1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

you thoughts on helping a new player?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Sep 25, 2020.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hello: recently, my daughter-in-law decided she wants to learn to play guitar. she's right around 30 years old. she is actually very talented as a singer, she sings and acts in community theater. and she's funny as heck.

so she told me, "I don't just want to play, i want to GET DOWN." so i show her G, C, D and Eminor and basically told her to work with those chords and get to where it's not too hard to change between them.

i showed her the basic pentatonic box pattern and told her to just play through that, up and down, one finger per fret. i told her to not worry right now about what the pattern means, just get familiar with fingering it.

i showed her the basic boogie pattern at open E, just two strings and told her to work at it til she's comfortable with it.

the next time i saw her, i showed her E7, A7, and B7, all in first position and told her there's about a thousand blues songs in those chords.

so she's working at these things. what should i show her next?

Greggorios and Tonetele like this.
  2. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Looks like you have a great start on it ... I'd suggest strumming patterns and rhythm with all those chords.

Greggorios and thunderbyrd like this.
  3. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

Tell her to buy one of these:
    upload_2020-9-25_23-22-19.jpeg

4. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

She will also need one of these:
    upload_2020-9-25_23-24-32.jpeg

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

What’s the basic boogie pattern at open e?

thunderbyrd likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

i lent her one of my danelectros to get started with. later on, i might lend her a strat if it seems like she's serious about it.

Bluesboy3 likes this.
  7. thunderbyrd

come over to my house and i'll show you. you have to bring the party favors and potations.

Greggorios and 8barlouie like this.
  8. Country Guitarist

Country Guitarist TDPRI Member

Here’s my two cents.

What you’ve showed her so far is great but show her how it relates to a song. Pick a song she likes and try to incorporate the lesson into a song she likes. Like how a C chord functions as the one chord in the key of C but how it also functions as a four chord in the key of G.

If she starts to hear and understand the difference there and relates everything to the Nashville number system or in traditional theory to Roman numerals for chords, the sky is the limit.

If she’s a great singer then she’s off to a better start then 99% of us. She’ll quickly hear and recognize the difference of a C chord in the key of C then G major. It’s just getting it down to memory the textile difference of them.

Keep showing her different things but relate the sound to theory so she can piece together what she’s hearing in her head to music to quickly jot her thoughts down.

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Get her a capo and work with her to pick some simple songs she likes. Then she can work on strum patterns while singing, and hammer on individual notes in open chords for accents and interest. a singer who can do that, in good time, is ready to play on stage.

10. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I'll add some things:

*Teach her about standard tuning/how to tune a guitar.
    *Show her the note names of the open strings in standard tuning.
    *Have her play the major scale on the sixth string ascending and descending (WWhWWWh) so she can hear the intervals of the scale and get a sense of the musical distances across one string.
    *Explain to her that musical scales are collections of notes that musicians over time have glommed together because those particular notes sound good together/create a mood. Major vs Minor.
    *Alternate picking

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    thunderbyrd likes this.
  11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

jam with her.

12. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

She needs to apply what you've shown her to songs.
    Time to play some songs (as others have already mentioned).
    No more theory 'til she can play 20 songs.

............ then you can show her the major and minor scales.

elihu and RadioFM74 like this.
  13. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Practice, Practice , Practice !!!

Ain't no substitute...

14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Like you said, you can get a long ways with 3 chords. One thing about funk/rock rhythm playing is that you just gotta GET LOOSE and get over your shyness. You're trying to move your hand in a way across the strings that will make people want to dance. In the getting started phase I'd limit single note stuff to little fills, bass lines, riffs.

ndcaster and thunderbyrd like this.
  15. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Teach her how to tune that mother.

rangercaster, thunderbyrd and Deeve like this.
  16. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

She wants to play a song. Show her a song. Never mind major scales blah blah blah. Play a song, not a scale. Not everybody wants to go to Berklee.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

#1 – as others said: songs… best way to learn chords (KEY), rhythm patterns, little riffs. Would be nice to use an acoustic and sing for herself while doing it. Any song she likes!
    #2 – a little routine for the basic skills (no more than 10' a day): warm-up (a chromatic scale up the neck, slow and clean), time (this exercise: ) while doing the major scale. Maybe some rhythm patterns. "Lord let my quarter notes be even today"!

For soloing skills, when time comes: what music does she like, and what is she aspiring to play? Country, Jazz, Blues all have their foundational skills you have to develop – and they're different.

EDIT: yes, I know the Chirillo exercise looks terrifyingly boring. But tell her she just has to do it 2 minutes per day. The rewards are huge. Time/Rhythm feel is the most essential skill for the aspiring musician of ANY level. I'm doing that every day, and if I go without for a week or so it messes my rhythm.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

All good advice here.

Buy her a decent inexpensive metronome, and show her how to use it when practicing strumming and playing little fills and riffs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002E2YMG/

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LFCXL8/

Digital metronomes with LCD screens and air conditioning are flimsy and do not last. These two are bombproof and the batteries last forever.

oldfish and thunderbyrd like this.
  19. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Guitar face repertoire....

P Thought, thunderbyrd and spurgie79 like this.
  20. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How do you explain that to your daughter-in-law without incurring the wrath of either your wife or son? :confused::D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    rangercaster and thunderbyrd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.