Your #1 Telecaster

pageophile

TDPRI Member
I picked this one up recently, a 2020 AO 50’s limited edition, which has pushed my ‘99 52 reissue out of the #1 tele spot for now. Lightweight and resonant with a chunky neck, it covers all the tele moods. This AO is every bit as nice as my CS ’56 Mary Kaye strat.

E14894F4-7F56-483F-A7D2-F3D796EE064F.jpeg
2D7C2E09-AF01-4015-9CDD-80885A2EF4A2.jpeg

richinmusic

TDPRI Member
Custom build, not ordered by me, but made by a luthier apprentice who sold this to me for cost of parts. After a brief phone conversation about music, goals, tastes, and some cosmic stuff, he was convinced that this was already mine. He was right. I used to be a Strat guy who had some Tele options for session work. This has become my #1 guitar ever.

Attachments

• Tele3.jpg
    Tele3.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 31

Ronhar

TDPRI Member

Jazzman1955

TDPRI Member
My 2019 American Performer Limited Edition Raw Ash Telecaster has entered my collection of keepers, and gets serious daily play. It is resonant and responsive with great pickups and pot/ switch array. Great modern C neck, about 7 lbs. 3 oz midline joined 2 piece swamp ash body. Mods are notched- lip toploader or string through option bridge, Gotoh compensated brass saddles, 4-way switch, and black pickguard
37EDEECE-689F-4E9E-96FB-ACE4EF909902.jpeg

Last edited:

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
Hands down my #1. The 2016 CS Caballo. I bought it new in 2018. I first saw it behind glass one year earlier and asked for it to be taken out. I played it through a Friedman Runt 20 (tiny combo amp) and I liked it immediately but, it went backing the glass display case.

It feels perfect in my hand and instantly comfortable.
It can get great tones in all 3 pickup positions.
Cosmetically, it's something I would order if ordering custom.

Attachments

• tempImagepoV0rh.png
    tempImagepoV0rh.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 42

Ronhar

TDPRI Member
Let’s talk about your #1 Telecaster. What makes it your workhorse? Any upgrades? Please give details and show a pic of available. Thanks!
I just wanted to thank everyone for the tour of your teles. Some really great stuff out there. I did notice some were almost stock and some were super modded. Many were the old standby blackguard butterscotch/cream. I also noticed very few had reversed control plates. I thought that mod was more popular. I have three Teles but none are Fenders lol. Anyway long live the perfect Tele quest.

tolstoi

TDPRI Member
I have touched plenty of Teles, but this is the one.* I didn't like silver, but the guitar won me over (and I've grown to like the color, which ranges from a pure silver into some shimmery blues depending on the light and shadow).

This guitar is impossibly good; it does everything well. I sold it once, but I was able to correct that mistake.

'67 Firemist Silver, Closet Classic light wear aging stuff...this guitar is just alive.

IMG_3268.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

---

* My friend owns the other #1 that I want, but it's going to take some time on that one.

Last edited:

Kost1978

TDPRI Member
Hi guys, I rarely write here, but I'm always reading.

My #1 Tele is a 2002 Standard MIM that got LOTS of changes during the years!
Right now it has:
-Fender USA bridge with Wilkinson (quite dirty...) brass saddles;
-SD Quarter Pound in bridge position and Tonerider Rebel90 in neck position;
-CTS pots, orange drop cap, Gibson knobs.
The neck during the years got a beautifull yellow look, it was really white when I bought it. And it's getting quite reliced, because of the numerous gigs.
All in all a great workhorse!
Fender-Tele-MEX-2002.jpg

Elessar

TDPRI Member
Hi guys, I rarely write here, but I'm always reading.

My #1 Tele is a 2002 Standard MIM that got LOTS of changes during the years!
Right now it has:
-Fender USA bridge with Wilkinson (quite dirty...) brass saddles;
-SD Quarter Pound in bridge position and Tonerider Rebel90 in neck position;
-CTS pots, orange drop cap, Gibson knobs.
The neck during the years got a beautifull yellow look, it was really white when I bought it. And it's getting quite reliced, because of the numerous gigs.
All in all a great workhorse!
View attachment 998264
Kost, I like the saddle and neck wear. A clear sign that the guitar is well-loved and well used!

What's your pickguard sticker? I know it's probably something I should recognize, but I don't.

Spencer

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
The last couple of years it's been this guitar, a parts guitar, roadworn body with a Baja neck, pickups are Lollar Vintage T's, saddles are some brand of compensated brass saddles I had in a drawer. I think the bridge plate is from a Hwy 1...a true parts caster lol. I've never had a Tele I liked better. It's been a blackguard, then a white guard, then back to black...It's a goodern. Bartonville 4-22-22.jpg Cleburne 1-29-22.jpg EVD 11-27-21.jpg

Echo79

TDPRI Member
^ More about the N4 pickups: they’re a compromise. You give up a little (IMO) tonal purity and “magic” for a tele that can be easily used in higher-gain scenarios. That suits me, may not suit you.