1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your Commute. What's it Like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Aug 12, 2015.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

22 minute bike ride across Center City Philadelphia. I see trash trucks, cars, hipsters ...

2. Guitar Jones

Guitar Jones Tele-Meister

38 miles one way, 25 of them on an interstate that is more less stop and go. It can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. If there's an accident, forget it. I'm lucky to be home before 8 o'clock.

3. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

I work from home but have to go to other offices once or twice a week:

home: walk from bed to coffee pot to desk.
    One location: 85 miles of backroads on my motorbike (each way)
    Second location: 165 miles of backroads on my motorbike (each way).

I normally make it an overnight for location two, but have been known to go up and back in a day.

4. mr_big_trouble

mr_big_trouble Tele-Meister

I've got an eight mile commute, but it's all in heavy city traffic. About 30 - 45 minutes each way.

5. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

About 15 minutes ... a little less if I hit all the lights.

I could complain about traffic (there are always a couple of idiots), but really it is only 15 minutes and that is nothing.

I barely get to listen to any music and then I'm there.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

2 miles. But getting out and about is getting more difficult for me. Every time I put weight on my feet, pain. It's a 24/7 thing. This summer, I have been having a small group of students come over to the house for informal meetings about mathematics and music. Sometimes, one will pick me up and drive me to school, so that we can meet there. With such an easy commute, it is a shame that walking to and from my car is such a problem.

7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't thought about Commuting for five years……………….thanks for the bad memories :p

8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

12 miles of 2 lane back road through the woods and past a few farm fields. Usually see deer, turkeys and geese. 15 - 20 minutes. Love it.

9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Mine couldn't be easier. It's 7 miles one way, and I leave home a little after 5:00 am so there's no traffic at all. I get out of work at 2:00 PM every day, so I avoid the evening rush hour, too.

10. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

9.7 miles on city streets (Aurora IL) leaving from home at 6:30 am. 25 minutes.

11. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

Mine is 45 miles and it takes me about 50 - 55 minutes. I live in the country. One mile down my little road and I get on a 55mph two lane country highway that I take for about 30 minutes - that includes slowing down inside a couple villages. Then hop on the interstate for the next 15 minutes then 10 minutes on a divided city road (45 mph) and I'm there. Hardly any traffic stop it is an easy drive. Sometimes I get to work and can't really recall the specifics of the drive!!!

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My commute? Not really sure. Still waiting on the governor. Who'd have thought it'd take so long to commute a sentence?

13. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I ride my motorcycle to the BART station and take the train into San Francisco. Usually about 45 minutes to 1 hour unless there are problems. Lately, there are always problems.

14. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I call the dog, "Shelby, come on, it's time to go to work." and we both walk up the steps to the family room. I sit at my desk and she jumps up on the couch.

Unless I have to go to a customer site for a service call. Then it's anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours of driving, or worse yet a flight, and the dog's not invited.

15. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

This is sort of how hypnosis functions. Really.

16. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

I live i southern Sweden. Live in a small town, works in the next.
    It´s about 25 km drive by car, thats 15 miles to you. I could drive the motorway but mostly take the little two lane blacktop. It´s a 25 minute quiet drive in rural country and it looks most of the way like this:
    A nice little trip to start the day. Or end it.

Attached Files:

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Mine varies depending on whose house I'm destroying.

There is a perfect commute though : 25 minutes in medium traffic.

Any longer and it's like "when the hell am I gonna get home ?!"

Any shorter and it's not a long enough buffer between home/job.

Commute to new job starting tomorrow - 3 minutes no light/5 if I hit a light.

That's too close (for me there is such a thing...)

18. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Depends on weather an all.

Scoot down the subdivision to Airport road. Drive by cows and horses, over a small creek, past a couple of corn fields, and into another subdivision. At the 3rd or 4th light, make a left, through the subdivision, right turn and a total of 15 minutes later, park. (I'm 4.7 miles from work).

Returning home I might take a different route, a bit more crowded with traffic but a straight run.

If I'm on the motorcycle, I might head west into the mountains for an early morning ride before scooting into work. But I have to plan it so I leave a touch earlier.

Currently though my new boss is a total butt-head and is chasing off the team. I'm one of two Sr Unix Admins. The other interviewed Monday for a new job and I've interviewed once (over the phone one; "Windows?? No sir, I don't like it" :D ). I'm taking a couple of cert tests tomorrow and will send my resume out again next week.

Carl

19. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

About 10-15 min by car. I wish there were decent bike paths though for the whole way, then I would ride my bicycle.

20. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

11 miles across the city. 17 minutes unimpeded at 5AM. The trip home is anywhere from 40 minutes to more than twice that. It would be faster on my bike, but getting up that early and dealing with a dress code that's not bike friendly is more than I want to deal with most of the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.