1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

You Aint Going Nowhere Intro

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Don Miller, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

This is a "sort of close" but by no means exact outline of how Clarence played in on the Playboy After Dark video...I know Ive overlooked alot of the embelishments...and from a practical standpoint, I skip the octave drop at the opening because I usually screw it up...While I think the alternate version is actually more correct, I'll drop to the third position ...and them back up to the 12th to repeat the phrase...add your own flurishes as Clarence and Marty both do....and consider this a rough outline...

[​IMG]

2. Iain

Iain Tele-Meister

Cheers.

Always interesting to see how other people play stuff - I'd play the 3rd note in the phrase at the 9th fret on the third string. Just the way I've always done it, really.

Thanks again. Good to see bender tab and find wee twists to how things get done.

3. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks.
    I've had this song playing in my head since I saw the video with Marty and Roger posted here.

4. tele2313

tele2313 Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting.

5. Don Miller

I noticed an error in the alternate fingering but the general idea is ok. I will vary how I play the final G...usual with a major pentatonic run down to G at the third fret low E string to start the chords...not like Clarence did it but it works.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  6. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

7. Don Miller

There is a non bender version of the intro in Arlen Roths "Masters of the Telecaster" book...in the country stringbending section. Its not named but its pretty clear what it is once you heard the audio of that particular passage...Its got a few more of the embelishments than the tab I prepared, but doesnt include Barbie Benton like the "Playboy After Dark " video does

8. jazzbender

jazzbender Tele-Meister

Thanks Don - about a month ago I rediscovered Sweetheart Of The Rodeo after not hearing it for decades. This is a real treat.

9. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

Keep in mind there's no B Bender on Sweetheart of the Rodeo. It wasn't invented yet. Clarence played Tele on that album as a studio musician. The only time he ever used a bender on You Ain't Goin Nowhere was on live performances after he was a Byrd and took the place of the pedal steel which was on the original studio track

10. Don Miller

Yep...and the tab is loosely based on the version the McGuinn-White-York-Gene Parsons Byrds did on the "Playboy After Dark" video

11. jazzbender

jazzbender Tele-Meister

Good information! You're a couple of encyclopedias.

12. olewaylon

olewaylon TDPRI Member

I'm really interested in seeing this tab. Is it still around? thanks

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Go to the Clarence White Forum. I'm pretty sure Brian posted tab of one version.

FWIW Clarence never played it the same way twice. I must have 25-30 bootlegs with it and there are little changes every time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.