1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

You think scales are going to gte you through? Ha!

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Telenator, Nov 26, 2020.

1. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

That's a nice technique demo, but it doesn't seem like anything I would ever want to do, as far as making music.

2. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's right, they are not. Knowing how to read, write, or spell never inhibited someone's ability to speak.

3. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

SRHmusic and Telenator like this.
  4. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Ugh

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

So having a huge guitar scale vocabulary doesn’t inhibit your ability to play lead guitar.

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'm an old guy going bald, so I tend to play my guitar using the Minoxidilydian Scale.

1, 2, 3, 4.......

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

Blue Bill likes this.
  7. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Definitely not

rough eye likes this.
  8. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, it challenges the listener. It's the kind of music that lends itself to an internal questioning where the sensation of abstract sounds are posed to a listener as a question, "Are you glad to be in America?", where the listener has to reconcile those two things. It's not a passive experience where the music resolves to the familiar, like the tonic of a key. There might not be a recognizable key. There's no recognizable key to the sounds of city traffic, for example, but sensitive people interpret city traffic aesthetically, as a kind of music, all the time. At least that's how I experience it. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I saw Gutherie at the crossroads at midnight, he pushed in, that should be me!

boneyguy and telemnemonics like this.
  10. rough eye

rough eye Tele-Meister

there's always lots of discrimination on both sides. guys who speak properly and have a large vocabulary will find others turning their noses up at them or labeling them as some sort of priss, while others who speak like they're from the streets will be turned away from a fine restaurant or won't be able to get a salesperson to speak with them at a car dealership. so we adapt; learn to say "ain't" and slur words a little bit. but music is the ONE PLACE where we should be free to express who we are. if you think my Maj7#11 is too ethereal don't listen; if you feel my blues lick is too rudimentary kiss my ass.

i hope no one here is on either side of that argument. i fear that's not the case.

telemnemonics, E5RSY, matrix and 3 others like this.
  11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

At first I thought your statement was a bit outrageous but I thought, okay, I'll go back and listen again and now I'm kinda inclined to agree with you. I didn't re-listen to the whole thing again but here's how I would describe what I'm hearing. For a lot of the soloing he's referencing from minor pent. particularly when he slows down and gets funky which is quite often. Now, he's not playing straight up min. pent. very often but I can clearly here that he's referencing out of that scale and adding some twists and turns. He's then sewing together those min. pent. type sections with diminished and chromatic type sounds with some just straight up guitar-centric type 'tricks' so to speak. Now, I like it a lot. I dig what he's doing but I clearly hear him thinking out of scale references but in a creative and very playful way.

superjam144 likes this.
  12. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I was right, wouldn't care if I was wrong. I am familiar with players who are based in the pentatonic/blues scales. Even Buckethead and Eric Johnson sometimes gravitate towards being centrally inside of that zone, coming in and out of it as well for flare.

Johnson is well known to use it in a new and inspiring way, for him, knowledge is power.

The "modes" are fascinating to me... On paper it looks like there is nothing new here, but they can alter the sounds you are getting drastically. I'm working on delving into them some more..

I've been trying to delve into jazz and classical more recently to help develop as a musician. But the jazz has been terribly hard for me to enjoy... All those off tones really add up to a disdain for me. Yet I have heard it done in a tasteful manner by several players, just unable to grasp how they make it sound good. It is in the way the chords and voicings compliment each other I imagine. Voice leading I guess.

This Govan guy has the skill of EVH, and a lot of musical knowledge. I've heard his name dropped quite often, and he seems like he might be next in line to take guitar music to a new level.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Until he writes a hit he will just be another amazing player that only guitar geeks care about. EVH wrote Jump! and many other huge hits.

Blue Bill and MilwMark like this.
  14. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I would say without a doubt that Govan's skill level is far beyond EVH's. And he's not new on the scene...Govan has been around for a while so I wouldn't even really put him in with the 'new guard' so to speak. It's not the sort of music I am drawn toward listening to but when I do listen to Govan, meaning a YT vid, I really dig his musical humour, playfulness and mastery....it's all quite effortless. And most importantly I find him very musical too.

For someone who might be considered the 'new guard' in guitar wizardry I would look to someone like Matteo Mancuso...a kid from Palermo, Italy who is mind blowing!

superjam144 and ASATKat like this.
  15. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Playful — I forgot to mention that aspect. I always like that in a soloing musician (Roy Clark is another notable 'jokester' on guitar).

But back to Govan's techincal skills... I was just reading about him, and not only can he pre-visualize and play those dazzling solos, he readily transcribes them into music notation. o_O Lots of people can do that, but it would probably take me a month or longer. :(

boneyguy likes this.
  16. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Govan is interested in things like sound, contour, intervals, timing.

Scales are just a sound.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How in the world would one “measure” that? If it even mattered.

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

There’s other stuff mixed into it. But that’s definitely majority based in the minor pentatonic. It’s the foundation that whole piece is built on. And there’s not a thing wrong with that.

MilwMark and boneyguy like this.
  19. superjam144

Ok, so I listened to his album, "Erotic Cakes".

Mind Blown. VERY similar to Buckethead. Unbelievable. I thought Buckethead was unreachable.

modes-major-scale.jpg

And these modes, he is able to use effortlessly, weaving an intricate web of notes... Amazing stuff. I was quick to dismiss the video. This guy is the real thing.

jman72, Blue Bill, P Thought and 2 others like this.
  20. superjam144

Hehe, guess I'm a fanboy now too. :p

I still think that Buckethead has this guy by a thread though. Same league.

Telenator likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.