You really do want to keep your hands away from your face.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 27, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

After eating a batch of chili peppers! Once in a while, I forget to wash my hands AFTER I eat, and if I've been in those chili peppers again, man it smarts when you get that stuff in your eyes. I started eating those things when I was a kid, because lots of my friends were Mexicans, they all loved them. I eat 'em with everything. I don't buy anything fancy, just chili peppers, usually Mezzetta cause they're cheap! I never got further than just plain old pickled green chilis, lots of guys go for the really hot stuff, but I can eat the green chilis like eating raisins. Do you like chili peppers?

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

And sometimes , you wanna wash your hands before you go to the bathroom...

Trust me...;)

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can’t tolerate em’ anymore.
    I used to love pickled jalapeños.
    I remember once answering the call of nature after eating some, and not heeding the aforementioned hygienic advice.
    Yikes!
    I’ll never make that mistake again!

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  4. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, like you I grew up here. We lived in South Central in a new housing track That was built in 1954. Most of my friends were Mexican, some Black, and Asian. All their mothers cooked dinner and they knew my mother had passed away so they were very generous about having me over for dinner. Nothing special, I ate what they ate.
    Chili’s were part of the meal and I loved them. All the way though my 30’s they eaten by the bushel full.
    Somewhere along the line I got to where I couldn’t digest them very well and had to give them up. Occasionally I will still sneak in a couple when I’m feeling up to it, and I usually pay a price for it.
    Sometimes now I have my daughter make me homemade Tortillas, with retried beans and rice to satisfy my cravings.
    It’s not nearly as good as my friends mothers use to make, but it’s better than nothing.
    You’re right about things like wiping sweat from your eyes before you wash your hands, that something you won’t forget to much, or using the bathroom toon either.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

How can I keep my hands away from my face when my finger spends so much of its time in my nose.

7. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Been there, done that.

A few months back, I took The Boy out for dinner at a taco place. They had habanero salsa for chips. It was good, but hot. I put some on my taco - and it was good, but hot. Then, a few more bites in, when I started to chew, a tomato or a pepper or something squirted - right into my wind pipe. I am coughing and choking, and The Boy asks if I need some water. Yeah, since I cannot inhale it, that would not have done much good. I was just stuck coughing for the next 10 minutes, then burning for the next hour.

I've never had that happen before.

Brett Valentine and nojazzhere like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh yeah chili pepper burns suck and I find once it soaks into my fingers it doesn’t even wash off, so I can still burn my eyes if I touch them after chopping chilies.

In other news, I’m bringing a new line of products to market soon based on the selfie stick that make it possible to eat and talk on the phone while keeping you hands away from your face!
    Don’t tell anyone before I get my patent approved, m’kay?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

At one of the big sign companies I used to work at, there was a Vietnamese co-worker who was always trying to get me to try one of his Asian peppers. Now, I like "hot", but some of these are deadly. One evening, he talked me into biting into one, and I just bit down, and some of the juice squirted into my mouth. I started tearing up, and reflexively went to wipe my eye.....BIG MISTAKE! I had some juice on my fingers, and wiped it into my eye. Luckily, we had eye-wash stations all over the plant, and I made use of one for about half an hour. My poor eye was sensitive and red for several days.
    I've recently discovered Chohula brand green Jalapeno and Poblano Hot Sauce. Mmmmmmm! That's some GOOD stuff. ;)

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra TDPRI Member

Mucho gusto!

Brett Valentine and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Been there, done that! Not a very pleasant experience.

12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I recently had a patient who was hospitalized for Salmonella colitis. His story was that he was handling snakes without gloves. I looked it up-yeah, you can get it like that but only after touching the snake then touching your mouth! So for all you snake handling people please wash your hands when finished.

:confused:

Mike Eskimo and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yep, I love ‘em and yes to washing your hands. One time I wished I’d scrubbed my fingernails, too! And if you wear contacts like I used too, watch out.

I was raised on pretty basic small town food and don’t remember really getting into hot peppers until I moved to Albuquerque in ‘73. I just loved the Mexican food from the food trucks and the drug store downtown. You could get a green chile burrito from a truck that was maybe 50 cents that was simply great. I worked with an all-Mexican painting crew and some of those men ate serious heat. One guy ate pickled chiles his wife made and he gave me one. It was probably the hottest I’ve ever encountered and I don’t think I even swallowed it. I was amazed he ate those things as if they were sweet pickles.

Years later I was at Joe Jost’s in Long Beach just shooting pool with my friend “Stretch”. We’d drink mugs of ice cold Coors and eat the pickled eggs they served in a bed of pretzel sticks & little yellow peppers. I’d done it several times but that night one of those peppers must have thought it would show me who’s boss. I knew I was in trouble right after chewing and swallowing it as the intense lip & mouth burn lasted and lasted. It then turned my body into a heat engine, and I started sweating so profusely that I had to wipe my forehead before every pool shot so I could see. It lasted for two hours and no amount of cold beer or water made a difference. It didn’t give me indigestion but not sure I would have noticed anyway!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Love me some chiles, so I grow my own. No matter how many times you’ve handled or chopped chiles, you’ll still forget every now and then. Rubbing your eye is definitely the worst, with taking a leak a close second.

I grow in a harsh microclimate, so my plants sometimes produce undersized mutant ninja peppers. I pick those off and munch them while playing in the garden. Most of these are green chile varieties, so they are mild. But every now and then one of them will surprise me.

Anything from serrano on up the Scoville scale, you’d better be on guard with those fingers!

15. Toto'sDad

There's more than one kind of hot tamale!

16. Toto'sDad

I had a buddy named Jaime that I loved having the opportunity to eat dinner with his family! They made fresh tortillas for every meal, the girls would fashion them then cook them on a little griddle, they were the best. They had a little stone bowl that had a piece of stone to grind peppers, they throw in a little green sauce and make chili for the burritos, man that stuff would scald, but it was all good!

17. Toto'sDad

You can't get in no hurry when it comes to chilis!

18. Toto'sDad

Sound advice, but I sincerely avoid handling snakes, but it's good to know now I have an excuse.

19. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, theres a third.
    Wife quote: "do NOT ever do that again".....

20. Toto'sDad

Boy them sleepers can get you! Those out of a pickled egg jar are the worst. Man, those were good old days when you could drink all day for very little cash, and shoot pool until your feet were worn out. I still think my age group and those around it got the best cut off the deck time wise.

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.