1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yet another "Yet another "identify this wood" thread" thread.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dr_zaius, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

My vote is Northern white cedar heartwood. The nearest domestic US wood grown that compares to balsa. This stuff is extremely light, dents very easily & does not hold screws very well (your bridge) make small pilot holes). It is very resistant to decay so it is used outside. I made a potting cabinet whose raised panel doors split lengthwise on the hinge stile after about 6 months. I made chips out of the boards I had left so the bride could use the cedar smell in the closets. Mine was 4/4, thicker may work well. Good luck.

2. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

It's obviously Christmas tree wood then. :lol:

3. dr_zaius

dr_zaius Tele-Meister

Im not too worried about splitting. This piece came from a 2x6 (actual dimensions) beam that held two swings and a see saw/swing thingy. It had no warp and no checks, so straight I could have glued up the pieces without running them through the jointer (I did run them through anyway). I have quite a bit of scrap left over, I suppose I can use them to test how well screws will hold in the body. I'll post some pics of the progress soon.

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

Douglas fir. That stuff is soft.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.