1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

You KNOW you have the Right Drummer when

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by String Tree, Mar 7, 2020.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

image.jpeg Played with him tonight and I have played with him many times over the years.
    He is filling in for the weekend.
    Plays like a Spark Plug. Just put him in and start the song. It was great.

He always plays in his stockings, always puts his beer and his water in his shoes for all the years I have known him.

Cheers!

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I know exactly what you mean.

One time many years ago our drummer fell ill before a gig and fortunately we had access to someone who knew the band and some of the tracks and volunteered to step in. He'd never played for us.

The only prep he had was to go through, in conversation, just the starts of the tracks with the approximate pace and feel which he scored.

He was sensational. He just really focused on our movements and eye contact for breaks fills and ends and it was of the most enjoyable gigs I ever did.

I'm envious because currently my band is drummerless and we have no gigs.

Have a great gig!

Fiesta Red, jannodude and String Tree like this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Nothing like playing with a great drummer .

The original drummer in our band was Keith Moon-like , in every way so we had to sack him.

I loved playing with him though.

Couple drummers since can keep time but but there’s so sense of forward momentum or excitement.

4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

We rehearsed with a new drummer on Thursday night. He's a great drummer and had worked through our set list... but a total @rse!

Arrogant, opinionated, talks trash about women (always with sexual references) and at the other end of the political spectrum to me. He's a friend of the other two in the band and us three guitarists get on really well together... but I'm not sure how this is going to end!

EDIT: Just to make it clear... he's not an @rse because of his political views, he's an arse 'cos he doesn't shut up about them. I try and keep my views to myself unless asked... or provoked!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Modman68, nick0, Alamo and 3 others like this.
  5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

..... when they comply with or at least consider your request of how something might best be played to fit the song. Not to squash their personal expression of course, but to at least be in the ballpark of fitting the whole vibe of the tune. We have an excellent drummer but he rarely brings energetic intensity when a song clearly needs it. I was in an all-Beatles band for 8-9 years and that drummer would never listen to Ringo or play anything remotely like him, it was all straight-ahead heavy handed RnR drumming, and that was pretty frustrating. He was darned good though and a great guy. But still ...

6. String Tree

As I had said earlier, the Bass player and I hosted a jam night at this club, once a month, for almost two years.
    His wife became ill so he had to quit.
    Before the Jam band, he and I played together in another band so we know each other pretty well.
    He has has played in a lot of other bands as the bassist and myself have.
    I have played with bassist in other bands as well.

I wanted this guy because I KNEW it would be like changing Spark Plugs and, it was.
    Mr Bass player was pretty darn happy as well.

We(the bass player and I) know each other, we know This Club, we knew it would be a great show without three nights a week of practice.

Our Singer wanted another guy to do it. As it turns out, that drummer and the one we had are very good friends!
    That was interesting for us to find out!
    But not a drop of Animosity between them about playing with us. Whew!

Now we have just found out that the other Drummer has to have Rotator Cuff Surgery and may not be able to play for the rest of the year.
    He was supposed to fill in for us in May.
    The guy we had last night and tonight turned down the gig in May because his wife is scheduled for Surgery the same week as the Gig.

On we go ....

rze99 likes this.
  7. String Tree

That's a tough one.
    I hope you have some gigs coming up so you can see how well he can walk through Fire, so to speak.

If the good from how well you play together cancels out the other stuff, who knows?
    It just might work out.

You should do an audience survey: Ambivilance - Are you For it or, Against it?

rze99 likes this.
  8. String Tree

Even the WHO didn't have enough room for Moon the Loon.

I hope you can find somebody that brings the kind of emotional investment you are looking for.

Bassman8 likes this.
  9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Good drummers are hard to find from past experience i can point out what you don't need
    Watch out for teeth grinding and gurning that is the 1st sign of trouble
    Drummers who think a song is a race to the finish line
    Drummers who once played in a punk band
    Drummers who think the whole track is a drum fill
    Drummers who go topless and think a rehearsal or gig is a workout session at the gym
    The list could go on but it could get offensive

RoyBGood and noname_dragon like this.
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

The drummer knows how to play anything, knows way more about music than you do, is quiet as a mouse, has impeccable taste, and never, ever, ever overplays. I am fortunate to play with a drummer like that.

11. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Haha..... that is my list for a GOOD drummer!

teleman1 and telemnemonics like this.
  12. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Guess you must be a glam rock tribute band?

13. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

I don't understand the premise of this scenario.

*rimshot

14. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When you know he can keep time, hit hard and stay in the pocket. Think Zigaboo Modeliste, Tommy Ardolino, the Big Figure or Jim Keltner.

RJ

15. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I knew I had the right drummer, when he blew our old drummer out of the water, while beating on cardboard boxes.
    The rest of us had to chip in to buy his first kit, and subsidize his every expense for years, but damn, it was worth it.

The drummer he replaced had 4 years of lessons, and the best kit money could buy.. He wasn't horrible, the other guy was just that much better.
    The guy came out of the womb with the god given ability to play ANYTHING verbatim after hearing it once.

telemnemonics and nick0 like this.
  16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The cups are color-coded?

But anyway, I know what you guys mean. Too many bad "drummers". Very few good drummers. Probably more guitarists that think they can drum than real good drummers.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

When they don't play too loudly and Must finish with a ti-ti-boom when all others are silent.

18. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

One of the best drummers i ever played with was a tractor.

jonnyfez likes this.
  19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In our first outing with a new drummer, nerves got to him. Our first song started at something like MM=80, and ended at 110. When I told him to hold it down, he told me that, as the drummer, he was in control of the tempo. Next song had some memory slips in the arrangement. He told me that his job was to inject surprises, as this would keep us on our toes.

But this was very unusual for him, and he never had any performance problems again (2 years). But the search for a good, local player is like looking for a pot of gold.

20. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

You KNOW you have the Right Drummer when...

he shows up with just a snare and brushes.

AlbertoMilanese and Bristlehound like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.