Gotta throw in the obligatory Joe’s photo op: View attachment 934850

And... the obligatory yngwie collection shots

BF13965C-F3DB-4B4E-992F-4B212D3C718E.jpeg
06AC4AB1-A874-4407-84FC-3A8D249B055D.jpeg
E90E15E8-89A0-42C8-B2BE-F89389591D76.jpeg
DCEF9296-EDA7-4D17-9EA5-8690791B10C8.jpeg

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
This is a fascinating topic to consider. When I was a saxophone player, I had one sax and never considered buying another. I did upgrade once but I traded in my old sax on my new one and wouldn't have thought about keeping the old one. Having said that, I realize that different guitars have different jobs and I have several guitars myself and have a list of several more that I may add to the stable some day.

Rick Nielsen loves guitars. They payed all his bills and made him rich (or, his playing of them did). Would he be happier with a million dollars worth of guitars and ten million dollars (or a hundred million) or with eleven (101) million dollars? I think the answer is pretty clear.

Leno has a zillion dollars worth of cars and no one thinks that's weird. But I will say that the picture of Malmsteen with like 25 copies of the exact same Strat IS weird to me.

However, I do think there are pathological collectors of all sorts of things. I think there are people who buy guitars (and amps and pedals and courses) who think that this will somehow improve their playing. Buying stuff is a helluva lot easier than putting in thousands of hours of work to reach mastery.

I have a son who has an insane number of board games. It's his "thing". He makes good money and provides well for his family so I don't think there's anything wrong with his game collection. He makes a little on the side from buying unrecognized rare/collectible games and flipping them for a profit.

I have another son who wants to be like his big brother but doesn't have nearly as much disposable income. He buys the wrong games for too much money that he doesn't have to spend. His "collection" causes me to despair because he doesn't have the money to be spending on stuff like that when he has trouble making rent some months (ask me how I know).

So, I think the number is different for everyone. I'm getting ready to retire within the next few years and probably won't get to everything on my guitar list before I do but I set a hard limit of ten six-string electrics when I started playing so I'll likely get to that number before I pull the trigger on leaving my job.

That's my loose collection of random thoughts on guitar collecting. Sorry for the "stream of consciousness" format.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I got back a couple of guitars I had loaned out long-term, so now I am back up to 11 (or is it 12?). Plus there are a couple more around the house that I gave to my son but he keeps here. Might sell one (of mine), or maybe give it away. Don't really need this many, as I am playing more sax these days than teles.

But hard to let go of a guitar sometimes.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
[/ATTACH]
4D60CD05-4933-4E46-B389-E04098AE377C.jpeg
86CC41F2-14AD-46A1-A4FB-8EE839C66BAD.jpeg
5357E941-344F-4BC0-803A-287AB3445265.jpeg
27312A59-E9F8-42EF-B30E-346A39455AB4.jpeg
EC972CC9-1DA8-4FAF-916B-546322C5A0EC.jpeg
5A64D9ED-E78E-4ECB-858C-20AF5F79E774.jpeg
5856FC94-DCB3-4CDA-89A3-F66216224BFA.jpeg
I have 60 instruments including 3 mandolins, 2 bass guitars, 1 lap steel, and a uke. I buy and sell all the time. If I don’t play it I don’t keep it. I live by myself so that’s a plus. I have no other hobby’s, have owned 6 cars in the last 40 years all bought new, sub compacts, all drove for years. I retired early and haven’t any debt. When my family and friends give me sh#$ about it I tell them it’s my GMC Denali that I never bought.

Last edited:

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My wife knows how many guitars I have and where all my gear is (our bedroom) and she has never had a problem with it. :cool:
To anyone else that asks, I say they are medically necessary for my sanity. They keep me from doing unspeakable things :lol::lol::lol:

lowatter

Tele-Holic
Sadly I will never achieve my "cream my jeans" collection. I will say however that I would rather have very few "quality brand" named guitars than a bunch of "cheap" knock-off guitars.
I spent the afternoon watching Rick's video a little here and there and really enjoyed it. He's a great guitarist, seems like a guy I'd love to have a beer with and obviously avid collector. More power to him and I wished I was his nephew or similar.

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Billy gibbons has well over 500 he didnt know for sure they were spread out over different storage areas .

Yeah, I think it is a great idea to have multiple places to store them. You don't want a fire or tornado to wipe out everything you have.

Some days I mess around, trying to decide what to play and then only have time to play for 20 minutes. That's the "unwisdom" about it, I'd say.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My wife knows how many guitars I have and where all my gear is (our bedroom) and she has never had a problem with it. :cool:
To anyone else that asks, I say they are medically necessary for my sanity. They keep me from doing unspeakable things :lol::lol::lol:

I hear that.

I know people who for sure, have spent more money on shrinks and counseling, than I've spent on guitars. If you use that metric, the idea that each is an "Emotional Support Animal", then all the pieces fall into place and all is right in the world.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
[/ATTACH] View attachment 934894 View attachment 934895 View attachment 934896 View attachment 934897 View attachment 934898 View attachment 934899 View attachment 934900 I have 60 instruments including 3 mandolins, 2 bass guitars, 1 lap steel, and a uke. I buy and sell all the time. If I don’t play it I don’t keep it. I live by myself so that’s a plus. I have no other hobby’s, have owned 6 cars in the last 40 years all bought new, sub compacts, all drove for years. I retired early and haven’t any debt. When my family and friends give me sh#$ about it I tell them it’s my GMC Denali that I never bought.

there is a serious issue here none of these are lefties , take them all back to the store and get the correct guitars!

xjazzy

Friend of Leo's
There was a time where I thought I had to have all the different kinds of guitars. Various LPs, Teles, strats, etc.
Now I know what I like and what I need. 4 electric guitars are more than enough for me and I have no desire to become a collector.
If I had the money I'd probably have a few more but mostly, it would allow me to try more guitars and find better ones. Not that I don't like mine but I'm pretty sure that are better examples of my favorite models out there.