you know.. you know.. you know... you know...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Aug 2, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When I was driving bus loads of high school kids around the region for sporting events, debate, theatre, etc., they would drive you nuts with the misuse and frequency of the word 'like', especially the girls. I would count how many times they'd say 'like' in damn near every sentence. Three and four times in a sentence was common.

The really depressing thing about those trips wasn't just the kids saying it, but their teachers and coaches were also infected with it, no doubt just from being around the kids so much, and none of them were consciously aware of it.

"Like, my mom would, like, say stuff, like, when are you going to, like, clean your room".

I used to stuff napkin wads in my ears while driving to escape having to listen to them.

verb boten, howardlo and rze99 like this.
  2. meric

meric Tele-Holic

...let me unpack what he said for you...

verb boten and RetroTeleRod like this.
  3. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I found some people when they speak get all jumpy and excited and tend to use these filler words to help keep the vocal train moving. 9 out of 10 they don't realize they're doing it and have gotten into a bad habit of doing so.

Also conversational silence really bothers some people, so again these filler words come out because in some people's eyes, inane chatter is better than nothing at all.

It definitely takes some effort and self-awareness to quell the habit.

verb boten and Owenmoney like this.
  4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I hate conference calls in general. Especially that jerk at the end that has 20 questions when the rest of us paid attention. Every company has one...you know. (Couldn't resist)

Bassman8, fendertx and trapdoor2 like this.
  5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Now that could lead to a "teachable moment". :lol:

6. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

7. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

thanks for "reaching out" ...

Shuster and Flakey like this.
  8. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

"I'll have to circle back to you on that"

9. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Can we put this in the parking lot? I don't have the bandwidth to discuss it right now.

jackinjax likes this.
  10. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Right?!

I also hate that response. :D

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A "Client Engagement Manager"? You've got more problems to think about than the guy saying, "you know, you know, you know".

Flakey, Jim603, dkmw and 3 others like this.
  12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

You could be like me and refuse to use filler. Which means...I speak...in pauses...if I...have...to think...about...what I'm saying. Like many, I have a 'lecture mode' too. Unfortunately, the lack of filler noise in 'pause mode' means Miz Diane sees it as an opportunity to fill that space with an entirely different conversation, presumably an offshoot of the one she is having in her head while she is ignoring whatever I was talking about. "Ben wore a plaid shirt yesterday, just like Peter. They looked like twins!" What?

There is a guy here at work that seems to prefer "I was sittin' there" as filler. "We were swimming in the pond and I was sittin' there thinkin'..." "John and I were walking out to the car and I was sittin' there going..."

There for a while, I would ask him what he was sittin' on. "What?" "You said you were sitting. What were you sitting on while you were swimming/walking?" "What?!?"

I told him about his overuse of the phrase, etc. Totally ignored me. Still uses it.

13. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That effn parking lot!!!!

A little self awareness and pre-meeting bullet points goes a long way to speaking better. It's easier to speak to groups with practice, but you have to be aware of you conversational crutches. I was lucky enough to have a manager that gave me constructive criticism and I have gotten better speaking to groups.

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

15. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Some people add "started" to every verb they were going to use. That turns the verb to not a verb, you start knowing? Only use started if you started your car.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

When I worked in NYC, a colleague's favorite filler phrase, which he seemed to use in about every 4th sentence when he was trying to explain something in a meeting, was "if you will". I don't think he realized how often he used it but it drove me nuts.

My other least favorite expression is "long story short".

17. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Not my company. At my company, that guy derails a simple meeting to go off on whatever thing he thinks we should be doing that (in his opinion) we do not do. Thus never getting to the point of the meeting. Which means no actual discussion or decisions get made.

As for "you know", Bill Withers said "I know". BTO said "you know" but you ain't heard nothin' yet.

While I didn't like it much at the time, I'm rather glad that my degree required a speech class. Our speeches got taped and critiqued.

I can barely listen to most interviewees on the radio any more. They're simply not trained to be mouthpieces for anything.

loco gringo and Owenmoney like this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

It has been researched.

Teen brains have not developed enough skills to process complex speech in real time and the ‘like’ is used to slow the dialogue down so their cognitive processing can catch up. It’s a developmental stage kids go through. The like is a social norm. I do wonder what teens used in previous generations. I bet they had something.

I suppose the teachers were mimicking it.

Flakey likes this.
  19. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Look, with all due respect, it is what it is. To be honest, we're never going to move the needle, if we drink the Kool-aid. The fact of the matter is, going forward, we need to think outside the box and like, push the envelope. So like let's get a paradigm shift into the pipeline, really people.

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I see we have a like button

Shuster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.