1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Yet another weight thread, but hear me out...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mrchen, Mar 3, 2021.

1. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

This thread is not meant to be about tone, or light vs heavy, etc...

I've been shopping for a new Fender for a few weeks now, and nearly every retailer that lists weights of the instrument for sale has new Fenders at 8 to 8.5 lbs. This includes all MIA strats, teles, in almost all production models. Jazzmasters and other offsets come in closer to 9 lbs. The only teles coming in under 7.5 lbs are the 70th anniversary Esquires on almost every site!
    • Is ~8lbs +/- 6oz the current benchmark for standard production Fenders? I know the CS guitars always come in at 7 lbs or under, so are all the light tonewoods just getting funneled up to them?
    • Or possibly it's just a phenomenon where the lighter guitars are sold quicker than heavier ones, thus giving the impression that everything is heavy nowadays??
    • Or alternatively, guitar demand is at such a high volume right now that guitar makers are ordering any quality of wood they can get their hands on??

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure about all of your questions, but Fender definitely, I read, saves the lighter weight wood for their premium guitar ranges.

Dismalhead, mimmo and Jakedog like this.
  3. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

They seem to be getting a bit heavier to me. The Esquires are lighter because they're pine, though.

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a fairly new vintera 50's strat I bought used and its heavy- I have not weighed it but it is noticeable when I lift it up and put it on

5. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

There is only one sort of weight inspired thread I am interested in, and this sure aint it.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Are you sure the retailers are posting the weight of the actual guitar? If you shop at Willcutt they list the weight by each serial number they have, along with all the other measurements you may want. I just looked at a MIM model in one color, they have 11 and everyone has a different weight starting at 7.42.

7. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I remember a gentleman once stating “a heavy car holds the road better”. He was certainly old enough to know better at the time.
    I’ve heard some players state that you get better sustain from a heavy guitar. Perhaps they are young enough to not care to know.
    Probably, most folks in the market are much younger, and perhaps more robust, than old guys who seek out lighter variants, and have the means to afford them.
    Decades back, I would hike with a fifty pound pack. Now I go out for four days/three nights starting around thirty-seven pounds including four liters of water.
    Presently, I an building a partscaster that starts with a three pound, one ounce body.
    Keep looking until you get what you want.

8. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I’ve heard the supply is getting lower, so I guess it’s getting more difficult to get lighter pieces.

Dismalhead likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

It's your second and third points. Guitars are selling faster and preferentially the lighter ones first.
    Wood is hard to get because of higher demand and low supply and building some guitars is better than building no guitars.

Construction grade lumber pricing is sky high right now. 2x4s are double to triple what they were. Chipboard sheathing is at least triple.
    Housing construction is intense with material price increases, used homes are selling fast at higher prices, California and New York families are moving deeper into the interior chasing lower cost of living and any house they find is so much cheaper than where they left that they are willing to over pay and get in bidding wars.

With all the housing comes the demand for new furniture. All the lumber going into fine and not so fine furniture is vacuuming up all the guitar lumber in the process.

Dismalhead likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Get one made and of paulownia.

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

All my keeper guitars end up being heavy. I don't know if that says something or not, but I think maybe it does. I have spent many thousands of $ chasing helium guitars and amps. In the end I caused myself more physical work than if I just played what I liked regardless of weight.
    Just throwing that out there.

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 All of my keepers have tended to be heavy too and that is after A/B testing with others. Both my tele and strat are exactly 8.5 lbs. My other electrics have been heavier.

My steel body reso is what I call heavy though.:eek:

13. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

• "Or alternatively, guitar demand is at such a high volume right now that guitar makers are ordering any quality of wood they can get their hands on??"
    This seems to infer that heavier wood is lower quality than lighter wood? I'm not sure that's true.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why do you think Custom Shop Fenders are always under 7lb?

Your premise is full of inaccuracies so I suspect you are misunderstanding something about listings.

15. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

The CS guitars consistently come under 7.5 lbs regardless of model run. Just something I’ve noticed and it’s definitely in the current zeitgeist that most folks prefer lighter guitars right now.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I see them all the time 8-9lb. Just academic for me. No personal interest in CS.

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

An observation - I think the weight fixation coincides with the same concern in prewar Gibson Mastertones (12+ lb). I also noticed other things in the solidbody world follow suit from the acoustic world - nitrocellulose, Ebony vs Rosewood, bone, etc. I personally think some of these do matter on a flattop, not so much on a solid body, including weight. I liken it to sympathetic pain, like father's having contractions, etc.

18. Flaps

Flaps TDPRI Member

I've recently got a Mex Tele and mine's 7lbs 13, it was the lightest of the other 5/6 that they still had for sale, a slightly lighter one had already sold, so that suggests point 2 is correct. All the Teles I looked at were around the same weight though which I was surprised at as my SG is 1lb lighter and is noticeable.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

All the good trees have been cut down, eaten by bugs, or burned in wildfires.
    Now there's nuthin left but bad trees!

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hint:

When discussing solid body electrics, never say TONEWOOD!

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.