you guys catch SNL last night? Elon and Miley

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 9, 2021.

1. Gevalt

Gevalt Tele-Meister

Miley and SNL are both owned by Universal. UMG street team at work in this thread. OP is an industry shill.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

your divulgence has resulted in your cancellation-with extreme prejudice

expect the peacock drones by early this evening

3. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

I never really liked Miley until I saw her in an episode of Black Mirror. After that I really liked her, because she’s a good actress. If you haven’t seen that show, it’s on Netflix.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. blowtorch

I saw that, and liked it.
    Of course, it helps if you're a Black Mirror fan

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

she is hot...i like how wild she is

6. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

He’s awkward funny. Good job on the momologue:)( hee hee)

Nightclub Dwight and blowtorch like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I try really hard to relate and connect to humanity everywhere.
    Including "kids today" who are grappling with a different set of problems than I faced.

But a statement like "(Miley) absolutely would be the next Dolly" just sets me right back to wondering if the English language was taken away by aliens and replaced by some alternate reality.

Even dropping down to something like "as popular as Dolly was" might make it understandable as just one point of view.

But take all the components that made Dolly the thing she was and I suppose still is, to the society that was and remains in aging pockets, and apply that model to a pop singer like Miley? She just isn't and can never be all the other things that make certain icons more than a chick who sings and dances.
    If nothing else (Miley's) back story and connection to culture is not realistic or relatable as the icon thing Dolly became, without really even trying to be something larger than life, because she was busy being something down to earth.

I'm not a follower or fan of Dolly but I'm familiar with the sharecropper/ gospel background behind American Country music.
    Plus the pioneer factor.

So yeah, reminded that humanity is always inventing new ways to mystify me!

8. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Miley can sing if you don't like to.look buy her CDs Musk don't quit your day job.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Some would say Miley Cyrus has the best of both worlds.

10. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I pay a little more attention to Miley than the average 50 year old, I guess. Two of my longtime Boston indie rock friends have been in her band for over a decade and another friend does FOH and I love seeing some of the really cool gigs they get to do (like SNL). It’s awesome to see dudes who I know have loaded in and out of a thousand crappy clubs playing for big audiences and it’s great that they get to bust out a solo (like on the 2nd song last night- that’s my buddy Jamie on the Les Paul).

Not that I have any special insight at all, but my general impression is that Miley is passionately into a very wide range of music and likes to try different styles. I loved her cover of “Jolene” from her backyard a few years ago and I also think she has a cool rock voice. It must be tricky trying to be a successful artist with all the commercial expectations involved, a teen idol past, and also follow your gut in trying different things.

dkmw, don71, StevesBoogie and 2 others like this.
  11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I've become a fan of Miley. I don't like everything she does. But I respect her as an artist, and as a person trying to do her best making her way through this crazy world. I think she has grown into herself, and I can only imagine that will continue for many years to come.

And I was pleasantly surprised that Elon did a great job last night. Sure, he was a little stiff, but he's a freakin' polymath with Asperger's--which I understand was publicly revealed for the first time in his monologue. Like him or not, he is a genius who has left his mark on human culture and will be remembered for a long time to come. I can watch some movie star host SNL just about any week. It was pretty cool to get something a little different this time.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think this current cast is as good as any SNL cast there has ever been. They make me laugh every week, which hasn't always been the case.

don71 and blowtorch like this.
  12. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

I watched in the 70s from the Bassamatic (Akroyd) skit, Blues Brothers, etc.
    Stopped after that then followed the Wayne's World era for a while; liked Dana Carey too.
    Did not watch again till 2019 while Baldwin spoofed Trump. Been watching regularly since then. When the totally boring episodes like last night get to be too frequent, I'll be gone again. I like the current cast.
    At my age, I haven't seen a musical act on SNL in this past few years that I like except Adele. Not my bag. I found Springsteen disappointing at Christmas.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

She can really sing.

blowtorch likes this.
  14. blowtorch

Didn't want to "like" this.
    But I'm sorry...

telemnemonics and Deeve like this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We're good, @blowtorch - this is the Least of things you need to apologize for.
    ;)

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  16. blowtorch

:p

In all seriousness- death bites. And sucks, and swallows.

Lost my dad last fall, and yesterday's mother's day weekend gathering was the first family gathering for my mom without her husband.
    We were all gathered up at my mom's, in the yard, grilling, and I realized she had been gone for some time. I walked in the house to find her there, crying to herself. Dammit.

I told her the first one is now over.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    telemnemonics likes this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

We saw "snippets" here Downunder but what got me annoyed was his inappropriate remark about autism and Asperger's Syndrome. Pretty inappropriate for a genius at making money. No matter how much you have I think it's not fair to people, kids/parents who have to deal with such a syndrome.
    Does he think he's immune to this because he's a billionaire?
    Read about him on Wikipedia and noted he is pretty light on charitable causes.
    Maybe he could donate some $$ to help some causes.

18. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Not to sound cynical but in Nashville anyone who adds an "Uh" to the lyrics gets a credit.

Killing Floor likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

True, like Michael Jackson.
    But less talented and not much memorable work yet.

20. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

I personally think the real genius is in the pyramid scheme he is running. Cars with worse repair records than jaguar and land rover. Solar panel house roofs that are unobtanium. Endlessly harping about tesla batteries for home power that aren't available and some lights floating in the night sky. He's making millions, billions, on junk and on stuff he hasn't delivered yet. Definitely genius.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.