You just can't beat those electric cars.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, let someone else pay for them, but I wouldn't mind taking one out for a spin.

imwjl, magicfingers99 and getbent like this.
  2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I would like to point at a supply issue that everyone ignores or does not know about. All of these EVs and alternate energy production devices (wind turbines, solar cells, tidal turbines etc.) require a large and steady supply of rare earths for their construction. Guess where 90 per cent of the planet's rare earths come from. It's a place with lots of people and a red flag with yellow stars.

Incidentally they have several times threatened to cut off the supply, because they need it for their military and technical build up, oh yeah, and they'll cut the supply if everyone else doesn't play by their rules.

Scooter91 and Kontaktmoi like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

ss-110511-petroleum-02.fit-760w.jpg

way more handsome with OIL...

4. getbent

now... if we could run vehicles on snark..... we'd be on to something!

5. getbent

it might be helpful to look at the stats for how many shifts actually put occupants in the back seat. The average arrest rate for an officer who is SOLELY on DUI patrol is just 2 per shift. So, maybe, just maybe, most of the time you don't need the comfort of 4 doors.

6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

so your cool if china builds a new factory in your town to replace all those dirty gas powered buses with "clean" electricity?

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...iness-recycling-chinas-electric-car-batteries

"
    Authorities in eastern China are turning to the courts to raise the millions of yuan needed to rehabilitate water and land polluted by dumping from an illegal lead-acid battery recycling plant.

State-run Xinhua news agency reported on Wednesday that the city of Huaian in Jiangsu province would use “public interest litigation” to pay to remove the acid and heavy metals found to around the plant and a nearby river.

The plant was one of a legion around the country involved in the booming business of reprocessing batteries used in electric cars and scooters, forms of transport the central government has been keen to promote in its war on air pollution."

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5d4b/4631f3e2564e4d0881702855c9501bd61fe7.pdf

"THe environmental burdens of lead-acid batteries in china:Insights from an integrated material flow analysis and life cycle assement of lead" in case you want to do some light reading before bed tonight.

7. getbent

China is about to go through what the states did after the first couple of waves of the industrial revolution... they see the riches of producing and building and doing AND as the standard of living improves, the workers demand more, have a better standard of living AND those same people begin demanding a better environment.... I remember the smog in LA, I remember the pictures of Pittsburgh in the 50's and 60's... heck, London hardly saw the sun for years.... but their folks wanted better and got it.

The chinese and other nations who have experienced that kind of growth will demand cleaner air and water.... just as we did... we have done a bit of backsliding, but what is occurring is not unheard of.

Kentucky has built the camry for years... so, hey, there is a history to that too.

8. magicfingers99

the entire concept of clean energy amuses me, it takes an awful lot of dirty processes to produce a "clean" battery, which doesn't have a very long life and will need to be replaced.

any technology that can produce an energy source with enough power for all our demands and being able to charge/discharge rapidly, is also from an engineering standpoint the equivalent of an explosive device.

You can't trust people to drive without looking at there phones, an act that is potentially suicidal, now to put those same morons in a vehicle that would have the same energy density as a load of tnt or a small nuclear device and expect it to work perfectly always forever and that the owners will maintain them and the drivers will use them safely is a prescription for the total destruction of civilization.

you think drones a safety problem (you should after the attack on the refineries) think what a great weapon a rapid charge/ discharge battery would make.

so I think, its a dream, and there are alot of problems that no one has even discussed, and its a "given" that this dream will be better because the "influencers" say so.

like doctors, we should 1st try to do no further harm, before we implement a bunch of half baked ideas and destroy the less than perfect world we have, on a quest for the unreachable.

so put me in the "not certain I'm comfortable with the whole deal" column please.

JuneauMike likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Electric car maneuver.

[​IMG]

8barlouie and Greggorios like this.
  10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You said: An idea without a plan is just a dream, and that is enough for most people but no way to actually build a world.

BEVs are part of big next generation plans. Having experienced Atlanta I thought maybe you haven't traveled to where metro area travel is much easier. I would need some specifics or at least more to understand how you think BEVs are somehow outside of planning.

11. magicfingers99

so will they move all the polluting industries to Saturn or Mars, as we moved ours to China? I think we are running out countries to perform environmental arbitrage with.

who is left to hold the bag?

12. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

No but turning enough of it into usable energy in large enough quantities is.

13. Toto'sDad

I predict that though at present we are not cognizant of exactly why electric cars are a really, really bad idea, we will know within a very short period of time after becoming totally dependent upon them.

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I have done a lot of reading, study and sat many presentations. Also going through contracts and tangential learning. For 6 years I was (sorry mods) the business aka conservative aka libertarian member of the city council committee that was tasked with sustainability and long range planning issues. Solar, wind farm, BEVs, new building construction and charging stations were all on our plate. As time went on I was not popular with either side. I made a lot of decisions that were not in line with the main tribes.

15. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Get over yourself dude. Energy is expended to turn crude into a usable form. No net gain in energy but there a financial gain.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  16. Toto'sDad

Electric cars are trending towards smaller, and smaller vehicles.

[​IMG]

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cali vs. Pennsyltucky.
    We have people here who "tune" their diesel trucks to blow huge clouds of soot because they think it's cool.
    Folks like this are actually offended by fuel economy.
    And they drink Coors Light.
    I am offended by that.

18. Telegnosis

Telegnosis Tele-Meister

Rare earth elements are in everything. Your cell phone, computer, your amp MIC. It's in everything we buy today almost.

And, guess what else, it's illegal for a company to mine rare earth elements in conus or to IMPORT it! Another thing not known; The moment you dig or import for conus, the swat teams will be at your door.

Hence that red flag state gets the lion's share. And it's by design!o_O

[​IMG]

19. getbent

We still produce a lot of energy... we clean up our act. the effect is that it reduces profit, but making things can be done in a cleaner fashion. China built a middle class, which can be a good thing, with it comes better educated more demanding consumers who will require better quality... they'll still make stuff (and we will return ot making stuff) but just in cleaner ways.

20. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Now there's something I already knew and completely got wrong anyway. Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.