You know what the TDPRI is good for? It's good for making you unhappy with your guitar.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Tell it all brother tell it all.

(you might wanna leave out the part about the gray mule you traded for a strat though) :eek::lol:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m here since March. Asked what I thought was a dumb question about my amplifier and received really valuable advice. Also learned about pick guard static and got advice that solved the problem and is making me a better guitar player. This Forum is A-OK by me.

DHart, P Thought, soulgeezer and 2 others like this.
  3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

That happened to me at first but then there was an internal evolution in my thinking. I posted about a guitar acquisition which I eventually came to hate and the responses were "woo! good score!", "she's a beaut!", etc. and so in order not to disappoint anyone who had initially supported me, I didn't make too big a deal out of it when I sold it a couple months later.

Today my GAS is in remission and I better understand the plusses and minuses of my existing collection. I've changed my rationale for having so many from "I should have one of each basic type because I am such an evolved basement closet studio kinda guy who doesn't play as well as most other people I hear", to "I can't really explain it, don't try to take it away, nyah nyah nyah!!!".

4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Toto, you trollin'? I'm telling your dad.

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I've spent a lot of time and many years on a lot of forums, ranging from firearms, knives, flashlights, to Jeeps, to Strats, music in general, dogs, RVs, motorhomes, trucks, etc. And to a great degree, we are a bunch of enablers, inspiring others with our possessions. I've been inspired to buy and/or customize based on other forum members posts and others have been inspired to buy and/or customize based on my posts. All in all, though... great information is shared and the bottom line is that we LOVE IT, or we wouldn't be doing it! Happy days!

Toto'sDad, awasson and E5RSY like this.
  6. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Every hour is Happy Hour. Or it should be.

Toto'sDad and DHart like this.
  7. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I don't post many things I have/ get here because of what the OP said. It's not just here, it's everywhere. As was said, people suck sometimes. Some people are so unhappy with their own situation, they have to make sure and let you know the life you have, as well as the stuff you own, are POS's that they had and threw out.

Sux, because I have to show my stuff off to guys who play computer racing instead. They think it's awesome! :p

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I like every instrument I own. I like the way they look. I like the way they play. If someone tells me something negative about my purchase it doesn’t change the way I feel about it. My attitude has always been that I buy what I want to buy. I do research online and talk to people to see what their experiences are with the guitar in question. I try to always post a NGD thread to share my joy with others. If they like it, great. If they don’t, oh well. It doesn’t bother me. I figure someone else out there might be considering the same purchase so they can see my pictures, find out what I paid and where I got it. Don’t let anybody rain on your parade.

9. Toto'sDad

What you've described is what it should be. Over the years, I have seen a lot of negative stuff posted about the things people have acquired then posted on the forum. I'd have to say it's not nearly as bad as it once was. There used to be a very strong following for the Squier Vintage Classic Vibe. Almost everything somehow ended up somehow being compared to it. I guess it was a passing fad, I haven't seen very much about them for a long while now.

BTW, I have nothing against the Classic Vibe line, my brother in law brought a cool little Classic Vibe Custom by the other day that he had put the maple neck from another Classic Vibe he has on. It was like a marriage made in heaven! The little Custom is very pretty with it's binding, but I personally found the rosewood capped neck a little thin for my taste, putting the beefier Vibe neck on it, made it perfect! A little added beef, and the neck was just one of those good ones you run across sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

:lol::D:twisted:;):cool::D:lol::lol::lol:
    very tasteful thank you, I love the semi-gloss finish on the natural wood,the brass... oh so tasty

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

I can see you are a man of discerning taste, but I believe the photo doesn't really do the wood justice, because I'm not sure you realized that it's entirely constructed of TONE WOOD! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

awasson and chemobrain like this.
  12. chemobrain

yes I wondered if it is ash (the heavy kind?) I have tastes well beyond my budget but in that I am not alone or dismayed.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Lake Placid Blue

I don’t usually flaunt my wealth, but I happen to own a Squier Classic Vibe 70’s Bass It is amazing. Here’s a photo:
    IMG_0431.JPG
    Darn it. That’s Buddy Dog at Christmas. Here’s the bass photo:
    IMG_2730.JPG
    Nope. That’s a selfie nobody was supposed to see. Let me see.... ah, here it is: IMG_2360.JPG
    Crap, wrong bass. Let me try this one:
    fullsizeoutput_90.jpeg What in the world is the awesome Paul Martin doing here? How about this picture: IMG_2789.JPG Oops, that’s a video. You should really watch that video. It’s pretty cool. Now, back to the search for my bass: Image1533449442.693220.jpg Buddy Dog in Morro Bay?? Ok, now I know who’s behind this. I’m going to have to change my password. Again. Sorry. Here’s the picture I was looking for: IMG_2838.JPG

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Nice bass! And the eleven million dollars worth of dog you are very subtly showing off is super too!

awasson likes this.
  15. Lake Placid Blue

Don’t forget my picture of Paul Martin. fullsizeoutput_90.jpeg He’s playing a Chet Atkins Gibson. And that light system wasn’t cheap!

Toto'sDad and P Thought like this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like all my instruments from my expensive Fenders, guitars I have built, my Taylor acoustic through to my go to living room Spruce top Cort.
    I am stunned by some members collections here and, quite frankly, would be grounds for divorce ( most Aussie women would not tolerate here in Oz) as to their greedy ( not needy) acquisitions. I dislike TDPRI for allowing posting of collections. It's almost bragging rights.
    If I don't like a NGD or NAD so I say nothing.
    I once saw a poster put up a picture of 19 or 20 Telecasters. That says that they haven't found one they really like.

chemobrain and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Speaking of Classic Vibe... I bought a disassembled, body-only, Squier Classic Vibe Mahogany Thinline to build up into a premium Fender Tele. It turns out that this body is every bit as nicely made, or nicer!, as any of my MIA and MIM Tele bodies. I can't speak about the CV neck, because I've never had one, but this body is a gem of a platform to build up a premium quality custom Tele Thinline. The brand new, beautifully-finished, mahogany body cost me all of $200 at Stratosphere. With Fender Nashville Deluxe Rosewood neck, Cavalier Lioness and Huge Lion pickups, and premium electronics... I think I have around $650 into it and it's as nice as any fancy-pants Tele I've ever played.

Toto'sDad and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  18. chemobrain

:lol:this bed is to soft, this bed is to hard , this bed it to narrow ( princess syndrome)this tele is.......:confused:

Tonetele and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  19. 83siennateleguy

83siennateleguy Tele-Meister

Here's the reason people run down your equipment, wether they admit to it or not. 99% of the time it's nothing but Jealousy.

If you have something like a Fender Twin amp or a custom or vintage guitar , they're just mad and jealous and will find any means necessary to put it down.

And 99% of the time those people never played the things that you have.

It's like the guy who can afford a new car or truck and another guy running it down noting how much gas it will use or how high the car insurance will be or whatever. I assure you though that if they could afford to have the things you have, they would have it.

At one time my sister had her own business and for years she was doing great (and I was happy for her naturally) at the time I lived paycheck to paycheck . She enjoyed having extra cash to go multiple times to Atlantic city with friends , but years later she got out of business for herself and didn't have extra cash , so when things were going great for me at that time and I started doing a little gambling all of a sudden that was just wrong.

Unfortunately that's how people are and they're never gonna change. People just have to look like fools and comment on things they hardly know anything about.

My advice is ; and I know it's hard sometimes, but just ignore them and live your life to make you happy not other people. And share those pics and stories because there are guys and gals out there with the same tastes as you and we want to hear what you got to say. The Hell with those other idiots , just keep that guy in the mirror happy !

20. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

That is something to say if you have 20 Telecasters and you haven’t bonded with one in particular. My response might be, try a Strat or an ES 335 or Les Paul and let me know how that works out for you.

Lack of wall space and a small bit of common sense keeps me in line. I suppose if I were a professional guitarist I’d feel fine about purchasing 10’s of guitars but I’m not so I keep it tight. I’ve got a handful of guitars I’ve bought over the years that I really value and unless I see something I really want like an Elite Strat or a good deal on an EJ Strat, I’ll build my own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.