You have no idea how badly I want this cheap Rickenbacker ripoff.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 3-Chord-Genius, May 14, 2020.

1. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hey just went to italia site double neck rick copy. sweet

Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had an Italia 12 string about ten years ago, it's entire top was covered in a blue 'Mother Of Toilet Seat' perloid plastic. Loved the thing, and shouldn't have let it go.

rangercaster and Telecaster88 like this.
  3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

The reason this site is so dangerous is that yesterday I didn't know there was such a thing as an "Italia Rimini 12" and today there's one in my online shopping cart.

4. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

You're braver than me. I'm afraid to visit their site.

OK, I just sucked up the courage to visit their site which took me directly to this one in Candy Apple Red and now I'm weak at the knees. Lord, give me strength . . .

rimini12_CAR_01.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Go for it. Looks cool and I’m anxious to hear a report on these, got a 6-banger in my sights...

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  6. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I'd love to have a rick 12 but the neck is too narrow, they nonlonger have the low output toaster PUs, and they're too expensive. The dano is very temping

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

John, you have impeccable taste...

8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, people tend to think that those "Mother of toilet seat" finishes are tacky.

But to those people; you could always look at "Mother of Bowling ball" if that floats your boat.

9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

the more you amplify the fact that is a fake, Rickenbacker on the internet the quicker Rickenbacker is going to swarm those guys with cease and desist letter and sooner you won't be able to get it.

10. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

It feels like forever ago, but a store I frequented years ago had a stockpile of these Charvels. I kept saying I would get one, as they didn't sell well at that store, and were lingering around. The store suddenly closed, and I never got my surf-fix. These are GREAT!!!!!

11. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

And please don't consider this a thread hijack, but when it comes to Rics, I really recommend playing them first. They aren't what you might think, at least in my case. I can't get along with them at all.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Nope - in this case there are enough differences that it won't be an issue. Look at the f-hole and other features.

13. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Quite right, it is taking a number of styling themes from various Ricks. It is sort of Fireglow, a sharp cornered variant on the 600 series body shape, the pickguard shape, control knob locations, and it has a trapeze tailpiece, but no-one is going to be fooled into thinking that they have bought a Rick. It is not a Chickenbacker.

14. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

carpenter likes this.
  15. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Rics have the order of the strings reversed...most 12s have the heavier strings in the 11, 9, 7,5 positions...so you hit the small string, then the larger one when you strum or pick downwards...Rics reverse the order so you hit the heavier string, then the smaller one...

That is a big part of what makes a ric 12 sounds as it does...the danoelectros and italias, etc. are all strung in the conventional manner....dont know about those ric knockoffs/wannabes....there was a guy a few years ago on one of the guitar forums who had reversed the strings on a dano 12 and its sounded really good. He had to replace the nut.....

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

About the cheapest you can find a new Ric 12 string is about $2K. I am not sure if they still make the 620-12 which was about $3-400 cheaper.

I have always hoped Fender or someone would buy them and make a cheaper line like the Electromatic series or Epiphones.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  17. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You guys are dangerous. I have never wanted an electric 12 string (although I love the Byrds sound) but now it's a thing.

AAT65 likes this.
  18. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Get a compressor too...McGuinn ran thru two of them in the studio for the early stuff...the Janglebox is designed to copy the Byrds sound...but a Dynacomp or something similar would do just fine....the Ric McGuinn model has basically a built in dynacomp...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.