You are in a party, someone hand you a guitar, what would you play?

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
If the room can handle the material: No Diggity. I have a cover that easily adapts to a bunch of different styles.

Otherwise: Route 66 and Man in a Suitcase.

People with a quirky sense of humor: Dumb Ways to Die

Kids: He Eats Asparagus, Why Can't You Be That Way? and Don't Stick You Finger Up Your Nose by Barry Louis Polisar.

fretWalkr

Tele-Holic
A lot depends on the guitar and who's in the room. First, is the guitar playable and is it electric or acoustic? If it's an old acoustic, rusty strings an inch off the fretboard, I just look it over and say something about it's appearance. Second, I have a song list on my phone so that I don't have to worry about brain freeze when someone say's "play something."

If the guitar is playable or even good then I would read the room. Maybe play an original if it's a crowd that might appreciate that. Otherwise something that the crowd might like. Maybe Sam Cooke's Bring It On Home to Me, Clapton's Drifting, Fogelberg's Changing Horses. Willis Allen Ramsey's Ballad of Spider John always seems to draw people in with it's story.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Either something slow and mournful to bring the room down ("Wish You Were Here" or "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda", maybe) or a Ramones song. Either way, to make sure this scenario never repeats.

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
I can't remember the last time, someone handed me an even remotely playable guitar.

The last one was my neighbors little girl's Hello
Kitty guitar.
Not the somewhat playable Squire mini... I mean, a plastic $10 Hello Kitty guitar, where the tuners slip back at the first sign of tension.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
very badly played blues upside down ( it all I can squeek out on a right handed guitar) left handed maybe an original or some Pink floyd, blind faith ,or Robert Plant

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Unless your audience has very low expectations and are drunk or you are a seasoned solo artist with lots of tuneage at your disposal it's a no win situation IMO.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
That's just happened I hesitated and I couldn't remember any song! It was embarrassing ... I played a Rolling Stones song I've been working on recently though... And that's all I pass the guitar over to another guy haha

What you guys do on that situation? Do you have party-campfire songs previously arranged?

Sadly, yes. I have many songs for just such an occasion.
Gun Sale At the Church
Alright For the Shape I'm In
I Shot Your Dog
Thunderstorms and Neon Signs
OD'd In Denver

Tim G

Tele-Meister
Depends on how much I like the people in the room. If I don't like them very much, I subject them to every verse of a bad version of American Pie. They never ask again. I usually do Liquored Up and Lacquered Down by Southern Culture on the Skids.