1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

You guys ever hear of a company called Michael Kelly? I saw one at my music go round

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by FortyEight, Jul 22, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I don't think I ever heard of the company. The thing felt like it was pretty darned good. And the extra detail of a veneer top seems like some people would like that. It's not really my thing but the thing that I like the most is the body shaping. I so want to take a sander to my Squier Tele body but haven't yet. I play it too much right now. I need to get another guitar that is a go to guitar and then I could modify that one. OR, I just need to build up a guitar to me liking. Which would have a tele body with with belly cut and arm relief. LOL. It felt so good.

FYI it was 299.99, used.

Attached Files:

stormsedge likes this.
  2. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They were all over the place in the mom and pop shops when I was a teen in the late 90’s. Michael Kelly, Cort, Hamer Slammer, Austin - they were everywhere. The MK’s always looked good, probably had cheap electronics, but if it’s used, those might have already been swapped out.

3. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Michael Kelly, Glen Burton, Jay Turser, Carlo Robelli, Harley Benton, and I'm missing at the very least one more, all asian builds, more than one originating in the Samick factory. That doesn't mean they're bad guitars at all, just a different name on the headstock. I would say that your retailer has it overpriced by at least $100.

4. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Much higher quality guitars than the other junkers mentioned though I haven't played a recent tele or strat copy from them. I've owned 2 Patriot Customs that were stellar and recently picked up this Patriot Decree which I like even better. I took one look at the top on this one and bought it on the spot. I love the "menacing face with the mask pulled up over his nose" in the grain between the pickups. It's also the first guitar I've bought that had usable coil splitting too, better than the Customs I had whose vintage voiced Rockfield pickups were useless when split. Guitar is great ... finish, playability, tuning stability and tone are outstanding ... this from a guy who owns a Les Paul Traditional and a Vintage Guild Bluesbird.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Buy it ...

Fretting out likes this.
  6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Michael Kelly brand is legit. You don't see them much in shops anymore (at least not in my area) but they are good. They have a tele-shaped 8-string that I would like to get my hands on...

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I look at their website from time to time.

They've got some pretty finishes, for sure.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Early on they were pretty much bottom shelf but in the last few years from what I've heard they have picked up their game considerably.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got an MK 5 string acoustic bass. It’s a decent instrument.

11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I got a Michael Kelly Tribal Sun back in 2004 when I was in high school.

It was a pretty great guitar for the price. It probably could have played better but this guitar existed at a time in life before I knew what a setup was. Although to be fair I didn't figure out what a setup was for a long time.

I would own another for sure. From what I've heard the quality has improved since mine was made too.

12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I see them frequently on my local CL. Inexpensive and yes, they usually look very nice. Always just passed them by.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Man... that is awesome.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I think MK is relegated to typical Asian imports, but they are a cut above, and had some unique design features. Last year, there was a double cutaway LP in a pawn shop. I looked at it three times during different visits. Higher quality all around. Finally concluded it had a one piece body. Looked it up, and sure enough, they did a run of hogged out Mahogany one piece bodies. Never seen one before. I was really tempted, but have too many unplayed guitars now.

FortyEight likes this.
  16. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Thanks! The $300 I paid for it brand new made it even sweeter. I love the Black Vapor finish on it. The back and sides are transparent black. I tried one of their hybrid guitars too and that was real nice also.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an MK tele and it is outstanding. Sam Ash sells them.

FortyEight likes this.
  18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the design, price point and concept of the Michael Kelly 1953 T-style guitar, with its 'quad mod', but I've heard that they're on the weight-y side. :(

19. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

I bought the MK Nostalgia N-1 acoustic back in 2009 and I still own it. It was only $100 from Musicians Friend! The neck is great , all mahogany body w laminate top.

20. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

I remember seeing them in Guitar World all the time when in the '90s. I took note only because I have a friend by that name. I've never seen them in nature, but I seem to remember they marketed themselves as a bit upscale.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.