You know what the TDPRI is good for? It's good for making you unhappy with your guitar.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Attached Files:

2. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I remember going mountain biking with a bunch of guys, most of us had $4k+ bikes. They guy with a $300 bike from the mid- 80's schooled us all. It was a good lesson for me to learn, one that I have carried over to guitars and gear.

Obsessed, awasson, E5RSY and 4 others like this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

i think this is my favorite thing ive ever heard you play, and on a lowly little squier too!:)
    very cool man.

MickM, Toto'sDad and getbent like this.
  4. Freewheelin_Bob

Freewheelin_Bob TDPRI Member

Its the internet... none of this is real

Toto'sDad and dallasblues like this.
  5. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thanks to TDPRI, whenever I buy a guitar I order a new set of pickups/pots and saddles. Stock is bad! Before TDPRI, woohoo, a new guitar!!

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

A couple years ago the good folks here helped me to find my Telecaster, which I bought used for $500 and already came with all the upgrades I might desire. I've also learned about some amps and pedals that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I can't remember the last time someone got grief about his gear not being good enough: on the contrary, I see regular threads about cheap gear that its owners enjoy (e.g., $100 Epiphone guitars with P-90s).

I also enjoy reading about life experiences and perspectives that I wouldn't have access to, otherwise.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

I'm sorry to tell you all this...

But other hobbies are the same. Golf, fishing, hunting all come to mind.

There's probably gear forums for that stuff too.

MickM and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Mjark

Thanks - it's just random parts with Nocaster pick ups though. The neck is a Chandler.

heltershelton likes this.
  9. heltershelton

i couldnt tell...the headstock was blurry in the pic. i thought i saw an S for squier on the headstock.
    either way, it sounded great. kinda proves my point about the player being the main ingredient in the equation.

10. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

you can`t roller skate in a buffalo herd

11. Mjark

It's my last name in Fender script

12. ChrisNY

ChrisNY TDPRI Member

In 1989 I was a broke, 19 year old guitar player that was gigging regularly in a classic rock band. The Crate 212 Amp I had died on me, so I went to the local music store with my life savings of $150. They dug out an old, ugly, beat up head and cabinet they had kicking around in the basement that no one wanted. I thought it sounded great so I bought it. All my buddies laughed, shook their heads and asked why I bought that piece of crap. It was a 1963 Fender Bandmaster head and cab.. I still have it. Funny..It's not a piece of crap now.. I stopped listening to people about the gear I use a long time ago.

13. heltershelton

very cool.
    heltercaster3.jpg

Mjark likes this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I never look back or change descisions mid stream , its funny some people are quick to point out flaws rather than support others , i took a fair bit of heat over my chibson ,in various flavors
    but its just a guitar , acheap guitar made into a fine player so for 400.00 CDN who cares , I'm not endorsing it but ,OH the HUMANITY! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

bftfender likes this.
  15. heltershelton

im pretty sure im going to build all my guitars from now on.
    this new tele is becoming my #1, and im a strat dude.
    warmoth makes good stuff.

16. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

You have to just ignore the haters. I like: SS amps, SD Quarter-Pounders, mastery bridges, Glendale parts, locking tuners, ratio tuners, custom string sets, Barden pickups, etc, etc.

17. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

I been here about a year now, I go on daily since retired. I post and read all that I have interest in.
    I see a few rude people here but most even except an old guitarist like myself. Don't take things to heart so much. We all have different guitars and play different music. Off my soapbox now lol.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

When I first came to TDPRI, was mostly unhappy with my gear. I thought it could be or should be better. It looked from reviewing comments about gear on mostly other forums that a few thousand here and there would cure all ills. TDPRI seemed little different. What's happened is this.

Right now I'm happy with my gear. It's pretty much what I had before, so what's different? I thought I knew about setup but what I really knew was how to set a truss rod. I got pretty serious about playing anything I wanted to add as a mod first before buying it. I learned more about how my amp works that I thought I'd ever need to know. I now have the right pickups in my Telecaster and they're set correctly. I put noiseless pickups in my Strat (VN's) that have almost no tonal overlap with the N4's in my Telecaster or with any of my other guitars. I play my amp as much as I play my guitars. I learned to set it not only for each guitar, but in the case of the Strat, differently for single pickups and pickups played together. I have the right strings (for me) on my Gretsch (NYXL) and I learned to set the pickup height to balance them rather than fight a losing battle with the pole pieces. My SG problems were solved by rolling back the volume controls typically 4 to 6.
    You know what the TDPRI is good for? It's NOT for making you unhappy with your guitar. That's for sure.
    What I've found is that TDPRI has helped me get the most from my gear. I'm sure Fender, Gretsch, and Gibson don't want to hear this, but TDPRI has helped me get enough from it that I'm actually pretty satisfied with what I have. I guess I could add a PRS, but I realize that it won't make me a better player and after the honeymoon it would just slip into the rotation with the others. Don't get me wrong. I still like to stop into a good shop and play something interesting. It's like going into a bar and dancing with a few of the pretty girls. I just don't feel like my life will somehow get better if I bring one of them home. I've come to realize that I'm pretty fortunate to have enough... to even have way more than I need... cars, guitars, and other things too. I've really come to appreciate what I have!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

TD, I think you're not wrong about the general dissatisfaction with things, but I don't see direct insults here. Either that, or I so unconsciously brush 'em off that they don't register.

What I do see is a societal shift from 1965 (ya think?). We have so much information at our disposal, yet we know so little. Our idea of 'researching' a new gear purchase is to read reviews left by trolls who never played the thing, and/or watch a video of some guy yammering on, while holding the guitar, waiting until he finally kicks on the distortion, and 'plays' something. We don't "pull the trigger" until we get consensus and validation. And it's not just gear. Should I go on a diet? Get married? Stay in this hotel? Eat in this restaurant? Alexa, Alexa on the wall, who is stupidest of them all...

And crowd consensus being fickle, and more or less random, it shouldn't be surprising that the day you make that $2k purchase, the mood shifts, and you're an idiot.

Now, you could ignore the crowd and just play. But is life worth browsing, er living without the approval of the faceless masses? Only one thing TO do, and thank god for Reverb. Dump that perfectly good guitar, privately thrilled you only took a 35% hit.

In other words, it's not 'get tough or die', it's 'have a little self confidence for chrissakes'.

Oh yeah, mostly tongue in cheek, so ..... :lol::)

20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm actually more happy with my guitars because of the TDPRI as I have learned a lot about how to make guitars play and sound better and how to best utilize amps and pedals. I would have never done a project like turning a Baja into an Albert Collins tribute without the TDPRI. Not just learning from other posts, but getting encouragement along the way to do the project. I have $2k guitars I am happy with and an Esquire that's cobbled together with spare parts that probably isn't worth $200 that I'm happy with. Without TDPRI, I would have a box of spare parts. Yes that knowledge can be found elsewhere, but this is where I hang for guitar related stuff.

viccortes285 and hrstrat57 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.