You know, there should be more threads about Jennifer Warnes...

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Afflicted
One of many moderately successful folkie/soft rock hybrid singers of the late Seventies, Jennifer Warnes began her career as a protege of Leonard Cohen, singing backing vocals and collaborating with the legendary Canadian folkie for decades.
Her debut album, which was released for Reprise Records in 1973, featured covers of songs by Jimmy Webb (an excellent songwriter who also worked with Richard Harris on the track MacArthur Park), Procol Harum and Jackson Browne (who also played guitar on the album). The album went nowhere and quickly saw Warnes dropped.
In 1976, however, Jennifer signed with the newly formed Arista Records, and released her 2nd album, a self-titled release, that year. It featured a cover version of the song Love Hurts by The Everly Brothers, and the soft rock classics The Right Time Of The Night and I'm Dreaming.

During this time, Jennifer would collaborate with the likes of James Taylor, Andrew Gold and Warren Zevon, but the success Jennifer found in the Seventies did not last. However, by 1982, Jennifer would record the perennial wedding ballad, Up Where We Belong, with Joe Cocker for the soundtrack of the Debra Winger-Richard Gere romance An Officer And A Gentlemen. It spent much of 1982 on the top of the Hot 100, won an Academy Award for Best Original Song and the film itself was a great release.

She would top the charts again with I've Had The Time Of My Life, from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, a duet with Righteous Brother Bill Medley, 5 years later, in 1987.

She has not recorded anything of note in recent years, but she did a recent cover of Why Worry by Mark Knopfler that is hard not to love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3wDjyjZics

And as I type this, I slowly feel like a 65 year old baby boomer grandpa. Other than that, listen to some Jennifer Warnes. You will not be disappointed. I actually have a few Ktel compilation albums with some Jennifer Warnes songs on them.
It amazes me how a lot of people talk about how successful Carly Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt etc. were highly successful female singers, but nobody ever talks about Jennifer Warnes. Maybe that will change.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Arista had the idea to make Jennifer into a second Linda Ronstadt and 'right time of the night' was a great tune and it kind of worked. But, like Linda, Jennifer had lots of different interests musically and could not be hemmed into what Arista was consistently trying to do (monkey copy acts that were doing great business.)

Clive Davis did some great things and some awful things. He took some amazing artists (a couple of them friends of mine) and tried to force them to ape other artists and, well, if you are an artist (even an amateur artist) you know what being forced to be something you are not does to your art and to your psyche.

I had that record (and loved it) and saw her at the roxy and she was great. Her 'Hair' stuff was still in the act... I think she did Starshine when we saw her and I didn't get it til someone told me about her being in Hair.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I first noticed her through her Leonard Cohen covers, which she does very well.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I had never heard of her until 1976 I believe.
Grand Canyon High School Spring dance. Apparently someone had gone to Flagstaff and brought back a bunch of top 40 45s. (We didn't have radio)
The Right Time Of The Night was one of them. I got to dance with Mary Kay.

Always had a soft spot just because of that. Thanks for sharing.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I had never heard of her until 1976 I believe.
Grand Canyon High School Spring dance. Apparently someone had gone to Flagstaff and brought back a bunch of top 40 45s. (We didn't have radio)
The Right Time Of The Night was one of them. I got to dance with Mary Kay.

Always had a soft spot just because of that. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Kay went on to become pretty dang famous!

Modman68

Tele-Holic
“Clive Davis did some great things and some awful things. He took some amazing artists (a couple of them friends of mine) and tried to force them to ape other artists”

My band in the late 80’s early 90’s went through an extended demo and development process with Arista getting as far as recording main tracks for our album only to get held up for lack of a single.

We were a weird band, part Hollywood glam part college rock “u2 on a pissy day” they were looking for something mainstream and even pushed outside writers on us…. We weren’t godhead or anything, but it did beg the question of why Clive signed us in the first place.

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
And aside kd lang & Bonnie Raitt singing harmony on the Roy Orbison Evening in Black & White - what's not to like?