You Demanded It. Fender Heard You.

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
If I believed this made much difference, I would embed a slug in headstocks, cover it with a laminated face, and and have some kind of secret weapon/edge on the t-type market I reckon...

Well, I could try it, but then the reviews would be about neck dive most likely!
Except that then, you wouldn’t be able to move it around and tune out dead spots. Not so clever now, eh?:rolleyes:

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
They should make the weight adjustable with iron slugs that attach to the clamp. Then I can find the perfect resonance and produce the brown note.

Hey Schoolie - - this remind you of anything?

BlueBody.jpg

Wildcard_35

Tele-Meister
I don't recall ever thinking "If I had more sustain, this would sound sooo much better!" Although I do love the idea of messing around with a Fernandez Sustainer pickup, but I digress. Once Fender hears my plea for a thing I can clip on my guitar that will correct wrong notes and help me remember lyrics, sign me up!

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I also demanded a lot of stuff, that Fender apparently did not hear, how could that have happened??;)

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
I think we deserve to see "the data" from a well-designed study on multiple guitars; not just anecdotal reports of "this thang works... and it gits rids of my Cofid and humorroids, too..."

What next? Sales pitches like this: "Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine made my friend, Billy Bob, play like that there Ying-vae Millstein? Yeah, man... that there stuff works real good if you plays guitar..."

Thank you America's Frontline Guitarists.

Show us the data from a well-designed study!!!

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Can you explain sure I understand
If you're experiencing dead spots in the context of a chord, it is possible your intonation is playing a role. When notes harmonize, the sum of the two, or more notes is greater than the whole. So you might hear a lack of volume from a note that is not in tune/harmony with the other notes.
The more likely situation though, is the role the wood, set up, and hardware play. Some notes just suffer a weaker resonance due to sympathetic, or lack of sympathetic vibration.
There are just so many possibilities. There's two places to start anyway.

Last edited:

Ignatius

Friend of Leo's
Not to be a buzzkill, but I have one and with judicious use it can clear up dead spots. I don't know that it would add the kind of sustain that would be generally noticeable all over the guitar, but in the case of dead spots, it really does work. You have to move it around the headstock to find the best location, but it makes a difference.

Yep. They can be a problem solver for some guitars. It's part of the TDPRI vibe to make fun of anything (and I mean anything) that wasn't the way it was in 1956 :rolleyes:. Having said that, Fender's marketing language is a bit over the top, I'll agree. And yes, at first glance it does look like snake oil.

I know a guitar tech who has teched for bands and players you've all heard of. He happens to be a killer player himself, having been in touring bands and musical director for artists you've heard of and have seen on TV (especially the country fans here). He has one of these on the headstock of his Strat to address a dead spot. As a very knowledgeable tech and a very, very talented player, I'd tend to take his word for it over internet forum posters/bedroom players who very likely have fewer credentials and have never tried one of these. But that's just me.