Yet another "use your turn signal, dang nabbit", thread

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
Why don't cars come with turn signals that can indicate when the driver wants to make a U-turn? On thing that REALLY peeves me is when I'm making a u-turn and the driver to the left of me in the perpindicular right turn lane (reverse for left side drivers) starts making their turn when I'm green to make my u-turn. Perhaps a flashing light on top of the car or some such thing to indicate your intention to make a U-turn?

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I'm with ya brother... I hate that.

1642117734320.jpeg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Allegedly, some places let some knuckleheads decree that left turns were the scourge of the roadways so they bonded for barriers in the middle of the roads in said places and over time the glorious news of said victory over left turns spread across this great land eastward, inland and north and south and now U turns are becoming the only left turns in cities and towns everywhere. Not everyone lives on the right.

I hear you, but nobody wants to make U turns all the time.

When left turns are outlawed only outlaws will turn left!

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I'd settle for people just using their turn signal.

But, I know what you're saying. If you're in a state where it's popular to have divided roads in all the settled areas and u-turns are a common thing, you always have to be watching for those folks. I always remember a commercial they used to run in the old days, before I even drove "Drive defensively; watch out for the other guy".

koen

Friend of Leo's
When I approach an intersection and turn on my blinker to turn right, why do people from the side road wait until I turn and only then cross? Hello, my blinker is on, you don’t have to wait.

Now get out of my car!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
And how would a signal for a U-turn differ from a left turn? If your making a U-turn your doing something a little unusual. So, put your left turn signal on and then it is your responsibility to watch for traffic coming up on your left.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
When I approach an intersection and turn on my blinker to turn right, why do people from the side road wait until I turn and only then cross? Hello, my blinker is on, you don’t have to wait.
Because sometimes drivers don't do what they signal, or accidentally turn the signal on, or are actually signalling to turn at the driveway after the intersection, etc., etc. Better to actually see the car turning to get out of the way before entering. I've even seen people start to turn into one shopping area entrance, change their mind, and reenter the main road lane about halfway without looking and turn into the next entrance.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Why don't cars come with turn signals that can indicate when the driver wants to make a U-turn? On thing that REALLY peeves me is when I'm making a u-turn and the driver to the left of me in the perpindicular right turn lane (reverse for left side drivers) starts making their turn when I'm green to make my u-turn. Perhaps a flashing light on top of the car or some such thing to indicate your intention to make a U-turn?
Silly....that's what your horn is for.

Now get out of my car!
Because I don't trust that you even know what that blinking light on your dash means. ;)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Here's the way this works, if you are sitting at a traffic light and the signal is red, you can turn right, in fact if you don't hurry up and turn right, the guy in the huge RAM 4WD diesel is going to drive right over the top of you. He's already given you fair warning by yanking on the chain of his specially built KW air horn mounted on top of his cab. If it's nighttime he's also flashing his high beams. Then what happens? Some yahoo in a Prius is trying to make a U turn IN FRONT OF YOU, you can't go forward, and you can't go back. they either ought to outlaw U turns, or Right on Reds, they can't peacefully co-exist together, and that's a fact!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Here's the way this works, if you are sitting at a traffic light and the signal is red, you can turn right, in fact if you don't hurry up and turn right, the guy in the huge RAM 4WD diesel is going to drive right over the top of you. He's already given you fair warning by yanking on the chain of his specially built KW air horn mounted on top of his cab. If it's nighttime he's also flashing his high beams. Then what happens? Some yahoo in a Prius is trying to make a U turn IN FRONT OF YOU, you can't go forward, and you can't go back. they either ought to outlaw U turns, or Right on Reds, they can't peacefully co-exist together, and that's a fact!
Sorry to be Captain Obvious and all, but if folks would simply pay attention and practice "heads up" driving, most of these issues wouldn't even be "issues". Thus endeth the sermon. ;)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
How can you practice heads up driving when you are answering an urgent interchange text on Facebook on your telephone?
.....while juggling an Egg McMuffin and a cup of hot coffee at the same time? See, our grandparents didn't always have a tougher time than us! ;)

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
And how would a signal for a U-turn differ from a left turn? If your making a U-turn your doing something a little unusual. So, put your left turn signal on and then it is your responsibility to watch for traffic coming up on your left.
Of course you are correct. I have just always wondered why there isn't a specific type of signal for a U-turn..... in fact, it would also be good for the folks behind you that aren't going to make a U-turn, but only a left turn, so they knew to back off!!!