Yoiks! Another Strat - and pickup questions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Leon Grizzard, Oct 19, 2020.

1. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

A lot of it was Gibson and Epi archtops with the occasional 335 type. The 335/Sheraton type was the choice for Nashville session players well into the 70s. Reggie Young kinda made the Strat a popular choice later, but Teles weren't used very often.

2. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Zo - I am making progress on this guitar. I came across a neck from a Deluxe Player Strat, which has a 12" radius. I really like these necks, and it is a huge improvement over the not-very-well-manufactured neck that came with the body. The neck feels wide and flat; great for clumsy fingers, especially my western swing rhythm. I have a sunburst Deluxe Player Strat already, that I am going to leave with the Fender Noiseless pickups.

The Andrew Prebora Hot Custom pickups that came-with don't do it for me, even after lowering them. Too hot; don't sound right to me.

I am tempted to spring for Seymour Duncan Vintage Flats, with a SD Twangbanger in the bridge, to get a bit more Tele-ish there.

I would ask this of SD, but I asked a question several weeks ago and just got an answer a couple of days ago, so I'll ask here:

It looks (to me) from their website, that the SSL-2 Vintage Flat is just one model pickup, to be used in all three positions, unless you get a set, in which case you get a reverse wind/polarity in the middle pickup. Is that right?

If so, would I buy a reverse wind/polarity middle pickup for that position: that is SSL-2 for neck, vintage flat rwrp for middle and Twangbanger bridge?

This may seem real obvious to you guys, but I want to sure I'm getting it.

3. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

And finis.

I replaced the neck and body (just kidding). The neck had some issues: poor manufacturing; the heel was lopsided a little and the neck was little narrow, also. I bought a new Fender replacement neck, which was okay, but then saw a 2013 Deluxe Players Strat neck on Ebay. They have a 12" radius that I like very much, so I bought that and will sell the other necks. Would have preferred blonde aesthetically, but that's how it goes. Seymour Duncan Classic Stack Plus pickups - dead quiet and sound great to me, and bought a harness with volume and master tone with push/pull for 7 sound switching. I think I would prefer a mini switch. I think that would be quicker to use than having to palm the pick and pull up on the pot. Mini dome knobs because I could not pull up on a regular Strat knob for the push/pull. If the weather holds, I can play a gig with it this week.

With the volume knob moved down out of the way, I can rest my picking hand heel on the bridge like I do on the Tele. Much better to me.

Thank everyone for the advice. It really helped me get clarity, or at least as close to clarity I can get.

White Strat finished 2.JPG

FortyEight and Zepfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.