Your #1 Tele, Your #1 Strat, or Both

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Jul 10, 2019.

1. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tele is a Squier Tele Custom II with Duncan Designed P90s and an aftermarket neck. Absolutely killer guitar and it actually replaced my Gibson Les Paul Special with P90s. The Strat is a MIM Lonestar from when they still used the same Texas Special and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups that the original USA models came with. Another killer guitar and they make a great pair.

Jake Nelson, DHart, Slip Kid and 2 others like this.
  2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

IMG_20190311_095402.jpg

3. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

These two, (because, maybe) also my only ST/TE's that remained! :D

[​IMG]

1981 ST80R and 1980 TE80R

Fretting out and Ivorytooth like this.
  4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

This is a fun thread. Great pics of great guitars. And it tracks with my own thoughts and experiences of late.

First of all, I hear you on the difficulty of singling one out when I’ve got multiple teles to choose from. I’ve got five, all of which are Logan Custom teles. So each one is distinctive, and it is fair to say that two of them are unique: specifically, my “Firecasters,” teles made from salvaged wood from our house fire. So I feel a tinge of guilt in saying this, but if pressed for an answer, I’d have to say that my newest Logan Custom Firecaster is my #1 tele.
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, pics I took - 2.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, pics I took - 3.jpg 07-13-2019 - Firecaster II - 2.jpg

Truthfully, I ordered this tele from Bob Logan with the idea in mind that it would become my #1, at least in terms of my #1 gigging tele. I learned from my other Logan Custom teles what worked best for me for gigging purposes, so I knew what I wanted for this latest custom build. And of course, the top and back veneers (on a chambered basswood core stained dark walnut) are made from 83 year old planks of Long Leaf Pine salvaged from our house fire. And our house was built by a family member in 1936, we're just the second owners.

So this guitar tells a story just by being onstage, before I ever play a note. It's a very personal story, a story of family, of hearth and home, of tragedy to triumph. I love my other Logan Custom teles, my mahogany, my "Logo" thinline and my BSB...
    07-13-2019 - Logan Customs 1-3.jpg

...and they're not going anywhere. But as great as they are, they can't match the connection to my Firecaster.

As for my #1 strat, well, I don’t have a strat. But I've got another tele for that. Specifically, my first Firecaster. The house fire took place in May of 2010, and the rest of that year and on into the spring of 2011 was a time of living out of our garage apartment while our house was being rebuilt. So it took me a while to do much with the lumber I salvaged from the fire, aside from using it to go back into the rebuild. (The floor of our attic is now made from that Long Leaf Pine planking that formerly made up the exterior and interior shiplap construction walls.) But I eventually sent a good bit of it to Bob Logan, and in 2012 he made my first Firecaster.

The same salvaged LLP was for a top veneer on Firecaster I, with the back/body core being made of Douglas Fir (from the old roofing joists). And the reason I said this one passes for my strat is that it has a 5-way switch. The pickups are Bill Lawrence Keystones for tele, the wiring scheme is Lawrence's. Positions #3-#5 are standard the tele configuration. Position #1 (all the way back towards the bridge) is the neck pickup with 10% less low end (what I choose to call "neck lite"), while #2 position is both pickups "half out phase." This approximates "Strat quack" well enough for my purposes.

And so Firecaster I is my #1 "strat," and Firecaster II is my #1 tele. And to me it's just so very cool to have both of these very unique and so very personal guitars onstage to cover a wide range of tones.
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecasters I & II.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    black_doug, perttime, Rich724 and 3 others like this.
  5. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

7314D195-ACC2-4FEA-8181-A9FF7C4FBB73.jpeg

Attached Files:

6. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

My Godin Progression and my Godin Session Custom. Not exactly a Strat or Tele but close.

00F54A4D-D24D-4761-8A38-AFE9BD97317E.jpeg

49459686-38FB-4399-AB43-DE593E52ABF6.jpeg

Fretting out likes this.
  7. LGOberean

As I said, I don't have a Strat, and I don't have a Nashville Tele, either. But I could see me doing a 3 pickup/Nashville style at some point on down the road. My aforementioned Firecaster I, with the half out of phase setting, approximates the bridge + middle "Strat quack" sound, but it doesn't do that Strat middle or the middle + neck thing. So, yeah, I could see me liking a Nashville.

For now, though, I'm quite content with how my two Firecasters cover the spectrum.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

upload_2019-7-13_19-53-58.jpeg
    #1 Tele — my only actual Tele: American Elite in Mystic Black. It would take a very good Tele to knock this off #1 spot... only my AO ‘60s Jazzmaster gives it a run for its money.
    And this...
    upload_2019-7-13_19-56-15.jpeg
    ...is the nearest I have to a Strat, and it’s DNA is part-Tele too (the bridge and bridge pickup): if I need Strat sounds I play this, otherwise it waits for a mid-gig string-break...

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure I've mentioned before, Larry, but the way I have mine wired, I cannot get the "middle" by itself, like you can on a legit Strat......I kept the standard three-way switch (for neck, neck+bridge, and bridge) I then have a mini toggle between the volume and tone knobs, to add the middle to whatever else is selected. This way, I can actually have all three going at the same time, although I never do. 90% of my playing is done on "normal" neck+bridge, with rare use of bridge only, bridge+middle, neck+middle, or neck only. I play around a little with my tone control, plus I change WHERE I pick, to alter the sound. I use the middle p/up so rarely, I'm sorely tempted to just remove it entirely. ;)
    I still admire your Logans.....just can't justify the price. (for me)

10. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

96F72C0E-FB34-47DB-BFDB-087DE5DBF4EB.jpeg
    These three are named the Three Amigos but the number one Stratocaster is the one on the right and the number one Telecaster is the one in the middle.

Fretting out and DHart like this.
  11. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

Here’s my “current” number ones.
    A 2014 avri 65 stratocaster in burgundy mist metallic.... okay I’ll say it once more, burgundy mist metallic mmmmmm....
    I bought it in 2016 or 2017 and it was virtually unplayed which I don’t know why because it’s awesome even still had the lil trem hole sticker on.
    And the tele is a new jimmy page that’s become a favorite. I can’t seem to put her down . I’ve said too much ( the other Teles will hear me) ;)

E17613F7-F956-49F9-B055-F2D900E3EDD9.jpeg

Slip Kid, KelvinS1965 and felis like this.
  12. LGOberean

I still admire your Logans.....just can't justify the price. (for me)[/QUOTE]
    You have mentioned before your particular wiring scheme/toggle switch, though I don't know if you've told me before about the percentage of usage of the different pickup selections, or the idea of removing the the middle pickup.

I too live mostly in the both-pickups-in-parallel mode. (I hesitate to call it "middle position" because on both my teles with a 4-way, as well as the Firecaster with the 5-way, both pickups in parallel is not the middle position.) And like you I rarely use the bridge pickup by itself, especially not on the Firecaster I with the Keystones. Those pickups are so "transparent," so "hi-fi," it sounds icepick-y on its own.

I rarely ever hear anyone talk about justifying the price of a Logan Custom. My Firecaster II tallied up to just a few dollars less than the price of an American Performer series Tele, and it's possible to order one even in the higher end of the MiM price range. Of course, if you're saying you can't justify spending a grand or so on another guitar, I can understand that. I paid for this guitar with all of my earnings from three gigs, and then some. I didn't really need this guitar, and I certainly don't need another guitar. However, that's no guarantee that I won't buy another guitar...:oops::twisted:

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I only own one of each, and I’d never owned a strat until a couple of months ago. I really fell in love with the sound of the Strat and barely touched the Tele since. I gigged with the Strat Thursday evening, and it just kind of left me flat.

Picked up the Tele again yesterday, and it was like an epiphany. I can make a strat sound good. But holy cow, a Tele just feels more organic in my hands.

Or maybe I’m just fickle.

Fretting out likes this.
  14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Both of these guitars are beautiful but the green is outstanding! Very, Very nice!

Deathray likes this.
  15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

American Standard/Warmoth neck
    [​IMG]

And my partscaster American Standard/EMG/Warmoth [​IMG]

Fretting out and 8trackmind like this.
  16. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

What is thise Aged White Blonde tele in middle? Love it

17. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

That one, and actually all three of these, are Ron Jeffrey’s Custom Guitars. I do really like the feel and action on that guitar.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

My 63 NOS CS Tele
    fullsizeoutput_2aa.jpeg
    My WW10 CS NOS 57 Strat
    fullsizeoutput_1d8.jpeg

Fretting out, 8trackmind and coolidge like this.
  19. coolidge

coolidge TDPRI Member

2018 American Special - Upgrades Joe Barden pickups, Fender Deluxe locking tuners, Highwood saddles.

[​IMG]

Smooth Highwood saddles, note how the height adjustment grub screws are below the surface.

[​IMG]

Fretting out and 8trackmind like this.
  20. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My number one Tele is my much modded 1971 Tele. Bought it new, never going part with it. My forever Tele.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.