1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

You’ve ever tried Anacin?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sotakoira Musti, Apr 21, 2021.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

you might be thinking of Jennifer Anacin who was in Friends....:D

2. Nick-O

Nick-O Tele-Meister

pretty sure in 1964 the media and doctors alike would recommend a cigarette to calm any nerve issues.

Refugee and Greggorios like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t need aspirin in my coffee or coffee in my aspirin. Don’t take it at night. If the acid reflux from the aspirin doesn’t keep you up the caffeine will.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

At the time, it was thought that higher serotonin levels would reduce anxiety. Later research revealed that this wasn't true for all people, some needing more help in increasing levels and others needing help reducing levels. But, for the average person, a mild increase in serotonin will improve their mood and, yes, reduce anxiety.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-serotonin-425327

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm old enough to remember the constant Anacin and Excedrin commercials on TV ( '70's) - but had forgotten about...Used to watch Lawrence Welk Show with my parents and it was Sominex, Geritol, Polident!

Then Tylenol came out and aspirin had competition!

( I'm an 'Ibuprofen man', myself- chronic back pain, but need to watch it)

6. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Did you know that Bayer patented aspirin in 1899, and it was available in the US in tablet form without a prescription in 1915? They stopped promoting it and concentrated on their newer, more effective miracle pain reliever, taking out a US patent in 1900 for Heroin.

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Anacin - good stuff .

8. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

It wasn't until I lived in the South that I discovered BC headache powders that come in the little folded packets. You can mix them in liquid or place them on your tongue and chase. Horrible, acrid taste, but they work faster than pill form. And you're asking for trouble if you take them on an empty stomach.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Retired pharmacist here. There have been products like Anacin with a combination of aspirin and caffeine on the market for more than a century. It's well established pharmacologically that caffeine and aspirin together work synergistically for pain relief. The two when combined are considered to be especially effective for relieving headache pain.

Of course, not everyone responds to medications the same way so while for some people it works well- even helping some with migraine headaches, for others it may not. Unfortunately, both aspirin and caffeine can have deleterious effects on the stomach, so people with any kind of stomach trouble should avoid using any product that contains aspirin.

As for relieving anxiety, I can't think of any possible reason that aspirin and caffeine would have any pharmacological effectiveness in that regard. After all, commercials in the 60s were hardly paragons of truth in advertising (see Ralph Nader).

tery and Greggorios like this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

BC is awesome—works well for mild arthritic pain as well...but you’re right, you better have something in your stomach or you’ll be miserable.

I remember Anacin—never knew about the anti anxiety claims—but caffeine does help headaches, due to vasodilation...and I have less anxiety when my head isn’t hurting, so maybe they’re not lying.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Of course...

12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yup:

13. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

This works if you take it as soon as,you feel a headache coming on...

81Uuok2eUPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

14. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

If you have found an Anicin bottle with pills inside, they have probably been expired for decades. Don't ingest them. Always check the expiration date on the bottle before taking.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

This was back when you could walk into any doctor's office and ask for a Valium prescription, and get it.

16. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Actually, 1964 was the year the US Surgeon-General said that cigarettes cause cancer. The jury was still out, at the time, on pipes and cigars.

But before that time, like in the '50s, cigarette commercials stated that X out of Y doctors smoked their brand. It was in 1970 that cigarette commercials disappeared.

And none of the pharmaceutical commercials at that time had fast-talking and barely understandable warnings of side effects at the end of the commercials.

17. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Keep this in my desk drawer with a Tylenol or Ibuprofen, or two, just for emergencies....and to remind me that I am old.

upload_2021-4-21_9-1-25.png

upload_2021-4-21_8-59-5.png

18. David C

David C Tele-Meister

There's a lot of advertisements from the 50s and 60s that make me chuckle. The famous line from Anacin was "Mother, please, I'd rather do it myself!" The line was always delivered by a hot headed, quick tempered Mom who took a couple of pills and had a complete personality change into a loving, caring mother. All in a 30 second commercial.

No wonder us kids who grew up in the 50s and 60s had issues.

DekeDog likes this.
  19. David C

David C Tele-Meister

So what do you keep in there now????

20. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I remember that lots of commercials for pain relievers in the '60s made me want to end it all after watching them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.