Yngwie Malmsteen gives quick Stratocaster history lesson

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
That was a fun video to watch. Of course Yngwie puts vintage guitars directly on the floor. And he has only one telecaster...the Jimmy Page model!
I've always found his interviews where he talks about guitars interesting, because he has such a fetish for the Stratocaster that he knows every minute detail about the development.

StoogeSurfer

Tele-Afflicted
I can agree with everything he says except his stance on the Fender vibrato design, there have been improvements to it. The best one I'm familiar with is actually on my PRS SE Custom 24. Same essential design but tweaked to make it play rather more perfectly.

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
I can agree with everything he says except his stance on the Fender vibrato design, there have been improvements to it. The best one I'm familiar with is actually on my PRS SE Custom 24. Same essential design but tweaked to make it play rather more perfectly.
You're probably right, but I don't even think he has a single PRS in his collection.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Seems like a pretty nice guy.

From what I could see, it looks like he keeps all his trems decked. C'est vrai?

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That was fun.
Interesting to hear the loose trem arm rattle when he moves it.
Something Fender should have fixed 65 years ago and still hasn't fixed to any permanent level.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
They did with the pop-in arms.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/understanding-the-fender-pop-in-trem-arm/

But, I still don't see any real detriment associated with a loose vintage-style arm. Just turn it in a few turns and it disappears, anyway.
Yeah they did, then didn't put it pop-in on many guitars . Some say the pop in's aren't all tight..?
My slop only disappears when too tight to swing fast.
A Callaham threaded type I have seems to work fine without slop though. So that tells you it's just a matter of asking for better thread tolerances and paying that extra 35 cents.... Imagine that.
There are different classes of threads, obviously the Fender class is like 50's Chinese.

jamesepowell

Tele-Holic

I was also surprised he said that. I am not an expert on the subject, but I think the G&L vibrato is much better.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah they did, then didn't put it pop-in on many guitars . Some say the pop in's aren't all tight..?
My slop only disappears when too tight to swing fast.
A Callaham threaded type I have seems to work fine without slop though. So that tells you it's just a matter of asking for better thread tolerances and paying that extra 35 cents.... Imagine that.
There are different classes of threads, obviously the Fender class is like 50's Chinese.
Yeah, I have a Callaham on mine, too. The 64 length. Highly recommend that length. I love it. Sits right where it needs to in the palm of my hand while playing and not using it.

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
That was a fun video to watch. Of course Yngwie puts vintage guitars directly on the floor. And he has only one telecaster...the Jimmy Page model!
There's another video of his talking about his vintage strat collection, including an early '54, and they are literally stacked on top of each other against a couch! Look for it on YouTube. He was like, "This is an all original 1954 strat" followed by CRUNCH!!!! when he pulled it out of the middle of a bunch of other strats...

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I enjoyed that far more than I thought I would! The Strat design is so ubiquitous that it's easy to forget how revolutionary it was when it was first released. Leo really was a genius.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I enjoyed that far more than I thought I would! The Strat design is so ubiquitous that it's easy to forget how revolutionary it was when it was first released. Leo really was a genius.
And, in addition to the milestones it reached in functionality and comfort...aesthetically, it is a work of art. To my knowledge, a lot of that credit goes to Freddie Tavares.