1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

You know you're "old" when (GOML content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by moosie, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I walked into a LARGE antique store with my son-in-law one day, that he frequents for vinyl. As we're looking around I started commenting on all the different stuff. He's talking to a sales gal (she was short and I couldn't see her behind the stacked orange-crates they display their vinyl in), and as I'm commenting on a Victrola (and setting it up to play), I turn and they're both staring at me. First she says "You seem to know more about the stock here than the owner", followed by "That doesn't play, it has no needles". She says this as I've just retrieved the small manilla envelope of needles from their cubby inside the storage area (there are two envelopes). I blow the dust off the record on the platter, install the needle and start playing the thing, as she's taking off the price on the Victrola (to raise the price, as it's now working), she says: "You must really be into vintage stuff", I'm laughing because I'm not, I tell her I just happened to be alive when a lot of that stuff was still in use (I'm 52). She asked me about a couple of other things (singer sewing machine with a broken belt, and a few Hohner harmonicas that they had priced as vintage, that were actually just a few years old). I didn't really feel old that day, just surprised that antique store employees could be so clueless. All the info I offered is probably just a quick Google search away from the same answers.

When I felt old, was when my son-in-law told me they requested I come back, as usually they've been paying people for that kind of advice, and it was nice someone "my age" offered up the info voluntarily. I was suspicious as he was pausing as he was phrasing the sentence, so I asked him how they really asked. He looked at the floor, hesitated, and said: "Could you have that old man come back and look at some more of our stuff for free?"

You know, when I was 25, I didn't think of someone twice my age as old, I thought of them as more adult than me. Someone three times my age... maybe yes.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I also take a 5000 mcg biotin pill 2x daily. My natural fingerpicking nails are as strong as, well.... nails.

I get enough strange looks with my three sharpened-to-a-point nails, on just the one hand. I don't need fake ones on there as well.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

first time I heard about a lid .. was here....:lol::

no, it's not about bike helmets....:rolleyes:

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the kids at school call me.. Old grey beard man.... I consider it a term of endearment....:lol:

5. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My girlfriend who was 42 when I was 21 now would be 88. We listened to Procul Harum and Jefferson Airplane a lot.

My early '80s girlfriend is 70. She liked The Cure and XTC.

I am older than our lead singer's mother by about seven years. Our singer likes singing Adele tunes.

6. Elkhorn

Elkhorn Tele-Meister

I think the first time I felt old was when I read the Top 20 list and realized that I didn't recognize a single artist/band name.

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

...when your 6 year old Son (at the time) pulls out an LP / Vinyl album, and asks if he can "put a big CD on..."

At least it was Led Zep I....

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I remember The Beatles touring my city. Apparently their most frenetic welcome.

Roy Orbison was my hero and drove me to play guitar with "Pretty Woman".

Also saw Creedence and the Eagles first tours of Australia. I feel old writing this.

9. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"You're just the kind of man I always wanted to marry," she said, pausing slightly, "my mother. You would have been a wonderful stepfather."

I was 43, she was 25. I bit my lip to keep from crying.

10. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I've never thought about being old until a few years ago when on Anzac Day 25th April I was playing a solo gig in a bar and every Anzac Day I would do 'And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda' for the really old veterans and I would also do 'I Was Only Nineteen' for our Vietnam Vets. Now I'm around the same age as some of the Vietnam Vets but obviously I must look older because one Vietnam Vet came up afterwards and asked which war I served in, and was quite upset when I told him my only active service was in the queue in the cookhouse for meals. I served 9 years in the British Army and I guess it was around that time that the British didn't pick any fights with other countries. I've always reckoned my face was secondhand when I got it cos I've got more wrinkles than crosslines on a railroad track.. S:D

11. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

When you remember that for 25 cents you could buy a Coke, a bag of chips, an ice cream treat and you still had some money left in your pocket for bubble gum...

12. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

OUCH! We have a winner!

Well, I am a university lecturer... each year, students appear to be getting younger and younger.
    This year was particularly depressing because I realised most of my students were born when I was doing my degree.

13. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I saw the Eagles open for Yes.
    Just googled it up. It was August 15, 1972. What a strange combination.
    Yes was touring on Close To The Edge, and the Eagles on their 1st album, The Eagles.
    We didn't know who The Eagles were and asked questions like "A Banjo?"
    Of course the Orange Barrels made everything way more memorable...

We weren't supposed to get this old. How did this happen? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Based on that criteria, I've been there for decades & could care less about such things.
    For myself, lately it's been the baby faced kids playing professional sports...I swear some of them don't even shave, yet!

15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I'll turn 66 this year. And I'm not even embarrassed to fart in public anymore. So there.

16. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I also get compliments on my grandchildren. Who are really my children. I'll take the compliments, though.

17. rickwxi

rickwxi TDPRI Member

When I used to play with bands on the road and clubs we played stuff by the popular artist of the time, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Glen Campbell, The Ventures, Credence clear water revival, you get the picture of the 1970s. That's when I took up finger style, and started learning songs by Chet Atkins, Merle Travis. Now, younger folks don't know who they are! I have now started learning and play a lot of Tommy Emmanuel stuff. Well, being 75 makes me think I might be getting old! Still like By The Time I get to Phoenix; Suzy Q; Windy and Warm and Dixie McGuire! you get the picture. NOTE: THE DAY THE FINGER PICKERS TOOK OVER THE WORLD.........

18. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks to my wife!:rolleyes: About 4 weeks ago she says, "you know...you are the oldest man that I have ever been with." (Jeesh):oops: I had to use the response that came the most naturally; "Yes hon, and you are the oldest woman that I have ever been with.":eek:

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not necessarily.

Google is good with some things from the past, but clearly not everything. When we consider that most would be contributors know about what the short employee knew, and a lot of other would be contributors keep the knowledge they have in their heads, as a possible future stock in trade, sometimes the answers are just not there. What is available through the internet is amazing but what is not available through it is even more disturbing.

+

Anyway, I just wanna say I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. See, my mind is just a little more shot to pieces than my body, so my mind thinks everything with me is great. See, how that works? So long as you don't ask anyone else (like a young doctor) what their opinion is, you've got the world by a string. ;)

20. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Thanks!

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.