1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yet more proof that texting & driving is dangerous.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Strat-Mangler, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

I swear I keep reading idiots' posts justifying, rationalizing, and downplaying how dangerous operating a phone is while driving.

[​IMG]

2. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

In the UK it was announced today that the police will confiscate the phones of people involved in accidents so make sure they weren't using their phone.

I see all sorts of crazy stuff when I am riding (motorbike and bicycle) around London.
    I saw a guy watching a movie on his iPad (that was in his lap) the other day.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Impressive.

I dunno if it's a causality factor, but it seems like the penalties for stupidity are much lighter than they once were. Maybe "dumbass" isn't as fatal as it once was, so we get to see people doing this as adults when previously they would have taken themselves out long before getting to that point?

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hate to call out my own brother on this, but he doesn't do this any more: on long boring trips, he used to take out a harmonica and play it while steering with his knees.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

They have the technology to stop texting and driving, but hey it's just business. Texting and driving kills more teens than drinking and driving.

6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Same as drunks as far as I'm concerned. I see them weaving out of their driving lane every day coming to work. That and finishing a text when the light changes to green. Get off my lawn.

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Obviously some wild speculation on my part but I think it probably has to do (either entirely or in part) with how stupid people successfully have sued and won landmark cases.

That in turn promotes stupidity since slapping idiots upside the head and saying "you should simply NOT have been stupid in this case" was out of the question.

Therefore stupidity is rewarded. People seem to rarely be made accountable for their own stupidity.

8. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Incredibly dangerous and very selfish.

9. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Last October a friend of mine was picking his Harley up from the dealers, after getting some work done for Biketoberfest in Daytona. While stopped at a stop sign, he was run over and killed by someone texting.

10. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I ride a motorcycle, and the prevalence of texting-and-driving has got my stress level cranked up every time I sit at a stop light. It was bad enough before, but now...

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A little over a year ago, a young lady on a bike sitting at a stop sign was run over and killed less than a half mile from my house by a person texting. (also speeding and could not have possibly stopped for the stop sign from the estimated speed she going when she hit the motorcyclist) The person who killed (murdered?) her got nearly nothing in the way of time for killing the young lady, got probation, and almost nothing else. We as a society are to blame for some of this stuff, because we don't have the guts to do anything about it when it happens. Some things should have mandatory sentences. No whining, no deals, you do the crime, you do the time.

12. DTPBUSCHPILOT

DTPBUSCHPILOT Tele-Afflicted

Just wait there didn't used to be any penalty for drinking and driving cops used to give you a ride home or sometimes even pat on the head and send you on your way saying be careful!

13. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

Yeah I never text and drive I just couldn't

14. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

I had a friend that justified her texting and driving by saying "I type one letter and look up then repeat" (In summation). She said that everybody complained about her driving, and I was in the car with her when she was texting and driving using the aforementioned technique. Despite her technique, which was based on stupid reasoning, it was obvious why everybody thought she was a bad driver.

She also had two DUIs under her belt, so she wasn't the most responsible person. I've been in cars as a passenger with people under the influence of alcohol (although not extremely over the limit), and people who fiddle with their phones are far worse drivers.

15. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Seems like we view driving as some sort of unimpeachable right in this country, and thus we're very hesitant to take that "right" away from someone when they abuse it. Should we have something more like what (I think) they have in some European countries, where every infraction takes away points, and then "poof" goes your license?

Our cultural attitude toward cars and driving makes it hard to teach young people to see it not as a form of entertainment, but as an incredible privilege and responsibility. And I'm not excluding my youthful self from that group. Some of the stupid stuff I did behind the wheel (or handlebars), I'm lucky to still be around.

16. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

It is tied in with too many things that are close to being rights.

Without a car in this culture you are not able to hold down a job, without a job you have no health care, no home, etc.

I personally have known (and helped), three people that were homeless in homeless shelters, because their cars had broke down. In each of the cases a specific automotive mechanical failure, (not their fault either), ended up causing them to be homeless.

Public transportation in this country is a joke, and one that needs to be fixed. Even here in the bay area, with "the best public transportation" in the country, you can only get very selective places using it, and then only at certain hours of the day. I have been in plenty of "developing nations" that had far better public transportation than anything here.

So yes people treat it is a right, because there is no other alternative.

Texting while driving is stupid though.

17. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Just a reminder: if you want to talk about what a bad idea it is to text and drive, that's fine. But as soon as you get into what laws should or shouldn't be passed, that's a political discussion and outside our rules.

Thanks for your cooperation, CS

18. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

Just got my license a few days ago and I don't see how it's possible to text and drive...when I'm making a turn or something and I look away for more than 3 seconds to see what the other cars are doing I start to swerve. I don't see how someone could manage to keep their eyes and concentration glued to that stupid phone for 10-15 secs at a time without killing themselves. It pisses me off to see.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I mentioned this before, but I could have drove my car over a bicyclist who was pedalling and texting at the same time! I was waiting at a traffic light and when it changed to green I looked both ways first and saw a woman on a bicycle, looking at the phone she was holding in one hand, continuing into the intersection. (She had no helmet on, if you are awarding Darwin points.) She crossed in front of me and continued on without looking up or noticing the light was red for her. I should have honked but I was concerned that would startle her and make her crash.

20. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

That is a good attitude towards texting and driving, you have to be vigilant behind the wheel. (you'll also getting better at turning without swerving:p)

My daughter is getting close to being able to take divers ed, it is the single biggest worry I have right now. I worry about her generation, texting is such a prevalent form of communicating. I am doing all I can to stress to her that driving is a privilege and not a right. I will not tolerate her trying to text while driving.

My real fear is the other people on the road. I can do my best to teach her not to do it, it is the people that we all share the road with that worry me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.