1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yngwie...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Commodore 64, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Tonight Yngwie Malmsteen is playing local. I was recruited to help with the load in (and load out) tonight. Because there's a whole bunch of stuff.

[​IMG]

Now, as everyone is surely aware, some of these cabs don't have anything in 'em. But a lot of them do, and we wired up 12, 100W Marshalls on the right hand side. LOL. It's gonna be "an earplug night"
    [​IMG]

Random Thoughts:
    • I'll be working security as a bonus so I get to attend concert.
    • Have you seen the video where Yngwie has a pile of yellow guitars? And he picks one up sets it back down, etc, after he says something about it. A little unceremoniously, too...Well, when the truck pulled up and we opened the trailer, and there's like 30 Marshall heads kinda all jumbled up in there. Just like the video, but amps, not guitars.
    • Power tubes are all JJ or Sovtek as far as I can tell.
    • Preamp tubes are vintage for the most part. A mish mash of GE, Magnavox, RCA and other silk screens were noted.
    • SOP is to make a stack, then put ratchet straps across the whole thang. You know, so if it falls, it kills whoever is underneath.
    • Yngwie's roadies are very cool, and there's no arrogance or BS goin' on.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Shango66, basher, gee. and 8 others like this.
  2. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

God bless Yngwie for flying the flag for Fender and Marshall all these years! Gotta love that insane wall of Marshall's!

Thanks for sharing too. He's the only player I know of who's backline has actually gotten bigger since the 80's:lol:

3. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

How utterly ridiculous.

dr_tom and nojazzhere like this.
  4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sure it’s a little ridiculous, but I can appreciate the old school, guitar god, show biz element.

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love it when you see a big pile of amps, and at some point in the show somebody walks up to them and contemplatively gives one knob a slight adjustment. You just know it's gonna make all the difference in the world.

My son and I saw Yngwie a few years ago, and his guitar tech was not having a good night. The boss was handed the wrong guitars, he'd start whaling away on a song and no sound would come out of the guitar, the tech couldn't keep the pick holder filled, and so on. He even stopped throwing the guitars at the tech, he undoubtedly figured one of them was bound to hit the floor. At one point Yngwie left the stage with the tech in tow, and was gone for several minutes. That left the band on stage, and the bass player started talking about the latest Ovation Yngwie was playing, "plays like butter". After about four helpings of butter, Yngwie came back on stage and carried on.

Funny thing, the guitar wrangler who was having such a bad night did the obligatory minor adjustment shtick later on. Must have snapped out of it, whatever 'it' was.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

we're not worthy!

brbadg likes this.
  7. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

I saw him years ago he opened for DIO He was the new kid on the block.
    I still enjoy what he can do with a Strat.

8. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Really? Did you expect a wall of Princetons?:D

9. Stisch

Stisch TDPRI Member

This made me laugh! I love this statement.

10. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

It's nice to know I'm not the only guy who can't afford a Kemper :D

Jules78 and brbadg like this.
  11. ArchiMark

ArchiMark TDPRI Member

Is it just me that's bothered by the fact that the two stacks on the left end don't match the 4 stacks to the right of them?

Think it would look much better if they all matched....
    but maybe that's just me....

;)

Stisch likes this.
  12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Posting about Yngwie is so much fun!

Crowcaster likes this.
  13. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Yep,it's you!:p

ArchiMark likes this.
  14. Stisch

Stisch TDPRI Member

It bothers me that there are more heads than cabs, and the one stack isn't the same height as the others. But if I could afford that many Marshalls I wouldn't care if it bothered people.

ArchiMark likes this.
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

I’m interested to hear your impressions of his sound. Man, it’s gonna be LOUD [emoji3]

16. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I did a show in a venue where yngwie was in the next night. The stage manager looked at my rig (telecaster into blues junior) laughed and said ‘pathetic’. I said if you can’t play it through this rig, you can’t play it. Apparently yngwie had about 12 amps: stripped back show because Australia.

17. cwinn

cwinn TDPRI Member

Man, that's a fascinating couple of pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I'm about 500 miles south of you, so I'm going to open my windows tonight & listen to the show. Thanks for the heads up!

Squittolo likes this.
  18. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Yngwie is not my style, but i've been following him since his days in the band Steeler with Ron Keel. I own a bunch of Yngwie albums, but with the exception of a few songs most of his music seems like filler to solo over.

He is over top, but entertaining.

19. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

Now THAT would be cool!

brbadg likes this.
  20. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

So, Overall I'm glad I took a personal day and was involved in this small spectacle. I didn't get to enjoy as much of the concert as I had hoped, mainly because I inadvertently also volunteered to be security at the show. I didn't quite know what that meant or what was expected. The venue is a smallish affair, and it's a hodge podge of folks who make the shows happen. So I'll just outline some things you may or may not find interesting.

• The prime concern of the venue owner is fear of the Fire Marshall. Probably for good reason these days. Blocking aisles or coming up front to the stage is not allowed to happen. But Yngwie kept encouraging the crowd to get up and get close. He really went to great lengths to connect with the crowd. And the crowd was way into it.
    • The prime introduction I got to my volunteer security duties was: make sure nobody goes back stage, the exits are clear, and there's at least space in front of the stage for people to enter/egress.
    • During soundcheck, it was discovered that Yngwie's fog machines could not be controlled by the venue's lighting controls/system. Yngwie was very particular that there were a few cues where the volcano fog machines would spew lights and fog (i.e., erupt), simultaneously. So the security guys were hastily recruited to perform that function (by pressing the manual button on the machines at the proper times) . We rehearsed for about 20 minutes (making the show 20 minutes late to start). I thought this was kinda cool though, and outside of the 2 important cue moments, Yngwie encouraged us to "fire the MotherF'rs" whenever we wanted as long as we were in sync. Ha Ha, this was gonna be fun. He clearly loved these little volcanoe fog machines. You could see his eyes light up every time we set them off, even in sound check. Dude clearly still loves the whole playing experience. Remember this was on a Monday towards the tail end of a fairly long tour.
    • Yngwie wanted at least 10 powered monitors on stage in various places. So the venue had to hastily call in some reinforcements, but they were on top of it, and it was pretty seamless.
    • We were another 20 minutes late in starting because there was a rep from Earthquaker Devices who wanted some time with Yngwie to try some pedals. So he did some wanking around with some pretty sweet sounding pedals. At this point, the owner of the venue comes in with a real red ass, and wants to know why the opening band wasn't playing, and about had an aneurysm when he realized they weren't even set up yet. But Yngwie is also particular about opening bands not setting up until he is 100% done with sound check, etc.
    • Opening band SunLord: a set of real nice guys. They were wiped out, this was 15th show in a row for them. They indicated they could set up in 8 minutes. Though it took about 20. They put on a pretty heavy rockin' set. The vocals sound a bit like Lemmy. But the crowd was mostly late 50s and older folks. Like people with walkers and stuff (who impressed the heck out of me, as they were diggin some pretty rockin' bands). So Sunlord had a tough row to hoe, and they rocked out. I helped them load/offload, and was standing out in the alley watching their gear and the bass player exhaustedly noted that "it's a hell of a lot work, for 30 minutes of music". He was bummin' a bit too because his bass head blew up during the show.
    • One of the venue's main PA Speakers blew. Bad, bad rattling sound of blown speakers. They got it sorted near the end of Sunlord's set. But apparently the owner was pretty upset ("Another F'ing thousand dollars", was heard by people nearby)
    • So anyways, we finally get to Yngwie's set. And we nailed the first fog volcano eruption. Sweet.
    • Yngwie gets everyone up and swarming to the stage. But everyone is enjoying themselves, drinking, jamming, some wafts of weed. But nothing crazy, IMHO. And the crowd was diggin' it. And Yngwie is diggin' it, and in my own simple mind, I figure when in doubt, defer to the talent and the crowd. Everyone seemed to be diggin' it. And that's what music is all about. I had to put earplugs in, but I will say that Yngwie was loud, but not EAR BLEEDING EARDRUM KILLIN' loud. He was gettin' his tone, and it sounded good.
    • Owner comes storming down, grabs me and starts shaking me, screaming and MFin me up and down. "Aren't you Fing security do your F'ing job...Get these MFrs back to their seats etc, etc". I'm trying to explain to him that Yngwie keeps calling them up to stage. Mind you, all this is going on in front of the stage where music is blaring at 300dB. LOL.
    • So we get everybody back, kinda, to their seats and the aisles cleared. And Yngwie starts exhorting everyone to come up and get close. LOL. So another mobbing of the stage ensues. At this point, I'm still figuring the right course of action is to let the band and crowd jam and have a great, fairly intimate experience in a small venue.
    • Lighting guy comes down, says we need more volcano eruptions. So me and another security guy squeeze up to front of stage, get in place to blast (hand signals to synchronize). And we nailed it. Yngwie smiles, the fog volcanoes are erupting....and the Spinal Tap moment happens. Fog machines draw a fair bit of amperage when erupting. And they are on the same circuit as Yngwie's 12, 100watt amps. LOL. Stage goes dark, music stops, and nobody knows where the fuse panel is.
    • So we had to unplug the fog volcanos, and we never did get to do the other eruption cue (after Yngwie played the Star Spangled Banner).
    • Once power was restored, Yngwie comes back out like nothing ever happened. I'm reasonably sure he's blown a few fuses with this whole amp/fog getup. Hell, that was probably his goal the whole time.
    • Crowd is mobbing the stage, angry at the sudden sound deprivation. We 4 "security" volunteers are just trying to keep a lane in front of stage. I turn to look on stage to see what's happening. And I'm getting screamed and and shaken by the owner again. "Do your Fn job, F you, blah blah blah blah."
    • At this point, I'm thinking "Holy Hell, what did I get myself into". I took a personal day off work to be accosted by people I don't know and flirt with a hernia twice, once at load in and once at load out.
    • A thought passes through my mind to turn the tables and MF the owner and just leave. But then he calls me over and asks me to keep a sight line clear for an old lady in the front row, but very oblique to the stage. I realize, this poor guy has a tough row to hoe, too. I hate to say it, but I was kinda glad when she got up and left before the encores. (one less thing to worry about).
    • Throughout all the yelling and screaming I finally came to understand that the aisles have got to be kept clear (Fire Marshall is on the venue like white on rice). Of course people keep getting up, mobbing towards the front. I found out that I had to just keep walking up and down every aisle, physically (but gently) moving people to the side while apologizing, and begging them to "please keep aisle open". After about 10 minutes of this, it settles down to people keeping the aisles open so long as I walk through regularly. Just this one PITA guy who was air guitaring to beat the band, eyes closed and tenuously managing to keep his balance. It broke my heart every time I had to ask him to step back. (Seriously, I felt bad. He was really diggin' Yngwie).
    • Once this got sorted, the owner was pleased, even amicable. He apologized for his antics and thanked me for getting things under control. All's well that ends well.
    • I stopped counting at 60 Marshall heads. Sadly, Only about 12 of them were empty. Towards midnight, having to go to work the next morning, I was really questioning my sanity (and judgement). And the poor roadies got to do it every day...
    • Many of the dummy Marshall heads had been pillaged and cannibalized over years of touring. Some were missing tubes. Some had tubes that were white (lost vacuum). Unfortunately, they all still had transformers...If I was really bold and stupid, I would have suggested to Yngwie or his tour manager (really nice guy) that the chassis could be removed from the heads and save about 30lbs. But that would probably make too much sense to be taken seriously...
    • I got a Yngwie pick early on, during sound check. Yngwie flings a lot of picks.
    • Later in the show, one really, really drunk gentleman was desperately looking for a pick that bounced under the stage. Like he's stumbling, crouched, trying to make his cellphone flashlight work, head under the stage during all the chaos. I spent what seemed like ages considering whether to do the right thing or not, hoping the poor bastard would find the pick. And internally laughing at the ridiculousness of this situation. So I reached into my pocket and got my Yngwie pick, and helped the gentleman up, and put the pick in his hand. He was too drunk to realize, I think. But at least I got him back to his seat.
    • Loading out, I found another Yngwie pick. So it's all good. Yngwie likes pretty stiff, pointy picks, BTW.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Wallo Tweed, Shango66, Teleka and 9 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.