Y'know When Some Guy Wants to Sit In...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paul in Colorado, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Darwinism at its best :lol:

2. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

If they can play a lefty , they are welcome .

3. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I've seen one blues guitarist who plays around a multi-state area regularly and he invites people up so often it's like he is auditioning people. Every time he plays he invites someone to sit in on drums, or he'll pass his guitar over to someone, or the mic. Of course, it probably helps that he is really good so it is unlikely someone would "show him up" or whatever, but I suspect part of it is to get people interested in his act and maybe by letting them play he's expanding his network of people to get gigs with?

Has anyone ever used "sit ins" to their advantage that way? Maybe you have to be a certain type of freelancer or something. I don't have any idea.

4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I tried this a few times in my youth, being nice. Had my guitars scratched/dented/dinged by "Townsend wannabe's" leaping around the stage. Had a near new Gibson gouged out by some moron with a huge ring on his middle finger which he decided to use a pick. NO MORE. They need to go to an "Open mic night" somewhere, and bring their guitar.

5. gtrjones

gtrjones Tele-Holic

Who in the world would ever have the cajones to ask to sit-in w/ Gatton?!?!

:eek:

6. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

While we took a break, I let a guy play a few solo songs at the request of my side-man guitar player (we were a duo) who knew him. It turns out he was the lead in a Broadway-style musical in Toronto...boy could he ever sing. He was also a fantastic guitar player. I have no problem with people being better than me. But he was, as they say, a hard act to follow. Honestly, he blew me out of the water. Sheesh. He also went home with the prettiest girl in the bar...I hated that guy lol.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I guarantee that if you give a guy a crappy piece of equipment and let him play, the rest of you are going to get the blame for the bad vibe. Have you ever actually seen the guy hitting the clinkers get the blame for them. There is some strange phenomenon that causes all the sour notes to be laid at the feet of the the guy(s) not doing it while the offending party goes free. Do yourself a favor just say NOOOOOOOOOOO.

8. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Good point.

9. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

If you are really, really good and a guy, who is not intoxicated, asks to sit in watch out.

As the story goes, Hendrix asked Clapton with Cream. I think Clapton had to get whisky drunk later that night.:oops:

10. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Tele-Meister

Besides the fact that they might damage your guitar I think the main problem comes down to this:
    Either the guy sucks and it will ruin the vibe of your gig or the guy is really good and will make you look bad.
    Either way you´re screwed, so "no" unless you know who you´re dealing with.
    :)

11. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

I can't believe someone beat me to this....so here goes for double measure..

ForumRunner_20130205_152808.jpg

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I never set in unless invited and never had anyone set in unless invited. I remember once when we were a house band the owner told us no "set ins" unless he was a vetted guest. We already held that position. Absolutely no drunks with stars in his eyes.....

13. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

fantastic!

14. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

or, no, I don't do that. :arrow:

15. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

...besides all those guys moved to swfl, where nearly every gig is based on depending on non-paid players to sit-in and carry you. HEY MAN, PLAY ANOTHER ONE!
    first they *announce you* ...ENDLESSLY... so you look and FEEL like a **** if you don't ... but before that you're sliced bread.
    sheesh i hate this place.

i actually get phone calls to show up. happened today. i don't answer. heck, i can't even go check it out without getting nailed.

16. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

No one but me is ever going to touch my guitar. About a year ago, against my better judgment, I let a guy at a friendly song swap--he wasn't a complete stranger--play my Grosh ElectraJet because he wanted to see what it was like. Didn't realize he was wearing this big cowboy belt buckle. It put some scratches in the back plate…thank goodness it didn't scratch the finish or I would have been furious…at myself. Never again. Letting a complete stranger play my guitar? No way in he**.

When my band plays we don't let people sit in if we don't know them. We've all had one too many bad experiences with letting drunks, a-holes, lousy players etc. sit in in the past, so with my current band, it ain't happening. On the other hand if friends of ours are in the audience we might invite them up and in fact that can be a lot of fun.

17. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I went to a ble jam tonight at the music shop. There was a guy playing bass that some of the guys talked into paying drums. I had read on the meet up forum he really wanted to focus on the bass. Anyway, they talked him into it and talked me into playing bass. I made sure to ask if it was his bass or the shops. Not that I would thrash on either, but it was good to know. It was fun but I cam to play guitar and he the bass, so I swapped him back after 2 songs. Made me think of this thread...

18. chainsaw

chainsaw Tele-Meister

Isn't that what karaoke is for?

19. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

I think keeping a Squire as a backup guitar is a great idea, no matter if there's a guitar player who is just dying to get up on stage with the band.

But I guess I've been lucky, living in Dallas, TX.! Most gigs don't have uninvited musicians who want to get up on stage. And many places around here still have their blues jam nights most of the week...where musicians meet other musicians, to jam, network, etc.

20. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

Really? This sounds like something the offending party wants to believe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.