fry pans I really like. They are more $ than the cheapies but not expensive. The coating is harder than normal teflon. "MegaCook"

20. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

I agree with a lot of that, but really, I am just left with stove envy.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.