Young people dropping out - after college

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Unfortunately I know more than a few young adults who have recently graduated with nice college degrees, often with big college debt, and then they just -stall-. No career job, no internship, no graduate school, no more training.. they just go back to mom and dads, or some other menial existence where they are not living up to their potential.

I'm sure the recent dramas in the world have had an effect on these poor kids.. there seems to be alot of anxiety. I'm also not sure the best way to help or encourage these lost souls.

It seemed like it was easy when I graduated college like 30 years ago.. I know it has got to be a lot tougher and competitive now.. but still, these kids gota try, and keep trying... I hope.

Any similar experiences on your side? suggestions that worked?

Cheers

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We've got some younger (under 40) people where I work, and there just seems to be a completely different vibe to them compared to the older folks. Different attitude, different work ethic, different expectations. I hate to say it, but there is noticeable entitlement in some of them, and that won't get you anywhere. Hard work and perseverance is where success comes from, not waiting around impatiently for it to be handed to you.

1955, Speedfish, Jerry J and 21 others like this.
  3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

This is exactly what was said of the boomers by their parents. Funny how these things become cyclical.

middy, kylejf90, stevemc and 38 others like this.
  4. Vibroluxer

Vibroluxer Tele-Meister

"They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else."

Aristotle

middy, Gibson, David C and 39 others like this.
  5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

That is a completely different topic unrelated to this thread. Please don't derail this conversation or we will get locked.

I'm talking specifically about anxiety, paralysis almost, at an age when getting a college degree.

Thanks

6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Shaking your fist at a cloud should help.

7. Frodebro

This is very true, so I guess I'm lucky that I'm of a generation that was on the upper arc of the cycle.

Jerry J likes this.
  8. Frodebro

It's based on how I interpreted your original post, so perhaps your presentation isn't quite what you were intending.

9. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I dunno, I'll (hopefully) graduate with a 2-year degree next Spring. I'll be 47 at the time. I wish it weren't true but I've kinda lost the self-confidence and motivation to do anything with it. It'd be dumb not to try, as I've put so much time and money into it, but I just want to be done. Done with all of it.

Fortunately, I will graduate with no debt at least.

10. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Same was said about Generation X too.

Gibson, davidchagrin and skunqesh like this.
  11. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

https://misterrogers.org/videos/i-like-to-be-told/

Some of these young adults have been in the chute their whole lives, and don't know what to do when they're not being "told". :rolleyes:

This is not a new phenomenon and everyday I witness the ones who are pushing through to take control of their lives.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  12. Frodebro

Which would be my generation...

surfco likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My older daughter got her B.Sci. last year. She took one year off to regroup, working two jobs -- one with street-entrenched drug addicts and the other with seniors with dementia. If there was entitlement, I missed it. She just started a master's programme to work in Pathology.

She is lucky because she didn't rack up student debt -- her first two years were at the Canadian equivalent of a community college, then two years at Uni, which isn't that expensive here, and all of it paid for by savings set aside by her grandfather.

We never push her or tell her what to do. She's someone who has to take her own decisions. For example, my wife also works at the street clinic where my daughter got a job, but she didn't want her mother to pull any strings, so one day my wife went to work and saw her daughter working there!

In the end, I don't have any answers.

14. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

My son dropped out his junior year. His friends who got their degrees in Art History, his field, can't get decent jobs.

Junior works at Trader Joe's, gets $25 an hour, 401k , full medical, dental and optical.

He puts 8% into his 401k, invests in the stock market. and house sits for friends and family. Still single, he pays no rent and drives either his 1982 Mercedes that runs on both diesel and vegetable oil or his 1993 Corolla station wagon.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Gibson, surfco, davidchagrin and 16 others like this.
  15. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

stevestevesteve likes this.
  16. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

We are being expected to do more, be more qualified, for less pay and security. We are more susceptible to companies not holding on to us, never giving raises, or giving us “benefits” that look like “pizza party Friday y’all!” Still in our 30s or 40s. So for a lot of us, we work for a couple years until we find a better deal and move on. If the company isn’t going to give us at least in today’s dollars/benefits what they gave our parents in the 80s at our age, then we have no economic incentive to give it our all. Simple as that. Nothing to do with work ethic or entitlement, or generations...just companies over time trying to get more out of their employees for less and expecting the same amount of loyalty and effort. The boomers were fortunate enough to get in at the right time wage wise, and they also don’t often realize how bad we’re getting screwed.

I’ve been in some jobs where I’ve told older coworkers my wage and they were appalled at how little I was getting paid, they really had no idea. I was in one job where an older secretary with a high school diploma was making close to the current estimated mid career salary of a degree in my field. Feel like half of my friends have made radical career changes that they didn’t even need to go to school for, to do marginally better. Stuff like that is a real existential kick in the teeth. It often just feels like we’re just running in place.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Matt G, knopflerfan, middy and 43 others like this.
  17. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Nice. When I graduated I remember a coworker telling me how good TJ is with their workers. Wish more places were like that.

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I have a senior at Baylor. Dean’s list. Academic scholarship. Works as a student assistant in a lab where she earned the trust of the PI and is the student leader for the lab this year, meaning she’s in charge of grad students and post docs. When she was home for you know what last year she was at the dining room table from about 6 when I got up to well after 11pm most days. She has interned full time each of the past 4 summers. She doesn’t party as much as I did, that’s for sure. She wants to earn a PhD. But if she doesn’t get into grad school she’s going to have nowhere to go. I believe she’ll get in because her CV is stacked. But it’s terrifying for her to think about it.
    I wouldn’t describe her as lazy or lacking motivation.

It’s Labor Day and I slept in. My high school kid was in pads at 6am and practiced until noon. Then did homework until dinner. Still doing homework. And practice is at 6am tomorrow. Top 100 school in the US, teachers don’t care if you’re tired. It’s Labor Day and he’s been accepted to 3 colleges already. I wouldn’t describe him as lazy.

I was an average student and got accepted to every school I applied to. Last time I was downsized I was unemployed 4 days. It’s not like that for young professionals. I don’t think kids or even millennials are lazy at all. I think there are twice as many people as there were when I was a kid. And the same number of colleges. And not twice number of really good opportunities. Kids today have to be scrappers. I’m in total envy of how hard my kids work. Way harder than I do.

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

what does a degree in Art History lead to, work wise?....o_O

teaching Art history?...appraising art while Rome burns?....:D

DHart, SRHmusic, horax and 3 others like this.
  20. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

That's a toughie, but you're right, they've got to keep trying.

It can take years to find the right program or degree that you want to do and that will also be beneficial. Same thing with your job/career.

I dropped out of two colleges and didn't go back until years later. I changed my major partway through. But I found what worked for me and I started building on successes. I found a company I liked and was able to build my work ethic and resume. Then once I got my bachelor's (with honors!), within months I got hired at an even better company. And that was a struggle at first...I very nearly quit in my first month...but I stuck with it and five years later I couldn't be happier with my job and the company I work for. Truly happy.

So, yeah, don't give up. The successes will be small at first, but they'll pile up if you keep at it, and you'll find your way. That's my advice, I guess.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.