1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

You might not have heard this said before

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Feb 26, 2021.

1. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

My wife and I were watching an old episode of Starsky & Hutch (there’s a lockdown, after all). There was a scene with a country band playing, and I began to feel something wasn’t quite right. Not so much that the bad guy looked like he was up to no good, the singer should keep an eye on him... Then it dawned on me and I said to my wife, “That’s a shame, somebody’s turned the banjo player right down in the mix.”

Tbf I could also have said “Where’s the piano music coming from?”

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I know, right?

We watch TV, and see some band in the background. The guitar player has a Strat into a Twin. I listen to the sound, and say "Hey! That is a Les Paul and a Marshall!"

Deer in the headlights look comes my way.

3. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

There’s so much wrong with this picture.

4. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just did that on a much smaller scale. I had two band members out for several weeks. On the videos we made at that time I added two or three guitar parts in the post production mix. So there I am the only guitar player to be seen and all these guitar parts are bouncing around. My guess is that beside band members the number of viewers who noticed the one guy playing multiple guitars was very few.

offsideref likes this.
  5. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Whoever pushed that banjo down in the mix is a fine humanitarian. Unsung hero.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

We've had a feast of great movies over the last year. All designed to keep us home. Tonight , in my state, you can go to the local, have a beer AND dance with somebody.

Toto'sDad, Torren61 and offsideref like this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wonder if the actors who portray musicians are required to use the back door & service elevator like real musicians are.

8. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

That’s good. The state I’m in, it’s hard to get out of bed some mornings.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Tonetele likes this.
  9. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

:lol::lol::lol:

10. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Sorry tonetele, I thought of a better response 10 minutes too late, just like in “real life”!

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If I'm ever put in charge of music scenes in films and TV, I PROMISE any actor shown with an instrument will have a passing familiarity with that instrument. It ruins a show for me when I see someone who has no clue how to play something. And double that reaction when it involves an ensemble conductor. These yahoos think they're just waving their arms around, with no rhyme or reason.
    They should just be shot! ;););)

12. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Another option would be to say "...that banjo player's command of his instrument is incredible! He can make sound just like a piano!"

offsideref likes this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Rock or country video, most of the viewers, including guitarists, are focused on the chicks and the tighter their clothes, the greater the focus.

offsideref likes this.
  14. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

In a military electronics tech school around 1974 a teacher noted that the prop they used to portray sub display/monitoring gear (sonar probably) on the “inside the submarine” set of a recent TV series “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea”, was in reality just standard issue military oscilloscopes. The US military commonly used them for general purpose signal checking, and we had them on hand in the course for our learning.

And I vaguely remember a scene from old movie or TV show where some guy was bragging about the “Boss 454” (mashup of a Ford name and Chevy engine displacement that made motorheads cringe) in his car.

Show biz slop that only insiders catch.

offsideref likes this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We need more cowbell...

offsideref likes this.
  16. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

:lol::lol::lol: Two birds with one stone, wish I’d thought of that!

17. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Yes we do. The drummer in my daughter’s friend’s band went on holiday and while he was away they got a glockenspiel from somewhere and added that to their gigging kit. When he came back, he slotted back in, but they kept the glockenspiel as well, for when the audience gave a shout out for it.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have recently admitted to an infatuation with 24, the reason I can watch that is because it's basically fantasy, and I know that the gun handling, and car chasing etc. is basically a comedy routine mixed in with the drama. When it comes to watching something that is actually supposed to be serious, when they make mistakes in the movie like taking cover behind a thin sheet metal vehicle while someone is shooting at them with fully automatic weapons that will penetrate quarter inch or greater metal plate, it destroys the illusion, and I lose interest in the movie.

An example of comedy in 24 was Jack and his family are being shot at by three bad guys from a distance of less than 20 yards, one of which is carrying an old 30 cal. semi-auto weapon, the rest have what appear to be .223 caliber full auto weapons, and they are all shooting at the van. No one is the van is harmed even though the windows are all shot out of van. No way around it, that's comedy like a keystone cops chase scene.

19. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

:lol: You’d be surprised what we get up to in lockdown. Why, the other day we listened to the wireless for the first time since who knows when. It was good, too, your algorithm-driven streaming services can’t beat an actual person for putting together a good radio show.

Martian and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

No, but they're just doing it for the exposure anyways...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.