Your #1 Tele, Your #1 Strat, or Both

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Jul 10, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Picking a #1 is difficult when you have several really nice ones to choose from, but last night I came to the conclusion that if there was one Tele and one Strat that I would never let go of.... it came down to these two - both in my favorite color, Mystic Red. There are a number of other finishes that I also love, but Mystic Red just does it for me, the most.

2014 Fender American Standard Strat with D.Allen Voodoo 69 pickups
    (These VooDoo69s were made back when DAllen was doing his own winding. They sound even better than my close favorites, Fender CS Fat '50s and Fender Tex-Mex.)

2012 Fender American Standard Tele with Antiquity II Mini Humbucker at the neck, and Cavalier Oildale bridge pickup. (This could be my favorite Tele bridge pickup of all time.)

These are my faves in part because of the color, also because of the necks and pickups, and the way I have them each set up. I like maple necks, but must say, the rosewood boards are my favorite. Fantastic playing & fantastic tones.

The belly/rib cut on the back of the Am Std Tele is pure frosting on that Tele cake! The Tele also has a Switchcraft Les Paul style toggle switch.

And, the Strat has steel Tele knobs on it - love 'em!

[​IMG]

So... what is your #1 Tele, your #1 Strat, or BOTH?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    oregomike, Cerb, jannodude and 24 others like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My #1 Telecaster is ALSO my #1 Stratocaster. My 1983 MIJ Fender Squier Strat hasn't been out of the closet in ages. pathfinder 15R 102.JPG

3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

#1 Strat.
    [​IMG]

#1 Telecaster
    [​IMG]

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

BF423F2A-E132-4B1B-93FA-C5F538FCA1B3.jpeg DAE726DC-88B4-4725-ACAB-403A04D53D36.jpeg

My #1 is my Chet.
    #2 is my Tele
    #3 is my EJ Strat.
    My Goodall RCJC is my #1 acoustic.
    Great stuff!

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

great pic !

DHart likes this.
  6. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

Probably sacrilege on TDPRI, but my #1 Tele is the tide pool HH
    AEA8ACC9-95BD-4ABC-A6F3-A4EE0B9996CD.jpeg

E5C0E009-C09C-4310-ACBC-2D9464142673.jpeg

8trackmind, jannodude, DonM and 13 others like this.
  7. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

My one, and only strat (for now)
    So, #1 by default
    3C6119CE-E5B4-4556-8576-3FA66683BA88.jpeg

8. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

Oh man that’s a pretty one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deathray and DHart like this.
  9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Man, don't you just love that Strat middle pickup tone - sweet, full, and bright - all at the same time! The Nashville-style makes for a great combination.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  10. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20181010_161902.jpg

ASAT special from the kid I bought it from. Had no interest in it anymore so I picked it up from his dorm. Bonus because it was a semi-hollow body and he didn't know anything about that stuff. 250 bucks.

It's my favorite and main guitar. I've got a highway one tele but this one is easiest to play and 4.9lbs.

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yeah... gorgeous Strat!

And, I'm with you on the Tidepool HH! It is a really gorgeous color. And I love the contoured back on these! Great choice.

I ran a few different humbuckers in mine for a while, then converted mine to Tele Bootstrap Pretzel neck pickup and Fender CS Fat '50s Strat bridge pickup. It's right up there neck-and-neck for my #1 also. Wonderful combination of tones. I bought mine as a body-only, so I put a 2018 American Special Rosewood neck on it. Switchcraft Les Paul-style toggle selector switch is another thing I like on all of my Teles.

[​IMG]

12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Great score on the ASAT semi-hollow body! I love the bridge on those, especially. And, at around 5 lbs.... NICE.

What are the pickups like?

13. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

They remind me of jazzmaster pickups with more bass and a slightly scooped mid-range. The treble is very sparkly but never any ice pick even with the tone controls dimed on the bridge pickup.

The neck pickup sound is my favorite tone of all time. If you need a sound reference for a lead sound on the neck pickup look up Hellecasters back on Terra firma. What a tone....

DHart likes this.
  14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I only have one guitar at the moment, I used to have 5... sold all 4 and brought 1 when I moved here in OZ. Then traded that +cash to my holy grail tele.

AVRI 62.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a Vintage U, Solid Rosewood telecaster neck sitting here that needs a body, but Im broke as. So I cant build my number 2.

15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

My #1 Tele (or any guitar) is my '62 AVRI Surf Green Custom Telecaster - that looks exactly like all other '62 AVRI Surf Green Custom Telecasters :)

Two Strats and as much as I try - I just can't bond with them.

DHart likes this.
  16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Here are both of mine.

B9BBE431-F0E8-444E-AEDD-B74DD4FBD1C5.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  17. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

You laugh uncontrollably at Esquire players don't you?

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

To me, "#1" doesn't mean the same thing as, "If I had to pick just one I wouldn't let go of."

To me, #1 means my main gigging axe. There are others I would never be able to let go of for sentimental reasons, even though they aren't my #1 gigging axe.

#1 Tele: the Esquire in my Avatar. Custom ordered '02 Custom Shop white guard reissue. That said, my American Vintage '58 reissue, which I have had for about a year now, is giving the Esquire a run for its money.

#1 Strat: 2014 AV '54 reissue (60th anniversary limited edition). This took over the number one Strat spot the day I got it (sorry other Strats/Legacys; the '54 RI is dead perfect).

As for the last ones I would get rid of, it would be the same guitar for the Tele, but for the Strat, it would be a hard choice between my first guitar (heavily modded '85 MIJ '50s reissue Strat) or one my dad left me when he died ('94 MIJ '50s reissue Strat, with my home-brewed custom "sleeper" wiring).

DHart and 8trackmind like this.
  19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

CAR AV64 Tele, and IBM CS63 Strat. Strat has Big Dipper pickups. Tele is bone stock, except a treble bleed.

My maple-board 50s era Tele and Strat are close behind, but if forced to choose, it's always early 60s Fender, for me...

case full.JPG

20171123_185557 copy.jpg

20. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Good point on the gigging #1 vs. which one I would never sell. While they all get rotated, I usually use a Tele as the primary as they stay in tune well and you can go to open tunings easily. The strat I gig with is set up for slide. (When I don't have room for the lap steel)

So, the the #1 Gigging tele is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 (slide) Strat is:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.