1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

you thoughts on helping a new player?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Sep 25, 2020.

1. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

I just started to learn in June. The free resources available online are incredible. My favorites are Justin Guitar and Marty Music. Justin has a free beginners course which covers all of the basics and has suggested practice routines. Marty is a great teacher of how to play songs. I learned the basics (chords) from Justin, but my practice consists of learning songs that I like from Marty. Because of this I am not good at strumming (which Justin is more focused on), but am probably ahead on picking, bending, etc. I know that I need to work on chord changes and strum patterns, but I find learning Gilmour solos and Page riffs so much more fun.

Here are some songs where certain skills clicked for me while learning:
    Black Dog- alternate picking
    Wish You Were Here intro- mixing strumming and picking
    Money solo- bends
    Ain't Talking Bout Love- palm muting

thunderbyrd likes this.
  2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Howard_McDonald

THIS^^. My buddy in the Wiki article said the same to me. This guy is like Coltrane with a guitar and can improvise anything. Took a few lessons from him, learned a song and “noodled”. He warned me of being to formal about it and said to find your sound first, THEN learn what youre doing. Says he formally studied long enough to mainly get the lingo down so he could sound more intelligent with the other studio musicians.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I practiced strumming patterns a little bit in the earliest stages of my learning. Once I started learning songs though, my ears started guiding my strumming unconsciously. If I wanted my playing to match the song as closely as possible, I had to find the strumming pattern myself. Whenever I started playing and thinking down up, down up, down down up, or whatever, my playing would always fall apart. So strumming patterns are just not something I spend time on. I learn them by accurately playing songs. I actually think I've developed my own strumming patterns that I prefer when I play my own harmonies.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Screenshot_20200627-190538_Google.jpg

Here is a good place to start.
    Screenshot_20200627-190538_Google.jpg

Toast and thunderbyrd like this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is the whole ball game.

What you have done looks fine as a starting point for any guitar player. Now you have to see whether she really wants to play. If she does, you can't stop her; if she doesn't, you can't help her.

smoothrecluse and thunderbyrd like this.
  6. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

I second all the posts recommending to have her play songs, especially if she is already a singer.

If you have shown her G, D, Em, C, that's the beginning of Let It Be...

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

bullseye, P Thought. over the years, i've had any number of teenagers ask me to show them how to play. when i couldn't show them how to play metallica or queensryche in one day, they lost interest. Katie is actually interested in learning the basics. i hope she'll truly hang with it and learn to GET DOWN.

P Thought likes this.
  8. David Meiland

David Meiland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm someone who noodles on guitar too much and calls it practicing. I just checked out the video you posted and I'm gonna get a lot of mileage out of adding that to my routine.

RadioFM74 and thunderbyrd like this.
  9. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Everybody loves the getting down, but, in the real world, guitarists spend >90% of the time comping.
    Nobody enjoys jamming with the player that can't keep time, doesn't know how to play changes, and gets down all over everybody.
    Having her practice strumming some chords to build up strength, dexterity and right/left hand coordination is a good start.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

To be fair, not many people are going to be happy practicing chords and learning music theory for months without playing something. Learning a few easy (one string) riffs will give a beginner the confidence that they could actually play something that they have heard. I learned the Satisfaction and 7 Nation Army riffs the first couple of days of playing and it really helped to motivate me to learn more.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Having taught primary school kids their first guitar chords for a few years I found out that the kids who picked it up the fastest were the ones who had some experience with other instruments like drums/marimba/singing, etc.. and the ones who wanted to entertain.

they saw adults singing and playing guitar, so it was an ends to a means kinda thing... I need to learn guitar to do what they do.... I want to get up at the end of year concert and do a song... they practiced at home all the time..

soon they started stringing their own chord sequences together based on the vocal lines they used, by ear... found the chords that fit... started singing me songs they had written as they got older...

the same way a kids learns to ride a bike, because they desperately want to.... older kids are whizzing around on them, how hard could it be?... :)

P Thought and thunderbyrd like this.
  12. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Triad charts are my new practice tool. Wish I had understood their importance earlier. They're becoming my main practice tool these days. Improvising the different shapes is quickly expanding my fretboard understanding.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Great basic triad charts - and being colour coded, you can tell her she gets all the minor inversions by dropping the 'blue' note 1 semitone.

But ..... Diminuished triad?? ..... Augmanted triad??

14. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

fins out what she wants to play. What’s her favourite song.

thunderbyrd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.