1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Your 2 most versatile drives.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Festofish, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m always switching up my drives. I have 12 guitars that I regularly play so versatility is a plus. What 2 drive boxes do you use. Only 2...yeah I know. :D

Lately I’ve been using the Old Blood Noise Endevours Fault and a Mojo Mojo. That’ll change soon as it always does. This is all living room stuff so if you gig...don’t take my tonal advise.

fattybrisket, 19sixty3 and darkwaters like this.
  2. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

I really like the Way Huge Saucy Box. It works great with single coil and humbuckers. I also like the Boss OD-1X, which is fantastic.

I've got a Boss SD-2 in the mail that I hope is versatile, too.

Festofish likes this.
  3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

D46C1518-880A-45A6-8788-923175C43AC5.jpeg 7336D478-117A-4223-9CA5-5A01BA876294.jpeg I have a number of drives of staggering versatility. To pick just two, I’ll go with:

Wampler Tumnus Deluxe
    Wampler Triple Wreck V2

The Tumnus covers tones from sparkling *clean* to full rock n’ roll. The Triple Wreck does everything from Lightning to Justice.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Timmy
    Rat

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

This one's very versatile but, y'know, it had better be.

[​IMG]

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

BOSS OD-3
    DOD 250

MilwMark and Festofish like this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Most of my drives are boosts. That said. My favorites I've tried are a Les Lius and a Klon-type (both made by Smokin' Amp Co.), followed by a TC Electronic Spark Booster (full size). I'd really love to try a Barber Gain Changer, (but they are a little pricy right now for my blood)...and a Danelectro the Breakdown (but I'm going to have to grab one used, because I'm on a mission to minimize the money I send to China).

There are some dual drives I'd like to try too:
    • Edwards E89
    • Keeley D & M Drive
    • Analogman King of Tone (on the list)

Greggorios and Festofish like this.
  8. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

• J-Rockett Dude
    • elMo
    Will do from low gain, to SRV, to Zeppelin and ZZ-Top.

4BD34F1C-12EC-4072-A1EA-B03D20320EE0.jpeg
    48CFFD7D-0163-4D0B-AA54-79C94C64AF94.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    19sixty3 and Festofish like this.
  9. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Mine would be the Free The Tone "Heat Blaster" HB-2. I normally prefer a very smooth mid rich lead tone so most of my gain pedals are pretty specific to that type. (think Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, Carlos Santana). Still ..... there were many different gain tones, ( featuring more of a crunchy tone), I really enjoyed over the years. Paul Kossoff's tone on Free's "All Right Now" played live through a Marshall / Orange amp combination. Joe Walsh with "The James Gang". Jimmy Page with Led Zepp, Marc Bolan with T. Rex, Michael Bruce's rhythm guitar tone in the original Alice Cooper Band, Tony Iommi with Black Sabbath, Ritchie Blackmore with Deep Purple, etc., etc. The first pedal I purchased that came very close to these tones was a Hermida Audio Zendrive II, (which I still own). Over time I really never heard anything better until a friend let me try out his "Heat Blaster HB-2". More than anything it was the versatility of the pedal that sold me. The Zendrive, while being an excellent pedal, didn't provide enough crunch to get perfect Paul Kossoff tones or enough of a dip in the mids to get perfect Ritchie Blackmore or Tony Iommi gain tones. The Heat Blaster II knocked them out of the ballpark. Now ..... in all honesty ... the Heat Blaster II is not the perfect do all everything at it's best. It provides smooth lead tones but nowhere near the level of my desire. For those tones I'll use a B. K. Butler Tube Driver, Jam Pedel's Red Muck II or Mad Professor Amber Drive. Yet ..... of all of my gain pedals ..... the Free The Tone Heat Blaster HB-2 is definitely the most versatile and covers the most bases.

Festofish likes this.
  10. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

My drives are a Friedman BE-OD, BuGGFX Raincoat (Soviet-inspired muff), BYOC Superfuzz clone, Digitech Bad Monkey and a germanium Rangemaster clone. None are what I could say are versatile in any way, but are specifically there to give me the crunch tone in my head. However, the treble booster in front of these pedals has basically doubled my drives. Depending on the level of boost, each one becomes its own unique distortion effect. Most impressive is the TB into the Raincoat muff.

Festofish likes this.
  11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure about versatile, but these are the best two distortion pedals I've ever had.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

More of a preamp, but covers more ground than anything else I own. 9C38B05A-F71E-49C9-AE61-A279FF7CA400.jpeg

Maguchi and Festofish like this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Timmy
    Prince of Tone

J.E.M., igor5, Cosmic Cowboy and 2 others like this.
  14. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'd say Wampler Tumnus and Electro-Harmonix Crayon.

Festofish likes this.
  15. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

/ endless list of names

What specific qualities do you think make for a versatile drive pedal in the first place? Extensiveness of control over which frequencies are being most and least clipped and the clipping point (how low or high in amplitude clipping occurs), clipping devices used (clipping style; gradual, fast). Extensiveness of post clipping frequency response.

16. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dude!!! Get out of my head! The Michael bruce reference alone would have caught my attention. Alice-the band are hugely underrated musical figures.

17. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aion Electronics Mostortion clone and Benson Preamp are the two drive pedals that are the most used and versatile I own. Having said that. I lean more toward my Ge fuzz face clone or a MXR Distortion+ for dirty sounds that aren’t created by my amp. Hard to beat a 5E3 and an Orange OR15 for overdriven sounds.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

While I have a number of overdrive pedals, most of them cheap Chinese ones, I usually use a Peavey Hotfoot Distortion (Rat circuit) and a MXR Sugar Drive (Klone). I've also found that my Orange Kongpressor does a good overdriven boost on my SFPR when I dial back the compression.

19. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Tweed Deluxe turned up all the way.
    I have 2.
    Double the pleasure,
    and double the fun.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Maguchi, oldfish, Billy3 and 2 others like this.
  20. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Barber GCX is the most versatile I've owned or tried. Love the midrange knob and the ability to switch from low to medium gain. Works equally well with single coils and HBs. Works well any amp I've tried as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.