Your #1 Tele, Your #1 Strat, or Both

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Jul 10, 2019.

1. jonobolton

jonobolton TDPRI Member

Trim those strings, you animal.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I usually do but both those pictures were taken right after the build/mods were completed. I usually leave the strings uncut for a few days just in case I have to disassemble it again to fix problems.

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Meet...'The Twins':
    Fender Twins 2.jpg

Modified/routed Classic 50s Tele with DiMarzio 36th Anniversary humbucker in the neck/SD Lil 59 in the bridge/treble bled volume/pull tone to parallel or series the Lil 59, plus Bakelite 'guard and modified bridge with cut down sides.

Japanese Squier Strat bought new in 1982, recently fitted with Bareknuckle Apaches and an Eric Clapton mid boost kit, plus hand rubbed black pickguard for a faux bakelite look.

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

My number one, and only Tele, is this...
    20190703_124747.jpg

My Strat is a Jag.

5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Shell pink American Special for me -- goes out on every gig. #1 Strat isn't a fender anymore, it's a Music Man Cutlass, great pickups, great neck, may yet displace the tele onstage. But not yet . . .

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

#1 and only Tele: AV 64 Fiesta Red

20190518_131519.jpg

#1 and only Strat: AV 59 Black with Rosewood

20190518_143120.jpg

mimmo, Skydog1010, Slip Kid and 8 others like this.
  7. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

My number 1 Tele is my only tele: CVC body, Baja neck, Fender Compensated Brass saddles, and a revolving door of pickups. Currently a Dimarzio 36th aniiversary PAF in the neck. REally thinking I want a Cavalier Oildale in the bridge now.

Now with strats, I have 2: 1988 American Standard in Pewter and my 1996 SRV Signature. The 88 has my favourite tone but the SRV has my favourite feel. Presently, replacing the neck on the 88 and the pickups in the SRV. Will see who wins after that. But they both were gifts with extreme sentimental value so neither is going anywhere, even if I get any other strats.

DHart likes this.
  8. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

#1 is my tele partscaster, roasted swamp ash body with belly/forearm/neck contours, roasted maple neck, Fender 4th gen noiseless P/U's, which I had on hand, but they may change soon to Dimarzios when I decide on which ones ;))
    tele 01.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

On the other hand, it's really freakin' easy when you have one of each. I've owned others, but always moved on from them. These feel like keepers, at least to the extent I always keep a strat and a tele. I'm still more of a strat guy and I could eventually decide to go back to one electric guitar, in which case the tele and my ES339-P90 would be out of luck. But this is them. A Robert Cray hardtail strat and a Roadworn 50s tele. Both are almost completely original, both have been pleked and setup the way I like 'em, both play as well as a strat or tele can play and, to my ears, sound the way they're supposed to.

The only thing that's NOT original is the wiring on my strat. I have two no-load tone pots - the first one is shared between the neck and bridge pups with the second one dedicated to the middle. I know this setup wouldn't work for a lot of folks, but it works great for me. It gives me an independent tone control for any pickup in any combination and the no-load essentially allows me to run any pickup totally wide-open if I choose - I'll often run the middle wide open when I'm playing the 2 or 4 position to get the most quack when that's what I'm after.

[​IMG]unnamed-2 by Ray, on Flickr

10. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

I am a home player and I have decided everything I have is a number 1. I just can't see a reason to create a pecking order. If I don't like it, it is gone. If I like it, I keep it and it gets used. I will likely only own these 4 guitars, so depending on what I want to play, I pick one of them to do the job. I have already posted this pic here before, but will post one more time. All stock except for the far right strat.

Left to right - 2017 Am Pro Elite Strat/ebony/Ocean Turquoise Metallic - 2016 Baja 60s Tele/rosewood/Faded Sonic Blue - 2019 Am Pro Tele Deluxe/rosewood/3TSB - 1998 California Series Strat/rosewood/Candy Apple Red with PV59 pups

GuitarFamily.JPG

felis, nojazzhere, Skydog1010 and 3 others like this.
  11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Treadplatedual likes this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Wonderful Tele... I'd love to hear more about the body and neck - where are they from?

13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I agree, no need to create a pecking order. And I feel the same way about mine... they're each #1, in their own ways. But I do know which I would keep if I could only have one Strat and one Tele.

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Very interesting set up with your tone pots, Ray! And I love the color of that Cray!

raysachs likes this.
  15. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

My #1 Tele is a 2002 American Series in Chrome Red and my #1 Strat is a 2014 FSR American Standard in Aztec Gold, both purchased new. I don't have any pics of my Strat so I've attached a stock photo but the Tele pic is of mine.

Chrome Red Tele.JPG

Strat1.jpg

16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

My #1 Strat is my new Am Performer, the best Strat I've ever owned, and I've had dozens. DSCN0748.JPG
    A DSCN0735.JPG And my only Tele is a Squier CVC, which is SO good that I feel no need to upgrade to any other.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

My two #1 Fender guitars together, and my #1 amp: AV52 2011 tele, AV 65 strat, ’64 Tremolux with a repro cab. Love them! Sorry, no color pic of the whole family together.

IMG_6229.jpeg

For my swing gigs, this one has taken spot #1… yeah, I know, OT ;)

IMG_5903.jpg

18. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Love the finish on your Strat Performer! Beauty.

To my eyes, it would look even "more awesome-r" with a black guard, though. :eek:

A la...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Every single time I see that red tele on a pic it looks better. How’s that even possible? It’s got to be one of the sexiest teles I’ve seen, ever. For me it’s up there with @rze99 ’s creations. And I’m sure it sounds and plays just as good.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  20. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Another "two in one".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.