You know what the TDPRI is good for? It's good for making you unhappy with your guitar.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It finally dawned on me, back when I got my old D-18 Martin back in '65 I never once thought about whether it was a good one or a bad one. I was just happy to have it. Then when I joined the TDPRI back in 2011, I learned to REALLY UNAPPRECIATE any guitar I've owned since.

It's not the fault of the TDPRI, but what the folks here on the various forums have to say about gear. It's rare, maybe to the point of never, that a poster shows off a guitar that at least one member doesn't say it's an outright POS or worse.

I wonder why people would be so quick to point out that when someone has spent as much as a couple of thousand dollars on a piece of gear, that some of us feel compelled to point out just how stupid it was to buy said piece of equipment?

Guess it's just get tough or die at work.

swany, Bruxist, Zaxxon and 13 others like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe I'm fortunate, but I don't think anyone has actually insulted any of my gear here. If anything, unrelated comments have more or less reinforced how I feel about my stuff. Perhaps since I don't own a ton of stuff (four good electrics, one Fender bass, handful of acoustics I rarely talk about, half-a-dozen maps that get used) I have fewer targets to "diss". Seeing everyone else's gear often makes me appreciated mine all the more. If I've said anything insulting about anyone's stuff (unless it REALLY deserved it ;)), I apologize......

3. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I try to keep a sense of perspective about what I see or read here. I'm slow to criticize or put a damper on somebody's NGD posting by saying what a POS
    they bought or paid too much to get.

On a related sort of note, when I attend a Vintage Guitar Show, as much as I'm impressed by what's offered for sale, it makes me appreciate the
    disparate collection of instruments I own.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

I bought an amp last Christmas. Marshall hand wired blah blah blah. I have wanted a Marshall for, I dunno, 30 plus years. My wife generously said to get it. She knew I wanted it something fierce but wouldn’t get it for myself. Sure enough a few said I overpaid and a cork sniffer for thinking I can hear hand wired circuits. Now, I’ll just keep purchases to myself.

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a technique that works pretty well for me: I don't care what others say about my gear... There have been plenty of people who howl over three humbuckers on a Telecaster, the tone-robbing LSR nut, the old beat to hell '73 Twin, and many, many more. There's a reason I post pictures of that stuff, I do it just to annoy the annointed.

6. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

This forum has given me some clarity. It's clear that my life will never be complete until my next acquisition. The last piece of gear I bought, that I lusted over for months or years, is no longer enough.

Zaxxon, 2blue2, Toto'sDad and 4 others like this.
  7. nojazzhere

Me too!!!!....in fact, I rarely attend guitar shows anymore. I just don't have the G.A.S., I don't like paying to park and get in, and I don't like interacting with some of the jerks one encounters.(there, I insulted someone....but it was deserved)

Corethron, Toto'sDad and 4 Cat Slim like this.
  8. nojazzhere

WAIT!....three humbuckers on a Telecaster? I could get behind some insults for that!....oh well, I can't catch EVERYTHING! ;)

Toto'sDad, dsutton24 and Crashbelt like this.
  9. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

I love how, in TDPRI land, four electrics, a "handful" of acoustics, a bass, and half a dozen amps constitute a small gear collection...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I'm happy with all of my guitars. Even the cheap ones.

I don't know whether all of my guitars are happy with me though. :)

cactusrob, Tonetele, Zaxxon and 10 others like this.
  11. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted

There's a lot of reverse discrimination on here. If you buy high end there's someone with a Classic Vibe who'll call you out. If you go low end you'll hear from those with Custom Shop blah, blah, blah. I like cheap guitars. I like expensive guitars. I like new. I like vintage. I just like guitars. Doesn't matter what anyone else says.

12. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

im with you on that.
    many people get their opinions from what they read on the internet and not by actually owning or trying a certain peice of gear.
    ive seen people play squiers better than a lot who have custom shops. does that make the squier a better guitar? no, it just means the player is what makes the tools sound good.
    not caring what others think is a great policy.

13. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

GAS is a helluva thing.
    i cant quit acquiring stuff.

2blue2 and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

People suck. Didn’t you get the memo?

15. Toto'sDad

Another satisfied customer! :D

nojazzhere and troy2003 like this.
  16. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I’ve not noticed much of this, at least when it comes to NGD threads.

awasson likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Lemme see, 'em people, 'em where oh suck, by golly I'm behind on my memos, but right here it is!

18. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    yes and no.....

I've learned a lot myself - not to judge a book by it's cover (Squier) or to always think more money means it's better. I've learned to use my own eyes/hands/ears instead of others all the time. When I see so many opinions on everything I started thinking my opinion is really all that matters.... so it has helped me to love actually what gear I have, even of others don't, I could care less. I think my stuff is the cat's meow! :D

4 Cat Slim likes this.
  19. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

On yet another related note, when you post your NGD message, you can sometimes connect with people who share your interest in some lesser-known guitars or under appreciated guitars.

awasson likes this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I have all home made teles now and one buckocaster. My acoustics are all cool and I don't need any gear at the moment... kind of jonesing for a tacoma chief so my kid and I can match and I like how they sound... but, what I learned here was how to build amps assemble guitars and most of all, you don't get better chasing tone, you get better playing and even better playing with other people....

The greatest single lesson I learned was Terry Downs' thread where he did the blind tone tests and, IIRC, the tele made of wafer board won....

I'm getting ready to head to the mtns for the weekend and a weekend of playing with a bunch of people... I can't wait!

but, you make a great point!

2blue2, Mike SS, Toto'sDad and 5 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.